NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hooray, New Baby Congo for Me!!!!!

Luvparrots

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat with 5 plus baby greys at Eva's when I was picking out Issac...he was the most gentle. He came and sat with me willingly..I was in love. And sat with him for some time before I could actually take him home. And I still remember his little head looking at me as we drove home while he was cuddled in a shoebox with fluffy padding. Ohh my....I love my bird.

PS: Baby greys are so darned cute.

Waiting, waiting is a piece of cake!!!! I waited two months for Ana Grey and drove the members of Greyforums crazy with my silly and ignorant questions about greys. I'm sure Dave, Dan, Judy, Penny, Caroline (miss you) and Pat (miss you too) and others were very entertained by my ignorance but thirst to learn. They were always there to respectfully help and encourage me. Right now I have a cage and toys to buy, room to re-model and a family (all cat people by the way) to tell that I have yet added another long-life parrot to my flock!!!! I have a lot to do and get ready for!!!!! What fun!!!

It will be interesting, a TAG and a CAG. Two completely different kinds of greys, let's see if they are different if raised the same, basically. I am really excited about this. Ana Grey is headstrong and very fearless. She can read me like a book and knows when she better shape-up just by the tone of my voice, I am very animated around my flock.

You'll definitely see obvious differences and actually, that's a good thing. The personalities, likes and dislikes of certain things will be different. Attitudes will be different. Being more sure of itself will be obvious. TAGs aren't like CAGS in that department. A TAG is more bold and will like being in your face. In the future, a TAG might like to show that it's a bit of a bully. A TAG will be more brave with outside things such as moving appliances or may try to nip at a rag that's wiping down a cage if the TAG is in the cage. CAGs would much rather avoid that. Basically, the TAG is very outgoing. The CAG isn't. But the only way people can actually see all of these things is having them side by side in a home where they can be observed on a constant basis as time goes on and the basic nature of each appears.

Well the preparations are advancing slowly but surely. I have figured out what cage, toys and necessary things are needed to prepare Isabella's homecoming. Have called our avian vet to see about the three-day wellness check and micro-chipping and all is coming along swimmingly!!!! So thrilling!!!! and expensive!!!!!

Just talked to my Isabella's breeder, Eva, to take care of the final paperwork on my new baby. She tells me Isabella is being well socialized with smaller types of parrots and is very friendly and loving. The babies watched the football game yesterday, poking their heads out from under the cloth to make sure they could see all the action! I'm very excited about this whole new adventure. Ana Grey's reaction is the only thing that gives me pause. Isabella was hatched 12/2/10 so it will still be awhile. Thanks everyone for your congrats; I am so excited!!!

Morena, my avian vet will microchip for $65.00. Of course, my young grey is also having a wellness check as I have just purchased her and she must meet certain weight and health requires before my vet will microchip her. The chip is not for tracking her whereabouts, it is scanned by a veterinarian to prove ownership so that an animal can be returned to the rightful owner. Remember I am in the USA and even the costs across my country vary.

Morena, my avian vet will microchip for $65.00. Of course, my young grey is also having a wellness check as I have just purchased her and she must meet certain weight and health requires before my vet will microchip her. The chip is not for tracking her whereabouts, it is scanned by a veterinarian to prove ownership so that an animal can be returned to the rightful owner. Remember I am in the USA and even the costs across my country vary.

I know everything is different in US so I asked my vet. She said that, by the law, bird must have a ring or a microchip. It is not expensive at all to microchip a bird but she says it is a nasty procedure because chip must go deep in their chest muscle so the bird

must be completely sedated, can't fly for 10 days afterwards and must be supervised at all times in case of the bleed. I am grateful I don't have to put Zak through that. In Croatia we put same microchips in dogs and casts. I don't know how it is at your end.

When Ana Grey was micro-chipped she was not put to sleep and the chip didn't phase her at all. My vet for my birds as an avian vet perhaps that is the difference. Ana Grey is a Timneh and at almost 3 years old she only weighs in at 297 grams She has had her micro-chip for about a year and a half and it has never bothered her. I am quite pleased with the security it gives me that if she is every lost I can prove she is mine. If she ventures out the door and is found she can be taken to a vet and free of charge she can be scanned for a micro-chip. My name and address are registered with Ana Grey's micro-chip number. This is a personal choice I have made for my greys.

Edited by luvparrots

My vet is avian vet, in whom I have complete trust, and they have newest and best equipment in Croatia but that still doesn't mean that there is no difference in the size and purpose (cats and dogs) of the microchip along with the procedure of implementing it. Regrettably, I think there is a big gap between our technology ant the one of USA. Maybe I'm wrong, but we are behind in many things, so why would this be any different :-S

There's usually no after effect. Birds can immediately fly ( if they have wings) Some birds don't even need anesthesia. It's an extremely quick procedure. Many birds don't even know it's being done. The chips are different sizes depending on the country. Other countries use larger ones. The size used here is about 1/2 to 1 grain of rice.

There's different chips and there is no universal reader. Many other situations can happen with them. They're simply used for IDs. Here in the US, only avian vets do that procedure and most people use avian vets for all their bird's needs

Edited by Dave007

Well, I am disappointed. I e-mailed my CAG breeder to see how much, taxes and all, she needed to pay off my account in anticipation of my new baby Isabella. I get back an e-mail telling me all the babies were male!!!!! I would stake her life on the fact that she told me she had three females!!!! I have to wait to see if the next older babies are perhaps female! I guess mail-order is second priority to hand-delivery!!!! She did say she had two older males ready, but I wanted a female, she did give me a choice to choose!!!! I do understand that TAGs and CAGs are not supposed to breed but I just don't want any hankie-pankie between Ana Grey and a new grey. I hope there is a female in the next three!!!! Names chosen, Isabella or Irene.