NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help with horny lorikeet!

Azzie

So my rainbow lorikeet Sam is about 4-5 years old, and has been moody and broody for some time. About a year ago she became very broody (loud, nesting, really runny poos and very aggressive, especially about the cage). This ended after several weeks, but she has continued to try and make nests at the bottom of the cage.

I used to use newspaper as a lining, but replaced it with sawdust, and she would spend all day shredding the paper and making a burrow. She still tries to make a nest with sawdust, by kicking it into a pile and trying to make a hole in it. She is still aggressive, masturbates on her perch, and often mates with her cagemate Kip (red collared lorikeet).

Sam has not laid any eggs. I am quite at my wits end what to do with her, as she is still aggressive towards me, even when changing the food, and she will sometimes chase Kip around and fight with him. At other times they are best buds and groom another and play together.

What should I do? Shall I get Sam DNA tested so I know for sure she is female (I think she is, due to the nesting and aggressive behaviour), and let her have access to a male lorikeet? Will this get it out of her system?

Thanks!

It's best to separate them until the hormonal stage passes. I don't know how long their hormonal state lasts but keeping them together just increases the hormonal actions of the *horny* bird. If satisfaction isn't guaranteed, one could get aggressive with the other especially if the *horny bird is very dominate. Hormonal stages do pass though. That whole hormonal thing goes on with many species and it doesn;t matter whether the birds are the same sex.