NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Anyone put two females together in aviary?

Mongo

If you are talking about two greys the answer is No, even if they seem to be best buddies when out on a playstand together and this makes no difference whether you are talking about two females, two males or one of each. I don't know how old your two are but especially if they are mature birds then they need a space they can call their own, they become more independent as they mature and need a cage they can call their own, their safety zone though they may spend their time out of the cage together they still need separate cages.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you say that. I have 2 male greys who live together in the same cage happily and have done for some time now. I also have a friend who has 2 female greys living happily together.

Now I completely understand that their "friendship" could change at any time and am prepared for that but my two at the moment are great buddies, preen each other, the older one feeds the younger one and they get their own space when they are out of the cage.

It might not work for everyone and not all greys will get along but it does work for me :)

I understand they are a big game if they go together it can work but it could go bad.

I think the best is to have two cages and let them decide when the time comes to move in together and then go into the same cage.

a friend of mine has two gray and they are males and the gun goes well together but they decided themselves to go into the same cage together.

I have tried to get together my timnhe with another timnhe but they just do not she gets really angry.

so I think the best answer is to test but have two cages and let them go slowly and the main track the birds to decide for myself.

Oh yes I agree you can't just stick 2 together - it has to be a gradual introduction and you have to be prepared for the fact that they may never get along and how you would manage that. :)

However I don't see how they cannot live in the same cage if they do get along as they are flock birds mostly.

NikB, yours might be the exception to the rule and there is always going to be those cases but as a general rule it is best to provide separate cages and more than likely sometime in the future you are going to have to do just that for your two. I couldn't be happier that you have two greys who get along so well together and I hope it stays that way but you always have to be prepared in case it doesn't.

I volunteer at a Sanctuary and through observation and experience I can tell you that 2 or more Grey that get along very well perhaps for years can suddenly (like us )have a disagreement that involves loss of toes, foot or beak damage requiring Veterinary attention. That is why most of us keep our birds in seperate cages allowing play time out together when supervised. Reattaching toes is not successful.

I understand that and appreciate the sharing of experience but I am also sharing mine. Just seems that it's not as appreciated and I think people should be advised an not told an outright no. Let someone make their own decision and weigh out the risks themselves. I quite openly stated that I know the relationship between my two could change at any point and I am prepared for that. But I also don't think I am putting them at risk by housing them in the same cage.

NikB - I think your experience is definitely appreciated! This is not an area I have any personal experience in because I only have one bird, but it seems to me that everyone is giving their own experience so that the original poster can make an informed decision. Just like you are sharing yours, others are sharing theirs. No two birds are alike, nor will they behave in the same way in a given situation. So yes, your experience is just as valid as anyone else's experience. And I for one am not thinking that you have made a bad decision - as long as it is an informed decision. All the BEST to you. :)