NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Grey 'No' Sound

Elvenking

Hurray for Issac!

I am always amazed at how effectively Moussa is able to communicate with me. Some of it involves sounds, but much of it involves glances in a particular direction, leaning in a particular direction, pulling my hand to him or pushing it away, and other nonverbal signs. And he definitely shows me that he understands a lot of what I say. Sometimes it can feel like we have just had a real conversation, even though there was no sound made. When we have really connected in an exchange of meaning, it feels like a holy thing.

My husband and I think that having the Grey is more like taking an ET into our home than having another bird. It's like we're gradually learning each other's languages.

Moussa: "Take me to your leader. Oh, wait. It's me!" LOL!

It's funny you mention reading them like that. You begin to know exactly what they are going to do next...most of the times. The way they duck down and look up when they are about to fly. You can see the calculation of push off, effort and then bam...fly! You can tell when they want you to come closer or stay back. That hyper extended neck when something has really caught their attention. I love watching him...it just never gets old.

Dexter does a sound like the "test" mode of a smoke detector "BEEEEEEEPPPPPP". Ear piercing... and difficult to ignore, but hey we love out birds!

Same with Babalu! Whenever he does not like something going on or if we are ignoring him when we are in the same room as him, he makes this same beep sound and it hurts our ears!

I had a sound of tropic bird that squeaked when windows restarted. Zak imitates that sound but at least 15 times louder and when he makes it, being on your shoulder, from excitement or protest, it resounds in my head and there is a humming sound in my ear for at least 10 minutes :-S

For "no" sound he says "piu, piu, piu" fast, in high pitched voice veeeery loud. But this is a "no" like protesting on "why the hell am I still an the cage" type of thing.. When he knows he did something bad or sometimes he doesn't want me to do something he says NO. Piu, piu sound is more frequent..

Edited by Morana

Oh, I love the "Uh, oh." It cracks me up when my conures say that. I will hear some piece of a toy or some other noisy object hit the floor in the bird room. I'll hear it go bouncing across the floor, and then in the silence that follows: "Uh, oh!" Cracks me up every time. Does Issac use it in context yet?

I've been skimming over this thread the past few days... I'll finally stop lurking, haha. :)

Well, I will admit, Marcus seems to have a number of sounds that mean "no" and he seems to switch them freely upon a whim--but it's probably just me losing something in the translation! A lot of times it's a loud 'clack' kind of sound, and he has this funny sound like something squeaky on a hinge that might mean "yes", but I really don't know for sure. It doesn't seem consistent (not that I have ever heard an English "yes" pop out of his beak, but he certainly says "NO!" well enough when he wants to!). Either way, I have been thinking lately that a lot of what I think are bizarre human-world noises (like the aforementioned 'squeaky hinge') might actually just be natural Grey vocalizations that I am assuming are things from my environment because my ear might twist them into more familiar tones, so thanks for starting this thread! It provides a lot of food for thought...

Tonight Neo's "NO" sound was a definite frightened scream (that I have never heard before!) after he got his beak stuck in the toy ring. I NEVER want to hear THAT again!!!!

In all fairness, there's a distressed panic sound, and that's much different from "NO! I don't want that."

I know that I'm very fortunate. So far I have not had a true "NO" sound even though I have done things (bath time) that were in the "NO" category. He is a sweet boy and has been very cooperative to date. But he is only 7 months old.

In time. In time. lol

When we have bath time, I get total silence lol. They know what's coming. Last bath: Willow (through body language) objected, but once she got under the shower, she went bananas and we spent a good 20 minutes with her jumping from the shower curtain to my head to my hand asking for more. Leo, on the other hand, wanted none of it. Quick dip and he was more than done.

You'll get the "NO!" when you offer a finger for a step up for bedtime and your grey doesn't necessarily think it's bedtime. Or some similar situation.

Edited by Lambert58
typo

Oh, I love the "Uh, oh." It cracks me up when my conures say that. I will hear some piece of a toy or some other noisy object hit the floor in the bird room. I'll hear it go bouncing across the floor, and then in the silence that follows: "Uh, oh!" Cracks me up every time. Does Issac use it in context yet?

Not yet..although I am enforcing that now..(even if I have to drop something on purpose ;) ) But at first...he is so happy to do something that gets a reaction like it does out of me...that he repeats it crazily for the first few days. I love anything new from him...and he loves to make it happen.

In time. In time. lol

When we have bath time, I get total silence lol. They know what's coming. Last bath: Willow (through body language) objected, but once she got under the shower, she went bananas and we spent a good 20 minutes with her jumping from the shower curtain to my head to my hand asking for more. Leo, on the other hand, wanted none of it. Quick dip and he was more than done.

You'll get the "NO!" when you offer a finger for a step up for bedtime and your grey doesn't necessarily think it's bedtime. Or some similar situation.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I thought Issac would be sweet forever as long as I loved him with all my heart. It's not 'mean' you have to worry about.....its FUN you have to worry about. LOL. In time....in time.

Is your grey going to remain flighted?

Oh...and I beleive they all have a 'no' sound....it just takes a bit of observation to notice. Usualy a fluff up and maybe a head duck will accompany a 'no' sound.

Edited by Elvenking

Brutus does something similar as a warning. Sometimes he does it when he thinks things are moving too fast or if situations surprise him. It sounds like a short, high whistle. I DO pay attention to these warnings. Not to do so, would be putting myself in harm's way.

Hi, Elevenking! I love this thread. Thanks for posting it. When I first got my Grey, she did a distinctive double click and I quickly learned this was her way of telling me "NO!" She doesn't do that anymore, though, but did for a good six months or so. Now she seems to just move my hand away with her beak, or take her little foot and push me back. (SOOOOOOOOOO adorable!) She does growl, though, if something or someone quickly approaches her that she doesn't like. Oh, and when we are leaving a certain friend of mine's house, she growls as he puts her inside her carrier, then she grabs the carrier door and growls at it, and then when she's locked away inside, says, with the sweetest sounds ever, "Love you. Love you. Good bird!" It's such a manipulation and half the time my friend lets her come back out for one more kiss. (He's a sucker, too! We humans are at these birds' mercy, aren't we!?)

Congratulations on Isaac's "Hello" and "Uh oh!" today! Enjoy! Many more words and sounds will no doubt be forthcoming, but these early days are precious as you realize you've got a creature that communicates in our language.

Okay...Issac started using 'uh-oh' in context yesterday morning. He was dropping a toy off the top of his cage and then looking down and saying 'uh-oh'. Then he went to the refrigerator and tossed somehing off and said it again. What a cutie. He is still working on clear pronunciation of the words he is working on. But to see him trying is so much fun. 'Uh-oh' does come across the clearest.