NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Issues with Murphy in his cage & also intelligent communication a little lacking.

reggieroo

I still seem to be having some issues with Murphy while in his cage. While I try to give Murphy as much out of cage time as I can he never seems to be happy in his own cage when I have to put him back in. Most days he is out pretty much all day as I work from home, coming & going as he pleases from his stand in the living room to his cage just outside my study door.

There comes days that I get busy doing jobs etc & Murphy has to go into the cage for a few hours & this is where the issues start. All he does is walk back & forth across his food dishes for hours on end making this rather repetitive squeaky type sound with the odd whistle thrown in for good measure & this has been going on for months now. It's becoming a little annoying to say the least as one of the problems is he poops in his food & water dishes which then needs to be changed resulting in wasted food over & over. Also the squeaky noise is getting irritating as it's just the same noise over & over for hours on end until he eventually gives up. At this point I'll go let him out as I'm trying to teach him that the silly little noise won't get you what you want. The odd time he will try & talk & again I will answer this straight away to try & teach him a better way of communicating with me. If he does decide to go sit on his perch he will just hop from one foot to the other or keep turning round & round, over & over.

The only time he seems truly happy is while sat on his stand in the living room, even if I'm not in there with him & he's on his own. A choice he has made by flying in there even though I may not be in there, if he wants me he will fly back to his cage top or my shoulder as more often than not I'm sat here on the PC in the study working. While sat on his stand he will sit & chat away in his attempts at human speech & all the other funny noises he makes but very rarely does he do this in his cage. If he does then I will of course answer him & give him lots of encouragement. I want him to be just as happy in his cage than while on his stand for all those time when he can't be out, like if I'm busy or not in.

I wonder is it my fault for giving him so much freedom in the first place? All I want for him is to be happy while in his cage & to be able to communicate with me on a more intelligent level so I can chat with him more & that way he gets more attention. I have yet to see the so called grey intelligence that I have read & heard all about with other peoples greys. When he sits there squeaking he gets ignored so as not to reinforce it but when he makes a more intelligent attempt at communication he gets attention to give him positive reinforcement. Right now he is sitting in his cage right opposite me squeaking away but getting ignored, why doesn't he get it?

Is it still an age issue as he is only just over 12 months old? Is it that he has not got the Independence of an older grey to entertain himself while in his cage? Lot's of people greys live mainly in their cage with only a couple hours outime a day & they seem to have no problem, like people that go to work all day. He has me here all day, nearly everyday, you would think he would be happy as Larry wouldn't you?

Oh one thing I nearly forgot to add is if only seem to behave in this way if I'm in the house. Say for instance I nip out to the shops for an hour & Kate is at home, he is fine.

If anybody can give me some useful advise to try help with this issue that will be much appreciated.

Edited by reggieroo

I read your post over a number of times and there are a couple of things I would like to add.

All greys are not the same but they are smart. Our CAG Corky never said her first word untill she was 2 years old(25 months) and than she started nonstop Also I notice you did not mention any toys in her cage. I don`t know if you do but they could keep her from paceing if she had them to play with. When she does something good you have to let her know because that is just as important as ignoring maby more important IMO.

Corky CAG and Cricket BFA will go back to their cage with no trouble because we always have some thing there for them that they like and they look foward to going back foe a treat or to play so in cage time is just as much fun.

I hope I read your post correctly

Murphy has plenty of toys in his cage, this was something I made sure of within weeks of getting him home. We always buy him something new if we see something when out & about but most often he is scared of it for few days as with most greys. He's not long started playing with his birdie babble ball that he has had for ages but only in the mornings before we wake. I hardly ever seeing him playing with his toys though & when he does he gets lot's of praise to encourage him to play more. Praise & positive reinforcement is something I use all the time but it just seems that he can't settle in his cage & his sole mission in life is to escape to be with me 100% of the time. If he thinks he is to be put back in, he will give you one hell of a runaround & just as your about to put him through the door he takes off.

Edited by reggieroo

Lot's of people greys live mainly in their cage with only a couple hours outime a day & they seem to have no problem, like people that go to work all day. He has me here all day, nearly everyday, you would think he would be happy as Larry wouldn't you?

...and lots of people's grey's aren't. Lots of them pluck, display destructive behaviors & become unmanageable.

You're sensitive enough to him & home often enough to know that being caged & separated from you distresses Murphy. He's sensitive enough to you & you're around often enough for ***Murphy to know that his distress distresses you***.

A grey will continue any behavior that gets him a reaction for as long as it suits his need for the reaction.

When you say you ignore him, you mean you don't interact with him during certain behavior. Not that you ignore him. Not that you can tune him out & just carry on as if he wasn't doing it. There's a huge difference & Murphy is probably more atuned to it than you are.

The status quo isn't working. So how about a change? Acknowledge that you're not actually ignoring him, both to him & yourself. Try not to be angry & frustrated with him because he's got genuine emotional needs at inconvenient times. Start by putting new food cups into his cage where he won't poop in them. Simple solution. One less stressor. Noise canceling earphones for you? Bird videos for Murphy? Make it a point to connect with Murphy at regular intervals when he's in his cage, no matter what he's doing.

It would be good to figure out what Murphy gets on his stand that makes him so happy. Is there a window? Can he see or hear something that he likes? Is the baby in there? Can he watch the door & wait for Kate to come home?

I could certainly be wrong, but to me it sounds like his behavior is begging, not demanding... need vs want. For whatever reason, Murphy's needy right now. You expect him to understand why you're withdrawing from him at certain times. But you don't understand why he's driven to need your attention at the same time. How come he's supposed to be so smart??

Edited by birdhouse

I'm definitely no expert but have had some of your same issues. Echo didn't talk until she was 14 months old, and then it was just stray words here and there that she didn't seem to understand the meaning to. Now she and I will have a 15 minute conversation. Her vocabulary has exploded in just the last two months. Thumper, my youngest, is only 7 months old. He already says two words and mimics many sounds. They each develop at their own rate. I'm sure he is picking things up earlier because of Echo. Echo has also always seen her cage as the 'necessary evil thing' that she must be in when I'm at work and at bedtime. Thumper on the other hand, loves his cage and Echo's cage. He will stay out for up to an hour and then take a break in his cage. He will then come out of his cage and fly into Echo's cage to hang out for a while.

When I brought Echo into my home as a baby, I was so excited and overindulged her every whim. She had some issues with being overly dependent on me and was not developing normal independent play. It was impossible for me to be in the house and her in her cage without her exhibiting the exact same behaviors as your baby. I went through a hard few months of correcting that mistake. Like you, I never saw any sign that she was playing with her toys either. I had the best luck with using foot toys and highly shreddable toys to teach her independent play. It was a long process, but she will play with almost anything now and has started just in the last month entering her own cage without being placed in there.

***intelligent communication a little lacking.***

Just what do you think is intelligent communicanion?

There's different ways of communication.

1--by association

2--by mimicing

3--by natural means

#1 is when a person does soimething and uses human language. Eventually, when the bird sees something or hears something, he will verbalize what he's heard in the past when seeing or hearing something. Take that particular sentence and scramble it up and the bird won't repeat it until he hears it like he's used to hearing or seeing it.

#2 is when a bird starts saying a bunch of things that have no connection to what a person is doing or saying. The bird is simply going through it's repetitive sounds that he has the ability to say from past learning. This may happen in the early morning and late afternoon and before sleeping at night.

#3 has to do with the bird constantly speaking to a person by using it's own language to communicate. It goes on all day. It takes a while for a person to learn parrotese. This is especially true with greys and other parrots that can talk but never will talk. They too communicate with people. They are definitely as talented as other birds who use other methods to communicate.

As someone already said, the simple method to getting him into his cage is to have a treat that he can't resist. Make sure he sees it and slowly to keep his visual attention while you put it in.

Some birds are gonna be obstinent about going in a cage. They're not gonna follow orders like a domestic pet.

As far as crapping in the bowls--very easy solution here. Remove the bowls so he won't hit it. if you put toys in the exact same place and the bird will play and crap in the exact same location because birds don't diffreniate between items. The bowls and toys are simply in the same area where he craps so there shouldn't be in that area. You can prove that to yourself by taking those bowls and putting them somewhere else.

Another simple example of learned by association communication------

When leaving the house, you look at the bird and say ***See you later*** and leave

Eventually the bird will see you going and say the exact same thing. No more, no less.

Repeat the whole process, when coming home you say in a sound that the bird can hear * How ya doing**

Eventually, the bird will repeat the same thing when you walk in. No more, no less.

I am home everyday, all day and all evenings with my birds. They each have a time of day he/she likes to vocalize, I acknowledge their right to clear their pipes, so to say. Right now Louie, my zon, is squawking up a storm. I, of course, am typing. I talk to him and ask him what he thinks he is doing and adding in a few of my own sounds and words. Ana Grey joins in and Sully throws in a shriek or two. I ask them if they want and nut and Ana Grey, of course, answers, "want a nut" and I go in and open up their cages and hand out a pecan each. Now everyone is quiet. They got acknowledged and given a treat and all is quiet in the world of Moulton fids. Take the time to find out what Murphy wants or needs and perhaps you can bring peace to your household as well. They squawk or hop around for a reason, see if you can find out the problem and help Murphy fix it. Good luck.

Murphy has plenty of toys in his cage, this was something I made sure of within weeks of getting him home. We always buy him something new if we see something when out & about but most often he is scared of it for few days as with most greys. He's not long started playing with his birdie babble ball that he has had for ages but only in the mornings before we wake. I hardly ever seeing him playing with his toys though & when he does he gets lot's of praise to encourage him to play more. Praise & positive reinforcement is something I use all the time but it just seems that he can't settle in his cage & his sole mission in life is to escape to be with me 100% of the time. If he thinks he is to be put back in, he will give you one hell of a runaround & just as your about to put him through the door he takes off.

The thing i notice about Issac, and he may be unique in this respect, is that the harder I try to get him in the cage...or the more urgent I make it...the harder it is. I usually set 5 minutes aside to get him in. Then I will just repeatedly explain to him that he has to be a good boy and I tell him about what I have to do. This leads to flapping up onto my shoulder to get away from 'the hand that will put him away' a few times...some flights to other perching locations...but the miraculous thing is....he will eventually just give up and let me place him in there without even having to cover him with my hand. Something to try.

The other side of that is Issac is almost always out when I am home. If he is in his cage...he will do his pathetic little floor scratching at the bottom of the cage for a bit and give up. Something about what you are doing is letting him know that the irritating sound is getting to you. Issac picks up my Conures noises and that is pretty irritating to me....but I just look away when he does that and then praise the heck out of him when i hear otherwise. He still does the noises...but sometimes if I get really excited about something he does....he will do it for days.

All of what you hear is intelligent communication though...even if it's not the sounds you like....it seems you understand exactly what he wants.

What I mean when I say "intelligent communication lacking a little" is I'm expecting a little more than a squeak. He was communicating a lot better not so long ago, he would whistle, make funny noises & attempt some human speech & I would always respond with something back & some praise. I guess it's just a little disappointing when your grey sounds like a canary all day when you know he is capable of more than that. You want that level of interaction with your grey to make it fun for you both.

The pooping in the dishes never used to happen, only because he spends so long now pacing back & forth on them & then needs to poop. I will have to buy some dishes that can be fitted anywhere in the cage as the ones I have are specifically for that cage & can't be moved as they are on the swing out doors.

He was just in his cage a minute ago & Kate wanted to go outside so she shut his door, now he's all anxious & pacing back & forth because the door is shut. As soon as we open it again he will be fine.

As for what makes him happy on his stand, I would say the fact that he is 100% free to come & go as he pleases. He does like to chew the hell out of it & it looks a little worse for wear right now, so I thought maybe he needs more wood to chew so a while back I gave him some new natural perches from my apple tree. These he tucked into right away but now doesn't bother. I've tried changing toys around in his cage but still rarely see him playing with them, I don't think there is much more I can do on that side of things.

It feels like the only thing that makes him feel happy & at ease is if he is free to come & go when he wants & also my undivided attention all the time. In this situation he seems like a happy go lucky grey, chatting away & making us laugh with his silly mannerisms. You put him back in his cage & he appears anxious & stressed that he can't get out to me. Maybe it's making me feel the same without me knowing it & he is picking up on it, I don't know. He does seem very dependent on me, I'm the one he always wants to be with & the only one who can handle him without fear of any bites.

He's young & going thru yet another stage, vocally & emotionally.

"I guess it's just a little disappointing when your grey sounds like a canary all day when you know he is capable of more than that. You want that level of interaction with your grey to make it fun for you both."

Not helpful, under the circumstances. These are your expectations which aren't being met. He's not a toy.

" As for what makes him happy on his stand, I would say the fact that he is 100% free to come & go as he pleases."

But are you actually certain of that? He could be hanging out on top of his cage or swinging from the curtain rods. He chooses to be there, for a reason. He can be totally free any other number of places. Why there?

It feels like the only thing that makes him feel happy & at ease is if he is free to come & go when he wants & also my undivided attention all the time."

... although you've also said...

"The only time he seems truly happy is while sat on his stand in the living room, even if I'm not in there with him & he's on his own. A choice he has made by flying in there even though I may not be in there,"

Right now, I think you're understandably frustrated. Murphy's been tough to raise & you'd like to think you've worked hard enough to have things under control by now. You love him. You think you know what his full potential can be & you want him to live up to it.

WHY WON'T HE JUST GET WITH THE PROGRAM & MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY?

...because it just doesn't work that way.

He's a pretty good bird who's got some issues with some things. If you just try to find the patience, you'll both get there.

Patience is what has kept me going all this time, he has been extremely tough to raise & Lot's of people would have given up by now & re-homed him, not me I see things through & of course I know he's not a toy. I think most people, would be lying if they didn't want good interactions with their grey I'm just being honest & saying it how it is.

I know Murphy's been a challenge almost from day one, and because we all have good days and bad days, it's ok to wish on one of your bad days that he, at least, could go easy on you. I'd give you a big hug if I were there in person. I also know that you love Mr. Murphy because, as you said, you have already weathered the storm of some behaviours that do, indeed, cause birds to be re-homed, and I give you full credit for that because there's nothing easy or predictable about it.

I also believe I know the sound you're referring to, because Dorian also does it when he's in a particularily obnoxious mood. Kind of like the squeak/squeal often heard in beginners clarinet classes? (My mom taught first year band every year for 15 years and somehow exited with her sanity) Does he ramp it up in volume and intensity when you don't attend to his majesty immediatly, 'cause Mr D. does, or at least he used to. I know you say you ignore the sound, but are you sure you do 100% of the time? I thought I was ignoring him, but I've been so well trained to respond to his contact calls that it wasn't until I became completely conscious of my own behaviour that I realized I WAS responding sometimes, even if it was only 1 out of 100 times. So he learned that all he had to do was get louder and more strident, and eventually I'd talk back to him. I had to clamp my lips together and make sure I never, never gave him the feedback he was looking for. (Sometimes I'd even have to say under my breath 'I'm not answering you, I am not answering that sound) and wait until he made a more tolerable sound choice, then respond loudly and enthusiastically to that sound. You know the drill. Just check yourself and see if you're not answering by reflex sometimes. Dorian might make that sound once in a while now, but usually only a couple of half-hearted attempts before he cycles through to a nicer one, like he's just checking to see if I've changed my behaviour.

Have you tried having music on? Don't know if Murphy is a music lover, but Dorian will always switch to his sweetest sounds for certain music (he loves James Taylor, but heavy metal riles him right up, and not in a good way). He might be a late bloomer with talking but don't give up. Continue to talk to him about what you're doing as you go about your day. Has the baby started words yet? I've forgotten how old she is. Teaching her words and colours etc... in front of Murphy might be a very valuble way to improve both of their communcation skills. Always keeping a birds' flock mentality in your mind can be a valuble tool when teaching and changing behaviour. We're still here cheering you on!!!

p.s. Msg to Mr. Murphy. Give dad a break, eh? He's really trying. <3

Edited by Acappella

Patience is what has kept me going all this time, he has been extremely tough to raise & Lot's of people would have given up by now & re-homed him, not me I see things through & of course I know he's not a toy. I think most people, would be lying if they didn't want good interactions with their grey I'm just being honest & saying it how it is.

It is certain your willingness to hang in there will be further tested. I love Issac more than almost anything in the world, and I wanted to smack his little butt last weekend because he was trying to take my ear off as a game. They are needy characters, and you will constantly find out that you have a little more than you bargained for. Especially when you must maintain a child-like bird with grace under pressure. They are so attractive because they are so cute and smart. I have even said to myself, "My goodness...all the work I do and the way I live since I have had this bird, and he doesn't do any cool tricks or talk yet....people must think I am an idiot. LOL" But it is so much more than that. I have a bird friend. And it occurs to you just what a huge responsibility that you are under now that you have started this. Just like having a child. Except you can't rehome a child. It does help to remember that what you have done is added a full blown family member to your life and all the responsibilities that entails....to a degree.

He wants to be with you very bad. I definitly know how that is. I have had to change my whole schedule when I want to work on my computer. Issac has to get it out of his system first..and then I can get him to perch on my shoulder and calmly preen there. Success...I can work a little bit.

I know it is very hard to focus on the rewards of having a Grey when it seems everything is going downhill. But they move on to other things that you will enjoy and things that will challenge you like no other.

They sure as hell are no dog. Ohhh no. LOL. Not even close.

I think you may have read my, "Close to murdering my bird" thread by now. It goes from furious to understanding again. A good read for prospective Grey owners.

In the end...he is gonna make you love him.

Edited by Elvenking

Thanks to you Stephen & Marguerite for the encouraging words & support, it means a lot to know that I can come on here when I'm having one of those bad days to vent or ask for help. I think my post was a bit of both, I pretty much know what I've got to do by now, like you say I know the drill. I've just been feeling a little lost & frustrated. I always feel better after I've been on here for a chat about any issues I may be facing. You can't really talk too or moan to anybody else as they just don't understand & it is more frustrating when their only bit of advise is "get rid of him then!". That's the last thing you want for your little grey friend, all you want is some help & support to get through the tough times. Everybody is different in that respect, some get through better than others, some have more patience or higher tolerance levels, that's what make us individuals just like our greys.

Mr Murphy, well he's knows that I love him & he is part of our family forever. He is growing up with my little daughter who is now 14 months old with him being 12 months, hopefully they will be friends when they are old enough to understand friendship a little better. I think what also keeps me going is I see light at the end of the tunnel, I know that we will work through these issues just like I worked through the screaming I had for 7 months & by the way that has now completely stopped. This issue I'm having now is nowhere near as bad as that but it is something I have struggled with since bringing him home. He just hates being in his cage period, I even bought him a new cage with more room inside & a play top but still he rarely plays on it. I think it's down to the freedom he feels while sat on his stand, that's why he is content there because he knows that if he wants he can fly somewhere else like my shoulder, the cage top or even inside to get some food which he does do. Then when I put him in the cage & close the door I have taken that freedom & choice away from him. Also he can't fly to me when he feels he needs me. Sometimes he is like that, one afternoon he will sit there content & other days he is constantly flying around chasing me.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head Marguerite with that sound that he makes & yes he does ramp it up in volume and intensity when you don't attend to his majesty immediately. For me I believe it's more the meaning behind the noise than the actual noise that bugs me. It's hard to understand what they are tyring to tell you but you get an idea of what it is & the noise give me the impression of a wanting/needy type of noise, almost like "dad let me out" over & over & over for hours. You can look at it as kinda nice that he wants me but some days that doesn't help if you Having a bad day. Also the fact that he only does it when I'm in the house indicates that he know full well I'm there & wants me & only me. I guess when I'm not in he knows this & doesn't bother, Kate tells me that when I walk through the door after being out he starts it immediately but previously he has just been whistling & chatting away with Kate while in his cage. It's all these different elements to the situation that gets me confused, to know if I'm doing the right thing or not. I worry that by ignoring him I'm going to give him feelings of abandonment & on the other hand I worry that if I respond I'm going to make him more needy & dependent on me & also reinforce the noise he is making.

For me helping Murphy grow up into a happy well adjusted parrot is paramount, I don't want to get it wrong & have a bird that is unhappy & plucking himself because Dad has gone out shopping for a couple of hours. Or a bird that is biting everybody but me because he can't handle other people being around him. The first 5 years of your baby greys life is the most important as that is when they become the parrot they are going to be for the rest of their life, get it wrong & it's not going to be nice for anyone including your bird. This is the reason you see so may re-homes & so many people telling you " you'll get rid of him after a few years" & I'm not talking about people on here just people you meet out & about who have seen it all before in the parrot world. I tend to talk the the hind legs of a Donkey to anyone that is interested in parrots, as you can probably tell. ;)

There have been a ton of great responses in this thread to possibly address the issue and pinpoint it.

Murphy sounds a lot like our grey Dayo. He does not like being in his cage and does not like being out of sight of the flock (Us). He will not volcalize human words when stressing over where I or Kim (his cuddle muffin) are in the house. He will make instinctive chirps and whistles which is contact calling. It is natural for them to produce and use these sounds when looking for the flock. They will never stop if he is shut in his cage. Our grey also paces and climbs all over his cage, rather than play with the many toys. He will eventually just settle down on his favorite roosting spot and just sit there. fluff up and either start nodding off or preen a little.

Every grey is unique and it sounds like Murphy does not like being caged, which Dayo does not either. The difference though, is Dayo wants to be where one of us are. Especially Kim. If she is home and Dayo is with me, he is constantly looking and contacting calling for her or trying to see or hear where she may be. I suspect since she is basically his chosen mate, it is only natural that they stick together like glue and do all things together. Their relation is a step above the flock relationship in that sense.

I will say, Dayo is always ignored when contact calling, never yelled at nor do we get exasperated with it, it is natural and those that have a bird like this, must just learn to accept that it is what they do as a flock creature.

I've just been feeling a little lost & frustrated. ...can't really talk too or moan to anybody else as they just don't understand & it is more frustrating when their only bit of advise is "get rid of him then!". That's the last thing you want for your little grey friend, all you want is some help & support to get through the tough times. Everybody is different in that respect, some get through better than others, some have more patience or higher tolerance levels, that's what make us individuals just like our greys.

Mr Murphy, well he's knows that I love him & he is part of our family forever.

Now that the steam has cleared, I just wanted to say it again. Murphy's been a handful to raise & I think you & Kate have done everything you could to be the best parronts possible. And I hope you know that I know for certain that you don't think he's a toy! It was only meant to be descriptive.

Everyone hits the wall at some point & you're certainly entitled. But, on the bright side, Murphy is super practice for raising the baby. After him, she may even seem easy. :)

So, if you need a fresh perspective, we'll all try to help. If you need to vent, go right ahead. Most of us feel your pain. If you want someone to tell you you've made a heck of an effort --INSERT APPLAUSE HERE--

And of course, there's always some applicable cliches to offer...

Someday, you'll look back on all this & laugh!

^ Yea at least a human baby grows up eventually. My daughter is 13 now and pretty self suffecient. When my Cosmo is 13.....he'll still be a baby with alot of needs.

All you can hope for is that over the years you and your grey develop better communication and understanding of eachother to make things easier. I can assure you there have been days that Cosmo has gotten on my last nerve. But I like to remind myself that those days are greatly offset by the days that he is extra cuddley, or says or does something funny to crack me up. In the end I think we all know that the pros far outweigh the cons, you just have to have the willpower and patience to get through those bad days. :)

Well Guys, thanks everyone for the help & support, I feel a lot better now about things now I have been able to vent & talk to people who understand. As you say Birdhouse, everyone hits the wall & I think I did. I forgot I was human for a time & guess the stresses of daily life were building up & there was Murphy "nag, nag, nag" not helping things.

I have to say though, raising Murphy has been a lot tougher than I anticipated & has made raising my baby Daughter Ella-Rose seem easy, roll on baby number 2.............lol

Well Guys, thanks everyone for the help & support, I feel a lot better now about things now I have been able to vent & talk to people who understand. As you say Birdhouse, everyone hits the wall & I think I did. I forgot I was human for a time & guess the stresses of daily life were building up & there was Murphy "nag, nag, nag" not helping things.

I have to say though, raising Murphy has been a lot tougher than I anticipated & has made raising my baby Daughter Ella-Rose seem easy, roll on baby number 2.............lol

It does help to come vent and see that there are so many similar stories. I think it is awesome that you give Murphy so much. Just allowing them to be flighted is such a major undertaking. I know that another day will come that I realize just how much. On the positive side, each time I am challenged by Issac, it gets a little bit easier. You find out the things that are going to set them off and you plan around them just a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update on Murphy. A few days after the last post here, Murphy seemed to have turnaround in his behaviour. No longer does he seem intent on getting out of the cage, he actually now plays with his toys & seems to enjoy destroying them at last while spending time in his cage. He has cut down on the repetitive noise & constant repetition of pacing back & forth & has now started to talk away while in his cage. He has always made small attempts at human speech but now he is really going for it, constantly practising our language with what sounds like full sentences. I still can't work out what he is saying to me but given time I'm sure we will be having full blown conversations. :D

What gets me is every time I put a post on here about Murphy & an issue I'm having with him, all of a sudden it goes away shorty after posting.

Now guys, what do you think it is, a super intelligent Murphy messing with my head for a laugh or just the sheer power of grey forums? :confused:

What gets me is every time I put a post on here about Murphy & an issue I'm having with him, all of a sudden it goes away shorty after posting.

Now guys, what do you think it is, a super intelligent Murphy messing with my head for a laugh or just the sheer power of grey forums? :confused:

Maybe it's both. You can vent & get support here whenever you finally get to the end of your tether. Then you go back to Patient Parront Mode.

"Too much of anything is just enough" for most fids of any breed. But then the party's over & it's time to move on.

Glad to see this post because I was wondering how it was going. Greyt to hear Murphy is moving along to new & exciting things. Think we'll see a Vocabulary Thread post from you pretty soon. Can't wait to see what his first words are! LOL