NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Found a grey, some questions

crazy99

Hey all

So I've been searching for a while now, and found someone looking to rehome Steve, a timneh

Steve is 5 yrs old, hand raised/fed by a woman who kept him for 4 years, sold to a man who bought him for his wife (didnt care well for bird), then bought in october by girl who is selling him now , she wants to "travel the world" and is looking for a forever home for the bird because she isnt home much due to work/travel. She claims he handled the rehome well, and is quiet and non destructive. "Doesnt really play with the toys I give him" is what she said. She also said she keeps him on a stand (not in the cage he came in, which is apparently gross), and in the picture she posted he has no toys around him. he has not been dna sexed, and is on a pellet diet. She said he talks when her back is turned, and will stop and start dancing when she turns around. he is currently with her sister, because she is out of town. She took him outside to a pumpkin patch with hundreds of people and he apparently handled it well. She said he likes to groom her eyelashes, and will let her pet him. I forgot to ask about him having medical issues, but she wont be back until this weekend, and I said i'd call her back on friday or saturday.

I was looking to buy a baby, but was open to rehomes, this seems perfect. Is there anything else I should ask about that I missed? Anything I need to check or make sure of? Im afraid of medical issues, can I ask for written permission to give him back if my vet finds any issues because this is a private seller?

Here are some pics:

3n53kb3pa5V25T45P3acq059256206cba1403.jpg

3n73ka3mf5Z55Q25R0acq089bec3d97c21ffd.jpg

Thanks Crazy for considering to rehome this grey, it seems he has been passed around a little and he needs a forever home. He also needs a cage and if the one he has, that is if it is coming with him, is too filthy to use then purchase a new one for he needs one to be in whenever you are not at home and at night, a cage is a bird's safety zone where they feel protected.

If you seriously intend to take this grey do take it to the vet for a complete checkup but in my opinion I would keep him even if he turns out to have a medical problem for he needs the stability of a forever home, right now he sees his next home as just another stop along the way, I hate to see a bird being passed around from one person to another and it makes it difficult for him to come to trust another person again.

He looks pretty good from the pictures you shared but do let us know what you do decide to do.

its a 4 hour drive, so I would have to get a carrier, drive up, and then decide. Also, she is asking $800 for it, which sounds acceptable, I'll probably try to talk her down a little though. I definitely want to spend a little time with the bird, and also take a look at where its been kept and to get an impression of his owner, although she seemed nice and genuinely upset at having to rehome him.

its a 4 hour drive, so I would have to get a carrier, drive up, and then decide. Also, she is asking $800 for it, which sounds acceptable, I'll probably try to talk her down a little though. I definitely want to spend a little time with the bird, and also take a look at where its been kept and to get an impression of his owner, although she seemed nice and genuinely upset at having to rehome him.

Where he has been kept will pale in comparison to where he will be. There have been some stories here on this forum from people who have rehomed greys and taken them out of horrible and in some cases physically abusive homes and the bird has responded with love with being taken in. The personality of the bird has more to do with it than where they are now. That's just my opinion. If you can meet him and get a sense of your connection, that will mean more than anything.

If I can add my two cents here... I understand what people are saying about "connecting" with the bird when you meet him, but if my husband and I had depended on "connecting" with any of our rehomes/rescues (parrots and otherwise) when we met them, we'd probably have one pet right now. I honestly don't think it's fair to demand that an animal "connect" with you when you meet it, they're in their territory--the good and bad of it--and who are we to come walking in and say, Make the stars explode for us and then we'll think you're a nice animal to take home? If you want a grey, and this bird needs a good forever home (sounds like he does), and it's not obviously something that you can't handle, and you can afford him... then what's the issue?

P.S.--And I just want to clarify, we love all of our babies--furry and feathered--quite dearly, and they all love us. I think what I mean to say is that if you're willing to grow with an animal, most times, unless they've been through some horrible trauma that you just have no ability or education to work with, they will grow with you in some capacity. Love encourages love. It might take a while, but those little 'forgotten' and unwanted guys and gals sometimes end up being the most affectionate, because they realize how much you care compared to what they came from.

Edited by MarcusCAG
An add-on

I think it's really terrific that you're considering adopting Steve vs getting a baby. He really needs to stop being passed around & find a real home.

I know ideally, you'd like to spend some time with him & on different days. But if the situation won't allow it, then okay. Rehoming isn't often about the "ideal", is it? Which is what makes it so special.

As reported, Steve seems like he has very good potential & doesn't sound like he has any major issues. You can't know until you get him home, but that's often the case, anyway.

You might do well to have a vet visit scheduled for the next day & see what you can negotiate about medical issues at the sale & in writing. Even still, you shouldn't probably plan on any further support from the current owner. Unless you can pay by check & cancel it faster than she can cash it. But that's getting into some legalities that you'd probably rather avoid.

Even though you may be going in a little blind, you're not unprepared. You've thought this thru & done your homework. You've got a whole forum full of support as well.

Now all that's left is to meet him. If the little voice in your heart says, "Walk away" then this just wasn't right & you spent the day on a road trip. If it says "He belongs with us" then swoop him up & prepare yourself for a lifetime with an amazing little bird.

When I bought my first CAG, a couple weeks ago, we were on Christmas vacation, 800 miles away from home. I had been touch with the previous owner and learned a lot about Rocky through text and pictures for a couple weeks before I met him. I tried not to get my hopes up, but it was very hard. I never actually got to meet him in his home. My husband had to pick him up (I was in a different part of the state visiting my own family) and my husband spent the first 3 days with Rocky before I even met him. He, at first, loved my husband and my husband would send me pictures and videos of Rocky loving him and kissing him. But, no joke, the day after I met Rocky, he COMPLETELY turned to me and totally ignored and actually snipped at my husband. Rocky has loved me the minute he met me. He occasionally lets my husband pet him and he will always give kisses, but he does not like to be picked up by my husband. I am bringing him to a vet in the next month but he seems healthy on the outside, except for feather plucking.

I just want to say that buying a bird you haven't spent time with CAN be done! Rocky never had the chance to "pick" me. Like everyone else says, even if he DOES have health problems and doesn't live in the cleanest enviornment, you will WANT to bring him out of that and give him a better home and a forever home! Thank you for considering this big step and let us know how it turns out! :)

I dont have a carrier, do you think he could make the trip in a cardboard box or rubbermaid bin with holes? or should I just go out and buy a carrier? Is there a specific one anyone would recommend? Also how much can I expect the first vet visit to be? thanks for all the quick replies!!

edit: I just called a local avian vet and they said it would be about 135 for a general health check, with stool sample and dna testing, they also said that they usually dont do any blood work unless they find some kind of anomaly, which sounds very reasonable, I was expecting way more.

Edited by crazy99

There are many different carriers for parrots with a price range to match. I would invest in a carrier if you are definitely getting a grey. You will need it anytime you want to take him to the vet or anywhere else. Some of the carriers are referred to as travel cages in case you want to do an internet search to get an idea of types and prices.

If you are going to be buying a bird, this one or another, it is a good idea to have a travel cage. I have a couple of these travel cages which I like for my grey and zon. That they are collapsible for easy storage to me is a plus. I also use it as a cage for when I visit my daughter and take my grey as it is roomy.

http://www.thecountryroost.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=28_29&osCsid=537173a78a722630c52341e776cd0a31

Hello! :-)

I am really happy you are considering to adopt such a pretty bird.

I didn't pick my CAG, nor did I care are we going to conect on first note.

If your, birdie to be, had been neglected it is normal for him to be reserved, even frightened but don't judge him too fast. Listen to your intuition. If you want a friend then it is a right thing to do. It shouldn't matter how he was handled before and how will he react when you see him for the first time. It is, IMO, something like adopting a child. Great responsibility, lot of (hard) work, lots of patience, maybe he will (even turn out to) be ill, but most of all, great love and joy. It is ok to be frigtened how it will turn out, but if your wish is to love and care about a bird there shouldn't be any reservations, expectations or solid boundaries on how he should behave firs time you see him. Even if he likes you for the first time, there is no guaranree. There could still rise some shock , mistrust in him (because of the past) and it could last for some time. Even long time, but it is you on whom everithyng dependes on from this point on. You must have courage, perseverence, gentle heart and love for both of you till he bloomes -and he will .

You need to buy a proper cage, introduce him with toys, learn him how to play with them (my Zak pyuked when he saw toys for the firs time; he was terrified of them. Now he loves them!), time to play with him, proper nutrition, have in mind someone thrustworthy to take care for him when you need to go away (without him), great forum like this one, and above all else, LOVE. They are great friends, great surprise and great challange. Have faith:-)

PS: if you were to adopt a child, you wouldn't consider taking him back. You need to be in this with all your heart, for the longrun, because greys are exactly like children:-) You'll get tenfold what you put in your relationship.

Good luck! :-)

Please, be sure to let us know what you decided:-)

Kura has one similar to Janet's. She's a good traveler & loves to see what's going on. I like that it knocks down when it's not in use.

I have a pet carrier like this for Phenix

http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/Petmate-Intermediate-Pet-Taxi-Fashion-Carrier/4333057/product.html

He's not a good traveler & is easily panicked. It's better for him to have someplace to hide & feel's more secure with a more solid enclosure.

Also, with him, it's better to have the side door type, rather than the hinged lid. He freaks out when he sees it closing overhead.

Edited by birdhouse

I got the larger one because I also use them for overnight staying and my birds can stretch out better. If I were to just use it for transport like going to the vet and transport here and there I think I would have preferred the smaller. But the larger fits great on my backseat.

Good luck! The first carrier I used was a small plastic dog kennel. Babalu would just pace around in there and it was hard to get him in it. So I bought a small wire dog kennel and attached perches and cups to it. He went into that one just fine and did not pace at all. But if I would have known about the wire carrier made for birds, I would have gotten that one instead, as it comes with a perch and bowls already.

If it were me, I'd get the smallest hard cat carrier I could find. They're pretty readily available. Better containment for transporting an injured bird, if necessary. Less room to move around. It would be cheaper & take up less space in the down time. You don't know how well Steve will travel or how much you'll want him to. You can always get him an upgrade later when you know more about what you may want from it. **

I line mine with paper towels & then put in a comfy perch cross. http://www.amazon.com/petsupplies-com-Comfy-Perch-Cross-Medium/dp/B0002ML6FY

It is rigid enough to shape to floor of the carrier, so Phenix isn't flat footed (he hates that). There's no need to try to fit it into the openings & nothing sharp to get jostled into.

Also, I've got a couple of cheap little cups to hang on the door for food & water. Kura's got a water bottle, but some birds (Phenix) wont' drink from them.

**EDIT: Craigslist usually has a bunch of them, hardly used & cheap.

Edited by birdhouse

If I can add my two cents here... I understand what people are saying about "connecting" with the bird when you meet him, but if my husband and I had depended on "connecting" with any of our rehomes/rescues (parrots and otherwise) when we met them, we'd probably have one pet right now. I honestly don't think it's fair to demand that an animal "connect" with you when you meet it, they're in their territory--the good and bad of it--and who are we to come walking in and say, Make the stars explode for us and then we'll think you're a nice animal to take home? If you want a grey, and this bird needs a good forever home (sounds like he does), and it's not obviously something that you can't handle, and you can afford him... then what's the issue?

P.S.--And I just want to clarify, we love all of our babies--furry and feathered--quite dearly, and they all love us. I think what I mean to say is that if you're willing to grow with an animal, most times, unless they've been through some horrible trauma that you just have no ability or education to work with, they will grow with you in some capacity. Love encourages love. It might take a while, but those little 'forgotten' and unwanted guys and gals sometimes end up being the most affectionate, because they realize how much you care compared to what they came from.

I totally agree. If he needs a home and you're willing to provide the care for a grey, take him. It's like children: you can't pick the kind of person they are but you be the best parent you can. In this case: parront. If I'd have waited for magic butterflies to come down from heaven every time I adopted a bird... well... yeah. Not happening.

To be fair, here, unconditional adoption isn't something that most people are cut out to do.

And it's a very, very good thing when people recognize it before they do more harm to the bird they would have set out to save.

Better to remember that before "encouraging" potential parronts to jump into a bad adoption for both the fid & the parront's sake. It's much better to encourage them to be realistic about their limitations & expectations.

I never met any of my 5 birds before adopting them. I knew they needed a "forever home" and I was willing to help them have that and love them for who they are. My cag I adopted 2 1/2 years ago came to me after having her 3rd home for only 5 weeks....:( I am her 4th home and last.

Theer is no question in my mind this bird needs you...:)

I agree with Birdhouse, some people are not cut out to unconditionaly adopt. It is of outmost importance to listen to your intuition and recognize it. It is a nobel thing to adopt but that shouldn't be the reason for it self. It would be a greater evil to rush into something like that and the concequence is a inocent bird out of another home. It could be devastating for the bird.