NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Correct room temperature?

luvgrey

Our African Grey is one year old and is in the living room in a large cage. My question to you experienced bird lovers is the correct room temperature. He seems to like it really warm, but this necessitates our electric heaters to run constantly. The room temperature is around 72-74o most of the day when he is actively climbing in and out of the cage, and I turn it up at night while he is sleeping to between 73-75o. We have been considering a heat panel (found online) or purchasing a oil filled little space heater to have near his cage. Do you have any suggestions for heating or recommend the proper temperature for him? Thank you so much for sharing your experiences on this forum.

The ideas you're having are backwards concerning the night time. You can cause your bird discomfort. First off the day temperature is alright but at that temperature, his skin needs to be checked periodically for dryness. A lower temperature is ideal but it's probably will cause your family to be a bit uncomfortable.

Concerning the night time, the temperature should be allowed to go down to 66 to 68. Putting a space heater or heat panel will keep the room too hot. Parrots thrive on lower temperatures at night. In the wild, they sleep at much lower temperatures than 66. Heat panels or space heaters will sometimes cause the bird to have breathing problems so forget about adding heat at night. Their nattural body heat fom feathers provides the right temperature.

We keep our house at about 66 in the winter and the birds don`t seam to mind and they seam to be more active when it`s cooler and they seam to take more bathes.

Corky our CAG loves cold water bath and will jump into her bird bath in her cage when there is an icecube in it

I am not the expert, but I can definatly say that the oil heater is not the best idea. Oil heaters put off fumes that can greatly affect your birds respatory health. BoBo enjoys temps in the low to mid 70's but at night in our home my heater is set for 68. We just make sure there is not draft, the window near his cage is covered with a blanket to keep the chill down and he does well. I am sure you will get more replies here soon, but In my opinion stay away from the oil burning heaters.

Thank you all for your great ideas and information. We were also thinking of getting the infrared heater like the one you have. We certainly did have the wrong idea about the temperature - we thought because he would puff up and sometimes seem to shiver that he was cold. I do spray him with water every day and he does not seem to be dry. We will try to lower the temperature. Actually we kept the heat about

71o the first winter we had him, so we will now try lowering it again. Thanks so much for your input.

Dave: This information is why I just love to read the posts on this forum. You are all experienced bird lovers and know the best way to accomplish having a happy and healthy bird. Thanks again to everyone that answered my question - I appreciate reading everything each of you have to say.