NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Hello everyone,

My name is Jessie, I have three wonderful Great Danes, a great cat, and two Belgian Draft horses...and soon we will be adding an African Gray to our mix of babies....

I am new to the parrot world, however I have always loved birds. We had two Cockatiels when i was younger and when i was very young i had a parakeet. Anyway, I am looking into getting an African Gray but we had gone to a local pet store that was supposed to be a great place to go for parrot stuff. Well that didn't work out so well for us lol We walked in and it didn't smell all that great and when i got to the "great Parrot section" well the cages were nasty and they had 3 parrots, one macaw which was cuter then anything, and two blue fronted amazons. My husband had asked the lady if they knew of any African Gray breeders cause I would like to get one from a breeder not a pet store and she went into this whole long thing about how i shouldn't get a gray and that the amazons are so much better and she almost forced the bird on me, then was like oh im not saying to get an amazon cause i have them here for sale but you would be better off with one. Anyway the lady really ticked me off about it and i had to vent sorry lol. But I do have questions i need answered about grays before getting one that's why i came here. I guess i will go through the forum and see where i need to post my questions.

Hi,

I am very new to this forum and African Greys - just got my first parrot (CAG) a month ago! I researched multiple breeders on the internet, looking closely at their websites and ratings and also visited several pet stores to ask questions. I ended up choosing a fantastic breeder in my area (about 100 miles from me) and am totally in love with my new bird. I could have found a bird closer to home as I am in Southern California but I think I chose the right breeder. You may have to travel a bit further but I'm sure you will find the right place!

(by the way - I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 5 horses, 3 mini horses, a bunch of rodents (which became mine when my teenagers lost interest), and now 2 white-winged parakeets and and CAG!)

Good Luck!

Hello Jessie and welcome to our family, I think you are going to love getting a grey to enrich your life.

Barbara provided one sourch where you can look for breeders and here is another avianbiotech.com you can look by state for breeders.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure, do ask questions and we will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

Sadly the pet store you visited is repeated widely all over the world, they are anxious to unload the birds they have on hand and don't take proper care of them, they are exposed to wide varieties of diseases being around birds who come from who knows where, I think you have chosen wisely to search for a breeder who specializes in greys for they usually are the ones who take the utmost care of their birds. Hope your search is very fruitful.

Welcome Jessie, it's GreYt having you here. :)

It sounds like you know what you want, have done the research and I am positive you will find the right breeder. Right now there are many Grey chicks hatching and you should be able to get one and hopefully visit as it goes from infancy to a weaned and fledged young grey ready to go home. It is a wonderful experience if you are able to visit as they grow. :)