NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird magazines

Buffy

I was reading through one of the threads a few weeks back, and saw someone mention 'Parrots' magazine. I ordered the magazine and just finished reading my first copy. This magazine is amazing! It's so very different than 'Bird Talk' and I loved every single article. I can't remember who mentioned the magazine, but thank you so much!!!!!!! So, this got me to wondering, are there any other great bird magazines out there that I have been missing out on? If you know of any, please give me a recommendation.

Good bird inc. and Parrots are excellent.

I used to recommend bird talk, but after a few articles that were way off base and full of bad advice, I stopped subscribing to it.

I guess no one of them is perfect but I find that interesting that you feel that way about Bird Talk, want to give us an example of one or two of them Dan?

Hi Judy, sure I can.

I will start with acknowledging that everyone has different opinions, so if I do, I do not mean to step on anyones toes. :)

#1 - Their promoting of wing clipping.

#2 - Articles on biting and basically blaming it on the owner, as if a parrot will not bite, they will.

#3 - Food recommendations - They always promote pellet diets as if they are the be all end all. They are not and most of us know that.

#4 - There views and recommendations on behavior modification.

In my view, many of the contributors to these articles are "writers", not really experienced and well qualified bird experts and the promote the continued myths that are all over the internet. I just got to where I would look at the great pictures in the centerfold, then toss them. So when my subscription came due about 6 months ago, I just didn't renew.

Sadly yes you are right as they do seem to promote wing clipping and I can see where you get your other points from too but otherwise I do enjoy the magazine especially the pictures and they list the bird club shows, fairs and conventions that I have been to or want to go to but no one magazine or source can get it all right.

Thanks Dan for taking the time to answer my question.

I continue to subscribe to Birdtalk, but my biggest issue with it is that it seems like very few articles with not much 'meat' to them and a whole lot of advertisements. I do like that they list the bird fairs. I LOVED Parrots magazine. The articles were amazing and in depth. I also loved how they tied bird ownership into environmental issues in a couple of the articles. It was right up my alley! I ordered Good Bird yesterday. Thanks everyone!

Oh and the other issue I have with Birdtalk is I have found them contradicting themselves several times. For instance, I started giving my birds toilet paper rolls because Birdtalk said they were good, cheap toys for parrots. About four months later they had an article about things that are toxic to birds and listed toilet paper rolls as being toxic due to the glue on them.