NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cleaning ????

Streetwise

As anyone got any tips for removing dry-ed bird Pooh of the wall and in the cage.

Looking after Lucy is a full time job she seems to fire her poop out of the cage. If its at night are when I'm not in it soon drys. Whats best for getting this off, Ive scraped it but it scratches the cage and the wall.

Any advice please

On the wall, don't scratch at it anymore. Get a bottle of Greased Lightning, spray it on the poop, let stand for 10min. Get a very wet paper towel and wipe off. The cleanser won't stain the walls.

As far as in the cage, the best 2 times to clean it off is when the bird firsts excretes poop. Can be wiped off quickly.

The other time to clean is when the poop in the cage is very hard. It can be pushed off and will crumble and fall off. Then take a solution of vinegar and water---equal parts and wipe off the crusted areas. Again, the solution may have to sink in before wiping off with a wet paper towel. The same vinegar and water solution should be used when the fecal matter has just come out of the bird.

Greased Lightning---is an all around household spray--and it doesn't stain the walls or whatever else you're cleaning. If it's not available, Windex has many similar products. They started making cleansers besides window cleaners. The only difference is that

Greased Lightning is very quick. You may have to leave the cleanser on the poop for a little while longer with other brands.Just check out the bottles of cleansers and many will also say that they're also disinfectants. Go to a supermarket because there's a huge variety.

I use Poop-off or Aviclean (kind of pricey). I also use Seventh Generation All Purpose Cleaner, the "free and clear" variety, without scent. Sometimes I use vinegar and water.

In any case, i haven't found anything that will always take it off with one swipe. I also let it soak a little while, then wipe. Sometimes I have to revisit a spot several times before it all comes off.

• 1 month later...

I use an ice scraper to get the big pieces off the grates in cage. Doesn't scratch powder coating either. I've been looking at steamers to do more deep cleaning w/o chemicals. Tried the Shark handheld and it worked pretty good, just took a long time. May purchase a better one like the Vapor Clean II or the Vapamore. Does anyone use anything like this? What kind works best?

I use Greased Lightning as my magical cleaner, love the stuff and buy it by the gallon. I also bought some of the "Poop-off" but the price of it made it so dear, I only used it on the carpet. Then, I discovered the same type of enzyme cleaner in the dog cleanup section and it was about five dollars for a quart size sprayer. I sprayed that on the walls where there was flung food and other unpleasantness and was really pleased at the nice smell and really fast result. For the stubborn stuff on the wall, I have used the "magic eraser". It looks like a little white sponge, I think it is marketed by "Mr. Clean" but have seen some other ones maybe by 3M. They are not abrasive, but work really well for a lot of other purposes too. It takes scuff marks off walls and floors, cleans all sorts of things that other products have failed.

I have a wallpaper behind Zaks cage that is waterproof. I don't know exactly how to call it. It is shiny and you just wipe out with a wet cloth or a paper towel what ever it is stuck on it. It matches nicely with the wall so everyone is happy ;-)