NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Grey...plucker...need to know where to start...

gotfaith1989

Hi. I just picked up my new fid today and he is a plucker around his neck and some on his chest. I have been trying to research what the best way to go about helping him all that I possibly can and so far I have learned these:

1) Red Palm Oil - 1/2 Teaspoon daily (Already bought)

2) Full Spectrum Lighting - (Going to buy the AvianSun setup)

3) Frequent Baths

4) Spray with Aloe Vera

5) Diet (He is on a combo of Fiesta seeds and Zupreem pellets)

6) Routine is important as he is a stress plucker - started when previous owners work schedule changed.

7) LOVE LOVE LOVE them for who they are...

Is there anything I am missing? Is there a sticky somewhere about this? I couldn't find one...

Edited by gotfaith1989

One important thing that you didn't list is taking your little one to the avian vet. I strongly suggest to feed pellets and no seeds (only as a treat) and from my experience when you shower you grey you can use a spray bottle with warm water and spray directly to plucked areas to the point they are saturated.

One important thing is missing which indirectly connects to the other things------

You've just gotten the bird and your bird doesn't know you, the home, the environment, daily habits of the fanily. All of these things will cause a bird to pluck especially if he does it now. Your bird needs plenty of time for all of these things to sink in. To you, he may look and act happy and he is probably happy but that doesn't take away the other very important things that have to happen. He may slow down with some of his constant plucking.

2) Full Spectrum Lighting - (Going to buy the AvianSun setup)---good idea

3) Frequent Baths----good idea but also know that a mister may be the only thing he'll accept.

4) Spray with Aloe Vera---good idea but aloe vera won't stop plucking. What it will do is make his skin less itchy (supple). He'll need some humidity.

The food you're using is fine. Start adding varieties of green veggies, the darker the better. Don't expect him to like them all. It's a time for experimention for him and you.

If he is actually a stress plucker, that will stop when he's very settled in. Getting settled in more than likely will take weeks.

5) Put in room where they can't see door? (This is impossible for me)---that's good that it's impossible for you because the bird does best in getting used to and seeing all that's going on when he's in the midst.

7) LOVE LOVE LOVE them for who they are...

No reply is needed here.

That's not true at all. Birds like to pluck when they're alone. Being in the mid'st of everything distracts a bird and also raises his curiousity about many things going on. Someday, a bird has to accept people moving around including doors. If the doors you're talking about are located in an area where the bird will be alone, then that area isn't any good. One of the worst things a person can do to a grey is keeping the bird away from what's going on. He's a part of the family and should be involved.

Good luck with your efforts, gotfaith!

I feel I should let you know something, an experience that may be met with skepticism on this listserve because the current wisdom is "pellets and no seeds." In short, our grey plucks extensively when she eats pellets, her digestive system can't handle them (confirmed by x-rays at our avian-only vet). She does much better on seeds plus veggies/fruits/nuts; this is, after all, what they evolved to eat. For her, plucking is a sign that she is in discomfort or even pain (she plucks where it hurts).

It sounds like you are quite sure this is behavioral, but don't rule anything out, and remember all our greys are different! Forgive me for poking my nose in, and congratulations on your new friend!

Interesting concept...I'm not sure when he was started on pellets or when exactly the plucking began. I just know the previous owner told me that the owner before her said her schedule for work changed and that is when the plucking began. But you never know. Do you think that I should just give seeds for awhile or would it be detrimental since she may have a hard time accepting pellets again if that was not the problem? I may use this as a last chance effort after I try everything else and see if changing homes, light, red palm oil and getting more attention will help first. Thank you though for your input though.

Well, I would recommend visiting a good vet who has lots of experience with birds - if you can find one! If your vet does not have so much experience with parrots, I am sure mine would be happy to talk to her/him on the phone. My vet did an xray, and the inflammation and problems with Ursula's GI tract were visible. But no big rush - sounds like things are changing a lot for Rocky right now. When we finally discovered Ursula's problem she was biting off about 30 feathers a day - continuous and heart-breaking. After the vet's diagnosis we took her off pellets immediately and it went down to a few feathers a day right away, and then eventually stopped.

A diet change might make things worse for Rocky, who knows. But just keep it in mind as a possibility!

Real sunlight at 15 minutes a day cured my grey of plucking. I don't think full spectrum lighting is nearly as effective because in the winter when it is too cold to go outside he starts to get neurotic again. Try it when you can. Taking my grey outside has been a complete panacea for him. I am so grateful that my vet pointed out the intense need these equatorial birds have for sunlight.

I have a plucker who started as a relief from stress as well (I believe). Now going on 14 months and his plucking is only obvious when I am away (he keeps it to a minimum fortunately). When I say I'm away - there are several times a year that I am away from home for about a week at a time. Needless to say - he always has the same sitter who comes over daily and even this is becoming less of a problem plucking time. I have his cage directly opposite the door to my office. He can see me coming in whenever I'm on my way there, he knows when I leave which direction I go, and he's familiar with all things outside that door as we take him throughout the house. I've never heard the door thing before, but I do know they love to be where ever you are! Good luck.

• 2 months later...
That's not true at all. Birds like to pluck when they're alone. Being in the mid'st of everything distracts a bird and also raises his curiousity about many things going on. Someday, a bird has to accept people moving around including doors. If the doors you're talking about are located in an area where the bird will be alone, then that area isn't any good. One of the worst things a person can do to a grey is keeping the bird away from what's going on. He's a part of the family and should be involved.

I guess I'm lucky that all Ruby does when he is alone is eat. I'm only seeing him pluck when he gets frustrated (when he can't get what he wants). Thankfully that is a dying habit now.

Edited by RedDragon1288