NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Texas Sized Greetings!

Hello,

I have been wanting to join the forum for some time now. My wife and I are big fans of African Greys and we belong to a flock with CAGs and Timnehs. They have enriched our lives and we want to do all we can to provide them the best quality of life possible. I have inserted a couple of links to introduce a couple of our feathered friends.

http://www.birdzhaven.com/blog/2010/10/let-me-introduce-romeo-our-african-grey-timneh/

http://www.birdzhaven.com/blog/2010/10/pluma-a-very-special-african-grey-congo/

I am looking forward to learning more about these amazing birds!

Thanks!! Loving Pluma is extremely easy!! Today she was reciting a list of new phrases, one of them was "come to papa!" Then she started laughing to herself! She's a gem! I wrote another story about another time she made me laugh...

http://www.birdzhaven.com/blog/2010/11/mocha-are-you-in-trouble/

Loved reading Pluma's story! Thank you for having love enough in your heart for her.

Welcome and thanks for the links. Pluma sounds like a sweetheart that found the home that is perfect for her. Do you by chance know how old she is?

There are many things you can try in regards feather mutilation. which I am certain you have started exploring. I am looking forward to hearing much more and seeing photos as well. :)

Thanks! We have had Pluma for 1 1/2 years and she was approximately 2 years old when she arrived so she is still very young.

Korina and I can see past Pluma's plumage to the core of the bird and we accept her the way she is but we know she would be happier if she could fly like your bird in the avatar picture. I joined the forum because I enjoy "talking birds" but I also would like to gain insights on how to improve Pluma's condition.

Pluma is overall a very happy bird, but she is also very sensitive and she can become wound up and start shredding her feathers spontaneously. Most days, Pluma gets to spend at least 10 hours per day outside of her cage. We also like to make sure that she spends some time outside on pleasant days to make sure that she gets natural sunlight. Thanks to the pleasant winter we are having this year, she was outside today for a couple of hours. Pluma's cage is stacked with toys so that she always has something to do when she is in her cage.

Pluma also has a varied diet that includes quality pellets, nuts, seeds, sprouts/fresh foods every day. We also add Avitech supplements and red palm oil to her food a couple of days per week.

This past summer, I thought we had won the battle and her plumage was coming in beautifully! I felt like we had gained every single feather through will power, but it was worth it. Unfortunately, about two months ago she started ripping at her feathers once again and as of today does not have a single red tail feather on her round little bottom.

My main worry is that she will hurt herself because she sometimes falls off her perch and isn't able to soften her landing due to lack of feathers.

I am open to any recommendations that any of the forum members may have to assist Pluma live her full life.

Welcome and thanks for the links. Pluma sounds like a sweetheart that found the home that is perfect for her. Do you by chance know how old she is?

There are many things you can try in regards feather mutilation. which I am certain you have started exploring. I am looking forward to hearing much more and seeing photos as well. :)

Edited by Birdzhaven
Missed a few words! Oops!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! It is really evident when you talk to "bird people." As a general rule they are equal opportunity animal lovers! The conversation will invariably include their other pets and concern for the well-being of animals of all kinds. It is hard not to live with parrots and not worry about how their counterparts are doing in the wild.

Welcome and I thoroughly enjoyed the blog. I especially like what you posted about cat people, dog people, and bird people! I agree completely.
Edited by Birdzhaven