NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG starting to get really aggressive after 5 years! Is this normal?

Saoirse3

We have had Mojo for 5 years, and although he has always preferred me, my wife has been able to feed him and give him treats. He has been out with her during the day and has been content to play with his toys, watch TV and socialize. However lately he has become aggressive towards her, like he was on some kind of a "seek and destroy" mission! The other day he acted like he wanted to step up - she was playing catch with him. Suddenly, he lunged and severely bit her on BOTH hands and kept on biting! She immediately dropped him and tried very hard not to overreact, but was bleeding profusely from two gaping holes in her hands! I immediately returned him to his cage with a stern "NO!" and left him alone.

Today he was sitting on the back of the couch and when my wife went past him he tried to bite again! We have tried to figure out all the reasons for this, such as any change we might have made, something that might be upsetting to him. But he has been in the same cage, same room with the same family (US) for two years. We are careful with his diet (he gets Roudybush pellets, fresh fruit, veggies, nuts and everything is organic). We have full-spectrum lights, air purifiers and humidifiers and since we live in Alaska, he seldom comes in contact with anyone but us. His recent health check was fine.

He just turned 5 years old and we were wondering if, perhaps, this was something that happened around this time. Could it be a hormonal or sexual "acting-out" behavior? We would NEVER give him up, but we sure would like to live a little happier - ALL of us, that is!

Thanks so much!

**Could it be a hormonal or sexual "acting-out" behavior? **

Yes, it possibly can be that but parrots do go through stages when they'll decide to be aggressive to some people in a house. Just the fact that you said that this behavior is only recent tells me that it's only temporary. This behavior happens with loads of greys. Many here will tell you that. It's best for her to not deal with him the way she's been doing throughout the years. It may be a time out that's needed. Foir all you know, in the near future, it might be you that the bird will be aggressive with for a while. Usually, a grey's attention to a person happens when the bird is not going through the same habits or routines for a while with that person. That'll include you. Let her give treats but not in a way that she can be bitten.