NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello new Grey family!

Hello everyone, my name is Carol and Bf is Brennen and our 1 year nine month old Congo Grey is Ruby. Ruby is a DNA sexed male and he is precious to me as a Ruby stone, so I gave him his name for that reason when I adopted him regardless of gender. I was hoping he was a female but it really didn't matter to me. I honestly have to admit that Ruby was an impulsive purchase but I don't regret him. He is a symbol of our life commitment and a replacement for a child. The story behind Ruby start with Brennen and I completing our one year requirement in the Conservation Corp and moving in with his father. Four days before we leave I told Brennen I wanted to buy a pet for me because I was for good done with living with my parents. We visit the local pet store in Fortuna (which was were we used to live) and we saw Ruby. I've never seen an African Grey before than but I knew about Alex the African Grey and told my bf about their intelligence. We talked to the sister of the store owner and the store owner/ breeder and I knew by all the question they asked me about my life style and future employment that they really love what they are doing. The owner didn't want to sale me Ruby at first because he was their last baby grey that her breeding pair were able to produce and rather that I took one of her amazons but they were still handing and we told her that we only had a few days before we moved. So she told me to take the week end to think about it and come Monday she felt I really was the perfect home. She told me when I purchased Ruby that if she had more grey he would of been cheap but he was the last and very special, so he was a little pricey but I did get what I paid for. Another reason why I adopted Ruby is because he bit me when I was trying to prevent him from biting one of the baby amazons that were fledgling and land on his cage. Boy he did not like that. I guess I was like "okay now your mine when he bit me".

We've had Ruby for a year and 3 months. He was six months when we got him in Sept 09 and he is my little baby and our Avain Vet and behaviorist love him. They tell me that he is the most behavior parrot they see. I must be doing something right. :P I like to think I am.

Hello Carol and welcome to our family, I think maybe it was meant for you two to be together and the bite sealed the deal, what do you think!

If you haven't already please do read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

We would love to see some pictures of Ruby if you have some you would share with us.