NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking For Good Vacuum Solution

Elvenking

Hello all. I was using my old vacuum cleaner today and was getting totally PO'd when it does what it always does, gets clogged up with broken bird toy parts and seeds and such. Then I have to jam something down the tubes to clear it out. Uhhhg.

So what I am looking for is recommendations for a best solution for both vacuuming up seeds and random bird fallout, and maybe a handy wet vac for carpet cleaning of sorts. The other day I saw a smaller wet vac carpet cleaner and i cannot locate it again. Anyway....let the suggestions fly.

Thanks.

684345466.jpg

Craftsman 6 gal. Wet/Dry Vac The Craftsman 6 gallon wet/dry vac is compact in size, ideal for household jobs. Its motor has the power to clean up kitchen spills, other household dirt, and your automobile.

No user ratings [rate this item]

+ Add to Shopping List | See More Like This

Kmart:$40 Sears:$40

Very powerful. Works like the big models

This type of vacuum can be purchased in loads of places. It really doesn't have to be that brand name but Sears sells good quality stuff.

Edited by Dave007

Wait until the poop is dry. Pick up the clump. Use some Resolve, spray a small amount on the spot. It will foam a little bit. Wait 10 minutes, take a paper towel and wipe it it away. Instant clean.

As far as the vacuum, I really forgot whether you're in the US or UK so that's why I told you that other brands are available and work just as well. If you're in the US, find Home Depot. Theirs costs about $30. Comes with accordian hose, 5 attachments, small holder to stand attachments in. Powerful?? Well, I don't know whether you're familar with a regular large wet/dry vac but if you are, I can tell you that the small versions are also extremely powerful. I have a large for the basement and a small for all over the place AND YES, it can also vacuum out water.

That shop vac sounds good for cleaning around the cage and smooth surfaces, I have a dyson canister vac (due to 3 flights of stairs). This is the first high dollar vacuum I ever bought and I am very happy with it. It did take some getting use to with pulling the canister around though. I did not think that shop vac's were good for using in large carpeted areas?? They sell Dyson at Sears, bed bath and beyond and I think Lowes or Home Depot.

I have the Resolve solution down. Works good...but sometimes the stains just spiral out of control and I want a way to just spray all the spots down and go over them with a wet vac of sorts. Like right now the area by my birds cage has some darker spots that I have no idea how they got there. What I want i suppose is a two pronged solution, something to vacuum the house with that is practical. Right now...my bag upright will suck up most of the stuff that hits the floor from the cage. It is just really weak in suction at times and the bag is a pain in the ass to manage so I might go for a bagless solution or a shop vac. For steam or wet cleaning...I am not so sure yet.

I have a DeLonghi steam cleaner. I'll try it on almost anything because it's turned out to be a great little cleaner.

The attachments weren't really meant for carpet, but thery'e still useful for light cleaning & fine for spot cleaning my Berber. It's really good for sanitizing the cages, too.

I also have the Bissell Little Green cleaner for stains, but used mostly for dog vomit and accidents. Very happy, best purchase this year. For my birdie's mess that ends up in corners and hard to reach places, I use a Shark handheld (purple one, forgot the model)- very satisified, had to return a Black and Decker and some other. This one is best yet (could be slightly better ie: longer hose/nose attachment). For regular vacuum (meaning whole roooms and large areas), I have a Hoover Progressive cannister which works great but is not bagless (Got it as a shower gift from my sister-in-law who in lucky enough to have a cleaning lady who told my s-i-l that it was the best vacuum she ever used).

I have a Samsung cyclone type vacuum cleaner, which has a bagless system. It is based on Dyson's, but much much cheaper. Because there is no bag, you don't lose suction. The one I have has a 7 filter HEPA system, which is brilliant for not blowing dust and dander out the other end, and the filters are washable, so it will always contain the nasties that can cause allergies. I have a German Shedder, a CAG and 2 lorikeets, so there is always an abundance of fur, feathers, food scraps and sawdust, and this little vac takes care of it all.

I have the Bissell little green machine and I love it. I have had a lot of shampoo machines over thirty years and this one has lasted the longest and I get the most use out of it. I haven't found the heated models any more effective. I just put in enough hot water and solution for each of the little jobs I do as needed. One of the best products I have used on the dark parrot droppings is the enzyme cleaners. My favorite is by Biokleen. It is non-toxic, smells nice and I spray the spot and in minutes it disappears and I just go over it with the machine. On the berber carpet when it needs a little scrubbing, I use an inexpensive denture brush which also works really well on the cage grates.

So I ended up ordering a Bissell Spot Bot (139.99 From Bissel) for the poop cleanings. I am still looking for a vacuum and am strongly considering the shop vac dave recopmmended for its cheapness and effectivity. The dysons for sure do this very well...but I am wondering how much more I want to spend on a vacuum right now after i bought the carpet spot cleaner. The real thing was getting these poop stains under control. I might just renew my bags for my current vac for the moment. I appreciated all the suggestions. Thank you all for leading me in the right direction. :)

Edited by Elvenking

I have this vac:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-Whisper-Cyclonic-Upright-Vacuum/10258692

...Which is now $40 less than I paid 4 months ago, great price! The suction clogged twice when it sucked up too many long pieces of wood from his toys and blocked the tube, but it was easy to get it out. It normally sucks up smaller wood parts, pellets, feathers, etc with no problems. :) Actually seeing all the dust and stuff that gets sucked up (vs. vacuums with bags) is really interesting, and a little scary, i have to say!

It is quieter than a lot of other vacs, which probably helps when using it around the cage. He doesn't freak out too much... :) The handle lifts out into a hose so its quick to suck up junk around/under the cage.

I have a question about Resolve, mentioned earlier. I was under the impression that a lot of people do not use chemical cleaners around the birds, resorting instead of things like vinegar, etc. What makes Resolve different? Is it just because such a small amount is used on poop spots?

I have this vac:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-Whisper-Cyclonic-Upright-Vacuum/10258692

...Which is now $40 less than I paid 4 months ago, great price! The suction clogged twice when it sucked up too many long pieces of wood from his toys and blocked the tube, but it was easy to get it out. It normally sucks up smaller wood parts, pellets, feathers, etc with no problems. :) Actually seeing all the dust and stuff that gets sucked up (vs. vacuums with bags) is really interesting, and a little scary, i have to say!

It is quieter than a lot of other vacs, which probably helps when using it around the cage. He doesn't freak out too much... :) The handle lifts out into a hose so its quick to suck up junk around/under the cage.

Well...for a new vacuum...I ended up biting the bullet and got a dyson DC-17. Yes...a bit on the expensive side but a vacuum I will have for at least ten years or so. After testing it out around the house...I love the thing. Sucks everything out of existence. I never thought I would acually get one of these things but I am glad I did. With this thing and the spot bot, I think my carpet woes are a thing of the past. Thanks for the help folks.

Guest Kali_the_Destroyer

I have a bagless cyclinder vacuum cleaner which is great, doesn't clog at all. For spot stains (poops) I use Marks & Spencer (UK) eco-friendly stain remover (but I think it's been discontinued now - certainly my local branch doesn't keep it)

I have newspapers spread under her perches, but she always manages to hit the carpet now & again