NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help! I might have to take my bird on a 5 day trip...

Vamppire

I just moved out of state a couple of months ago. I am retuning home Weds - Sun xmas week. I planned to have a pro pet sitter come by but suddenly they are booked. Trying to convince them to squeeze me in, but if they can't, I don't have anyone else that can check in on and feed Spencer. The other well-known sitter in town only does cats/dogs and I have lizards/bird LOL. I guess the alternative is to bring him with me?

I have a few questions.... first, how would Spencer react to being flown over and then being in a completely new environment for a few days? I knew leaving him completely alone for a few days was bad enough, but will the shock of a trip cause harm? He flew over when I bought him from the breeder and seemed ok...but still... or will he be OK because I am still there with him?

Second.... I will have to get some sort of travel cage he can stay in at the destination... it obviously can't be anywhere near as big as his home cage... What do you think of those foldable cages? They are about 18 x 19 x 20... ack that sounds so small...but will he be OK hanging out in there for a few days? If he won't freak out too bad, I can certainly take him out of the cage for a little bit, but seeing as how its not my house and holiday activities will be bustling about, he can't be out all day :(

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks ahead of time! :)

I don't know about the flight, you would have to make arrangements for him to travel in the cabin if possible as the cargo area would be too cold for him but he would be fine in a travel cage for a few days. I take my Josey with me when I go visit my son and his family but it is a 4 hour car trip and she does just fine, she sits and chatters and rings her bell on the trip and then I get her out some while I am there but not for long periods of time, for just a few days it is ok but for longer stays something bigger would be better. Your biggest problem is going to be getting him on the plane as some airlines don't allow pets in the cabin.

I haven't had to fly my own birds. I do know that you'll need an approved carrier, though.

Also, last month I was talking to some people at a canary show who came from all around the country & all drove. When I asked why they hadn't flown, they all said that since 9/11, the airlines had become difficult & unpredictable about flying with birds. Several said that they had gotten the green light as far as the gate & then not been allowed to board. One said they might not be able to get out with their bird for days.

Since they were all I guess you'd call them professionals, I thought I should pass that along. Good luck.

Thanks! Thats a little scary.. I'm still holding out that the pet sitter will squeeze me in. :( If Delta has warm cabins for checked baggage, that might be the safer bet it seems, as I would think they'd be less fussy with that than what I'm bringing in the cabin. I hate handing him over to Delta employees (my bf works for Delta...Oh, the stories he has...) but choices are limited....

Oooh! I think I found another sitter that is available. Not as obviously reputable as the first place, hopefully I wont come home to an empty apartment lol, but I think it will be OK. Thanks everyone for the help and advice, something tells me I will need it in the future anyway! :)

Good luck with the arrangements - if your sitter can spend a little time with both you and your bird before you leave, that would help a bundle. As for travelling with you, like Judy, I take Alfie with us on short trips, camping etc, and she is happy so long as she is with us. She has a small travel cage around the size you mentioned and gets out on her harness too. No worries! Good luck and let us know how it goes. x

Thanks everyone for the help! :) Hopefully this will work out ok!

Lambert - Spencer arrived via cargo... I believe that is how all breeders need to ship birds. Airlines have temperature controlled cargo and baggage, but the problem in the winter is that those areas are exposed to outside temps when loading and unloading, so there are cutoff temperatures and you aren't allowed to ship animals if it is below that temperature. It is higher for birds than dogs/cats. If I didn't find a sitter, I think it would be impossible to travel on a plane w/Spencer right now even if I wanted to. :eek:

Edited by Vamppire

Don't check your bird! I work for the airlines and mistakes are made. You take a chance of something happening to your bird. It is winter and if temperature control does not work right, or they load bags in freezing temperatures you grey will suffer.

My grey did just fine in an under the seat carrier. He basically slept since it was dark. He seemed reassured by me being there.

You do have to make prior arrangements with the airlines, because they only allow one pet per cabin. It also costs extra.

I've also been advised by airline workers against putting a bird under the seat due to the cold air flowing down there, and it is true, there have been times both me and my bf had to wrap our feet in blankets, or i've taken my shoes off and lifted my feet up because my feet were FROZEN. This happens in the summer with the AC on.

It's also harder for me because the planes flying to and from here are small... which = less space under the seat. :(

I believe I read that delta does not take live birds checked if the temperature outside is under 50 degrees.

Can't really win no matter what you do, it seems!

Looks like pet sitting will be the way to go unless we happen to drive to our destination next time.

Thanks everyone!