NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wallace update (longish thread)

Wallace

Hi

I got Wallace over a week ago from somebody who never had time for him any more, he is a 3yr old african grey male who at the time (as told by the lady i got him from) had a bit of a chest infection causing him to wheeze and a bit of a sore eye due to the stress of the vets when she took him ..

Well !!

We took Wallace home and i booked an appointment with my local Avian vets for the next day to see if this "chest infection" was on its way out as she had givin him antibiotics for it

my vet told me he did not have a chest infection but very blocked sinuses causing him to wheeze badly

he cleared out from his nasal cavity loads of dryed mucus and gave me some antibiotics to help with his sinusitis (chest infection ??)

any how.. i gave him his antibiotics daily for 8 days and took him back to vets for another check up

and his brething has improved a LOT

no more wheezing but still slightly pink around his eyes

he examined the sore eye (nothing to do with stress i might add :mad:) and told me it was due to Wallace rubbing his head with his claws because of the iritation from the blockage

he gave me some more antibiotics and something for his eye

since bringing Wallace home from where he was obviosly not being kept right (living on a diet of monkey nuts and sun flower seeds) he is now starting to accept more veg(sweet potato , brocolli and carrot) and fruit (apple and mango) nuts are now a treat for him (brazil and walnut) and he also has a premium parrot mix also in his diet

new words are coming from "good boy , come on, hello wallace and whatttt !!! and new whistles and noises (kisses and rasberrys)

he is out of his cage from 10am till 10pm and i have a Avian light for him also :cool:

he is now learning the step up command and is not fearfull as much of myself and my other half (still a bit snappy now and then but so am i lol)

so lets raise our glasses to a new life for Wallace

and people who buy Parrots should defo do home work before hand instead of impulse buying these fantastic creatures

IMG00028-20101202-1141.jpg

Congrats are in order especially concering the acceptance of that well rounded diet. Much more healthy. Add some almonds to that nut diet and give frequently. Lots of vitamins in them and a good way to start the bird off on chewing the right thing--with almonds, try unshelled first and if he won't crack them then use shelled. With unshelled, you can crack it open a bit so he can get to the interior. The picture looks great and the eye looks very good.

Bless you for your dedication to bring Wallace into your life and to do whatever it takes to make him healthy and a big part of your life. He is just gorgeous. I think about him clawing at his face in frustration and it makes me feel so choked up. I am happy that you are bringing him relief and I know he will be a wonderful addition to your family. Congratulations on finding a companion who will enchant and delight you even though it is a lot of work to keep him entertained and looked after. Many happy years are my wish for you and Wallace.