NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

European Deep Freeze

Birdnut

Might as well have a little fun making snowmen. Sort of a "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" thing, I guess.

It hardly ever snows here in central Texas, so when it does, it's a big thrill. But this weather you guys are having doesn't look like much fun.

It's no fun at all, Everything is so much harder to do in a foot of snow - then comes the thaw and you have a foot and a half of MUD!

Right, there's the moan out of the way, it is terribly pretty though - and fun for the first couple of minutes when you can't resist lobbing a snowball at someone!! I get tired of it really quickly though - lol - I think that shows my age a little!

Thank you for asking !

Honestly, this country makes me sick! How come we get a couple of feet of snow and the whole of the UK shuts down! We don't have enough salt for the roads, they can't clear the train tracks the list goes on!!! My car had been stuck at my parent's house for a week (rear wheel drive, no good on snow!!) and I had to get a bus for a week to work! It nearly killed me!!! I live not to far from Lyn - and our area has been hit the worst - although you didn't hear about it until the soft Southerner's got it (yes, that's you - anybody south of Yorkshire!!!). We've had it for two weeks now - it's just completely frozen now! I hate it!! You wouldn't think that Scandanavia was our neighbour - oh how they cope with the wintry conditions!! Anyway, enough of my moaning.......!!!

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me Jill, we across the pond have been hit with very cold temperatures and a little snow here but lots more elsewhere but you might as well accept it as you can do anything about Mother Nature, she is what she is so quit yer bellyaching!!

Wow, Jill. You have really been through it with the snow and harsh weather!

I guess I would have also expected that northern England would be better prepared. Is it unusual for it to snow there?

Here in central Texas, it snows so seldom that two flakes of snow hitting a car window shuts down everything. Well, it's not quite that bad, lol, but almost. Our worst winter hazard is ice: makes roads treacherous, brings down tree limbs on power lines, etc.

Good time to have a steady supply of hot chocolate

... with real milk & real cocoa

...with or without whipped cream or marshmellows or cinnamon

... WITH Vandermint or Frangelico and/or Irish Cream.

Pretty much guaranteed to take the chill off & make things seem a whole lot better. :cool:

Guest Kali_the_Destroyer

We aren't used to much snow over here in the UK, esp. down south :) That's why everything grinds to a halt, we just aren't used to it. Rain, yes! But this is the 2nd winter running that we've had to cope with more than a day or two of snow. Our transport system isn't designed for snow, our vehicles aren't ... we get some grit/salt thrown down now and again to get the cars moving. My biggest gripe is that the pavements & cycle lanes aren't gritted, so if you don't have a car, tough

Still, we're getting around. My journey to work is a 3 mile walk (only takes 15 mins by bike)

Our homes aren't insulated properly, and heating fuel is expensive, so many people are suffering. I'm lucky, we have central heating now but we still don't waste gas; we put on a scarf, hat or a blanket rather than burn some more money

There are way worse places to live than here. But, my way of coping with winter in the semi-frozen northeast is lots of hot chocolate, seed catalogs & comfort food. Things that take a long time to cook so the house smells good (& feels a little warmer) for hours.

Heard you might be in for some more fun weather this week.

The snows of life can be used when a person is inside their castle and can meditate about the spirituality of man. Universal atoms of the soul can be reignited in transdential glows of the lifting clouds. Deep thoughts and connections to the everyday meanings of the outer workings of loving whiteness will make the mind comminicate with the planets of the outer galaxies that surround our magestic planet that is part of spacial bursts of light and reality that connect with the currents of outer thoughts being a part of the floating atmospheres of our permanency in our minds. Mankind will make the connection and we'll realize that we're not alone in our endless journey to the inner infinity of life.