NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking Bad

Boomers Mom

First let me say, I am a newbie at this bird parenting. Actually my African Grey was rescued from an ill friend. Boomer is about 3 years old. I have had him about 2 years. He was doing just great until about a month ago. His feathers started looking "ruffled". I thought he was molting! Yesterday I gave into my instincts and I headed for the local bird store. I didn't know what was wrong, but something is wrong. She sold me some spray in case it was mites. I took his cage apart today, sprayed it and sprayed Boomer. He has slept the rest of the day. The only thing I saw different during this time was his appetite increased, his feathers looked horrible, and the strangest thing - he was rubbing his beak a lot as if it itched. Not his head, it is his beak. Today I took a couple of pictures of him and headed to another town to talk to someone that shows birds. No molting - feather picking. Fortunately I took my bottle of spray I had purchased with me. He smiled then told me to mix 2 Tablespoons of the blue Listerine in a qt of water and spray him a couple times of day. Also told me about the Aloe jell mixture. I was gone about 2 hours. I think Boomer slept the entire time I was gone because he was still relaxed and asleep when I got back. I think he was exhausted from the itching. There was still food left in his food bowl. He is awake now and eating. Didn't want to come out of the cage - probably still ticked at me for the spraying this morning. I have noticed he is still rubbing his beak. Anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? Or any suggestions of anything else I might try. Oh, I also got my humidifier out and running. I had forgotten about that now that the heat is back on. Any ideas or help would be welcome. The closest Avian vet is over 2 hours away. I'd like to prevent a trip to the vet if possible.

I wouldn't advise going with the Listerine. It's mostly alcohol. That's not going to help anything & could actually make bad matters worse. If Jay were here, he'd have a great deal to say... none of it good! I'd also be leery about over the counter mite spray & treating a bird for something it might have. You might try posting the pics you took to see if someone recognizes any symptoms.

As was suggested by Birdhouse do not spray with Listerine or any alcohol-containing product unless advised by an avian vet! Note, it is quite rare for greys to have a mite issue, so there is no need spraying your bird directly. By all means, clean the cage and rinse....but not the bird.

Beak scratching is a very normal activity for greys and is rarely a sign of illness or distress.

That said, with the onset of winter our birds do tend to get irritated skin and overly dry skin. The lower humidity and household heat are typical culprits. Do a search on the site for Aloe juice (not gel, repeat, not gel) and for colloidal oatmeal. Routine sprays of those two alleviate most skin issues. Applying humidity like you are helps.

Can you post a few pictures so we can see what you're talking about. What other changes have you noted? Food doesn't sound to be an issue. What about dropping color? What is hitting your instincts that something is wrong?

Ok, so no listrine on the bird. Thanks for the info. I had already purchased the Aloe juice, so looks like I did the right thing there. There have been no other changes in him throughout all of this. Eyes clear and round, nostriles great, talks talks talks. Sometimes so loudly we have to close the doors to the sun room because we can't hear T.V. Now my next venture is to see if I can actually get him to let me bathe him. He hates the sprayer. Looks like the bath willl be an exercise for tomorrow. I have read the posting regarding ways to get them to accept a bathing. Hope I can be successful with that little endevor. Wish me luck. That will probably be an exercise for tomorrow. I have some errands for today which include purchasing some new toys. Thanks so much for the help. I'll post pictures this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Red meat! There are 2 types of iron, haem and non-haem. Haem iron comes from meat products, whereas non-haem from plants. Haem is quicker and easier to absorb into the body. A little vitamin C in the diet will further improve iron absorption.

You mentioned one of your errands is that you need to buy toys. Is it possible Boomer is just bored? They have so much intelligence and energy, and if they have no outlet, then guess what? Many will pluck themselves and rub their beaks just to have something to do.

Perhaps Boomer just needs a bit more to do. There is a website that gives loads and loads of ideas - parrotenrichment.com and then scroll down and click on the free downloads.

Also, have there been any major changees (or even minor ones!) in your household lately? I once knew of a lady who simply hung a picture on the wall near her bird's cage and the bird started plucking. Also, another friend had a kid leave for college and the bird went a bit wonky and plucked for a while (and the bird and kid were not praticularly close - but the bird obviously noticed one of its flock members had left!)

Hoping it works out - and please do keep us posted as to what is going on with Boomer.

Just read from an avian vet that sunlight, or as a distant second, full-spectrum light from a indoor lamp, are needed for behavioral issues like feather picking. I realize you are in Illinois, so maybe try a full spectrum light. Although, it is difficult to get the right distance and amount of time necessary for ideal health, it wouldn't hurt. When the weather gets warm just sit with your bird in a cage outside for 15 minutes a day. You will be amazed at the difference it makes!