NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

need help with playstand

cass

Hi All

so i got an idea from the ebay listing below of a hanging playstand...i want to make a variation that comes right to the floor(as my grey doesnt like wobbling all about the place!) and as i already have a ceiling hook(a monster of one!) it would be hopefully the perfect stand as it will fall down flat for storage if needed....

my question is, is the sisal rope likely to be chewed through by my grey and make thisunsafe?what width do i need? i have looked at plaiting 6mm sisal to make 18mm width....is this strong and wide enough for him? i am worried if i get a thicker one knots etc will be difficult to do and making a jungle type net on one side will be harder and too bulky....what do you think?

if sisal isnt the way to go i've looked at the acrylic/nylon chains as an alternative.....

all going well it should cost less than 100euro and be easily breakupable(if using chains) to add and remove toys.....

lastly anyone any idea how i might fit a feeding dish on there?

thanks in advance for any help heres the ebay pic

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-MEDIUM-ROPE-HANGING-PARROT-STAND-ACTIVITY-CENTRE-/120651713756?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Birds&hash=item1c17670cdc

Feeding dish should be easy a bolt on stainless steel one like this http://www.windycityparrot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=30401261004&Category_Code=accdishes&Product_Count=2 could be fasterned to one of the perches. I would guess that the 18mm sisal would be strong enough for him but I think he will still chew through it. I really like the design of that but I would probably use chain to hang it and then rope for the nets and play areas etc. I would make the rope parts in sections so that they would be easily replaceable. I would maybe slide bamboo on some of the rope parts especially the upright ropes. My guys take longer to chew through bamboo.

It looks a fun project post pics when its finished!

thanks for the great advice....i think you're right i will get the chains and only use rope for net and bits and bobs....thanks for the dish advice will look into that! i am kind of hoping to make it as unwobbly as i can so may get bamboo anyway to cover the chains in parts for him to chew....i live in ireland...whereabouts would i source bamboo from thick enough to go over chains? if anyone knows of anywhere to get cheap chains/lengths of chain( i need 720cm) from do let me know...cheapest i have come across are lengths meant as perch type chains 77cm long for 5gbp each(will need at leat 6-9)...if i get chains it will be a very easy thing to do.....no nuts or bolts no drilling just attaching bits together so will post up pics for all as its being done and when it's finished....am considering using brick in the base of some kind of a readymade(but hopefully aesthetically pleasing!) base so he can file his nails! a basin might even be a good idea(a little drilling but nothing major) so i can put water in it too for a bath!

I live in the USA now, but i would guess that most of the big DIY stores would have the plastic chain. I get Bamboo cane from garden centers, you might have to poke or drill through the bits in the middle where its not hollow.

Hi all,

So the stuff came and here is Louis Homemade plastand....none of it has been drilled/screwed/any kind of work it all just clips together and is made from perches and toys(all parrot safe) that folds relatively flat and can be taken down in a sec and parts easily changed or added to...

the pics below are the basic structure as we still need to get sisal to make a jungle net for one side for louis to climb on....thought as he's wary of new things he might not like this but he hopped on after 2 mins and sat for a good hour or so...mind he didnt explore yet he just played with the toys at the bottom....he was wary at first but by bedtime he was tucked up on this ready to go asleep....his cage is kitted out with new perches and goodies too....

decided not to go right to the floor in the end as the 90cm perches are quite heavy and the whole structure is leaning on the wall and doesnt wobble at all...just have tissues and wipes for cleanups easier than a base for now....

lastly will be watching him closely in case there are any possible parts he could hurt/snag himself on but chose things carefully to avoid such....

039.jpg

038-1.jpg

001-2.jpg