NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is this space heater safe to use around birds?

Hi, everyone,

As some of you know, I had a bird die when I used a non-stick mat that you place in the bottom of your oven so that the oven stays clean if food spills over while cooking. In spite of trying to determine what that mat was made of, I incorrectly came to the conclusion that because the packaging didn't SAY Teflon, that therefore it must not BE Teflon. (It looked and felt more like stiff paper than the smooth shiny stuff that is on pans, by the way.) And so now I'm ultra-careful about anything that might be unsafe.

Have any of you used this item? It is a space heater from Big Lots. The brand is "Climate Keeper."

http://www.biglots.com/Home/item.aspx?cid=55&scid=244&iid=9214

Is it safe to use around birds? I have looked at it but cannot determine what it is made of, other than the outside casing seems to be made of plastic. It does not SEEM to have Teflon or Teflon-type coatings, and I can't imagine why it WOULD, but .. Before I use it I just want to make sure. (I did try to find an 800 # on the packaging and I did try to find a website but to no avail.)

Thanks in advance.

>^..^<

Edited by >^..^<
To make the post more clear.

I don't have any experience with the heater you're looking at. I use a sealed oil radiant heater similar to this one. I got mine at Home Depot.

http://www.compactappliance.com/MG7307CM-DeLonghi-Portable-Oil-Filled-7-Advanced-Fin-Radiator/MG7307CM,default,pd.html?mtcpromotion=GoogleBase%3EAir_Quality%3EHeaters%3EIndoor_Space_Heaters%3EMG7307CM&src=FROOGLE

It does a really good job of keeping the bird room warm in the winter. It doesn't get really hot. I can put my hand on it for several seconds except when it's at the highest setting. I set a wire cage stand over it. That way the birds cannot light directly on the heater. There is no exposed heat element to catch a feather that might burn and no fan. It is very safe.

I was thinking about this to lately... I have the heat dish from Costco, but I have been wondering if it was safe. I got it a couple years ago before Babalu, and I used it last year with Babalu in the room so I guess it is??

Ray P, I wondered what that was in your avatar:)