NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

fruit pot!

Guest briansmum

Saguaro buds begin to appear in mid-April around the top of the main trunk and arms.The buds open into large white flowers from late April through early June.After a saguaro flower has been pollinated, it begins its transformation into a fruit. Complete ripening takes approximately 30 to 40 days.

Near the end of the ripening period, the bright red fruits begin to split open. Inside are approximately 2000 tiny black seeds. Both the flesh and seeds are consumed by a variety of desert animals.

And i found a recipe :P

Saguaro Cactus Fruit Jam

6 cups saguaro cactus pulp

water

How to turn it into Jam Gather saguaro cactus fruit pulp. Put 6 cups of the pulp in a pot and add water until half of the pulp is covered. Soak the pulp for an hour and a half. Stir every now and then. Put the pot over a low flame and cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Separate the pulp from the liquid, saving the pulp. Boil the liquid very slowly (stirring all the time) until it turns into a syrup. Then mash the pulp and put through a strainer to remove the seeds. Combine the remaining pulp with the syrup until the mixture has the consistency of jam. When it looks like jam, it is jam.

Serve over warm fry bread.

p.s. do not add sugar

Well why don't you send me some Dan, I would love to know how cactus fruit jam tastes. We don't have any of those kind of cactus plants here in VA, guess it is too cold a winter here for them.

Thanks for the recipe, Tracy, even though I cannot make it for I do not have any of those plants.

Well thats awfully nice of you, Dan, and I think I will do just that. So there I cut you some slack, I can be nice when I want to, but it helps to have someone be nice to me first. Here's hoping you find that jam because I am gonna be disappointed if you don't, but don't worry you won't lose any friendship over it if you don't find it.

You are a kind and generous man and I appreciate that. Kim is a lucky woman and you tell her I said that will ya.