NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about feeding

Wallace

i have recently taken on a 3yr old african grey who to my knowlage has been fed primarily on sunflower seeds and monkey nuts (i know bad) ,he also had a cold/blocked nose & i have taken him to a avian vet who has given me antibiotics for his water and vitamins to suppliment his food

can you give me any advice on weening him onto fresh fruit and veg (he will take walnuts and brazils)

thanks in advance

I am surprised the vet wants you to put the antibiotics in the water, I am not a vet but it would seem to me dosing the baby with a syringe would be much better (sorry none of my business) As far as getting your Grey to eat fresh fruit and veg. it will take time and then some more time , you will have to just keep offering it every day, there is birdie bread you could make and hide the veggies in that. Also pellets should be added to his/her diet as well I use Harrison's but there are other types that are good too. Best of luck!!

If you intend to follow the vet's method, then you'll need to remember to change the water every day. If your bird is the messy type that drops things in the water, it'll need to be changed more frequently. More than likely, some of the antibiotic won't be taken in by the bird because they don't drink much water but follow the vet's instructions.

As far as the weaning to fruits and veggies---Fruits aren't important. They don't supply much. Most fruits are acidic so you should concentrate on the veggies.

You'll need to buy a variety of green veggies, firm if possible, and feed them raw. If that doesn't work try steaming them. Most of the time, not all the different types of vegetables will be accepted by the bird which isn't unusual.

Put them in a separate bowl and just put the bowl in without other food. Leave them there for 2 to 3 hrs. And then remove because veggies can get soggy. Replace with a good parrot mix that has all types of seeds in them. Also add a very small amount of pellets. That'll provide variety. If any peanuts are in the bag, remove. All parrot mix has sunflower seed and it doesn't hurt them. Your bird needs to have food around all day because they eat differently than people.

Add almonds and hazel nuts to the others he likes.

As far as buying veggies, get a good variety. Many companies put out bags of mixed frozen veggies that you can try.

Edited by Dave007

thanks for the advice..

i change his water everyday and his water dish is well away from the bombs he drops lol

i have to put 1ml of the antibiotic to 250ml of fresh water daily

i have noticed him drinking plenty so fingers crossed

with regards to the fruit/veg comments you made thanks and ill take that advice on board

thanks for the advice..

i change his water everyday and his water dish is well away from the bombs he drops lol

***If your bird is the messy type that drops things in the water, it'll need to be changed more frequently.***

I was referring to your bird dropping or soaking his food in the water.