NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting my new African Grey to the vets

Wallace

anybody

should i use the towel trick ?

It's not the best thing to do but if you can't get him in any other way, it would be necessary. It sounds like it is very important that he be seen by a vet. If you had the time, you could entice him in there by putting in a favorite toy, treats and hope that he would go in on his own. That would be the ideal but obviously not a workable plan if he doesn't cooperate.

I had this dilemma when I first got my rehomed grey. You can try leaving the travel cage where he can see it for a bit, and leave treats into it. If he won't go into the cage on his own, perhaps you can use a perch, this is what I did. Try to find a perch that he will step up onto. I have a firm cotton perch that I bend in half and I use it to step Tui up if I think he may bite. If you can get your grey onto a hand held perch that is small enough, you can quickly place him into the cage and just set the perch down on the cage floor and quickly close the door. It's a last resort but it would be less stressful than toweling him. Don't forget to bring the perch with you so you can get him back into the cage after the appointment. ;)