NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello - I need some advice on getting a Grey

nikhilesh

Hello All,

My name is Nikhil and i'm a photographer by passion; and one of my most loved selection is birds. I just adore how they are and their behavior out free.

My passion for birds have been for a long time and i always wanted a bird to keep with me. But i never liked the concept of keeping them caged and clipping their wings. I like them free and hence never moved forward to get one. But as i have learned about Greys over the day, i like the way they enjoy being around humans as well as reside in a cage as well out of sheer choice. So i was looking forward to get myself one.

Just to be honest to myself and everyone here so i can get a fair opinion, i had gotten myself 2 tortoises years back and they stay now with my parents as i have moved out. I thought, as i was quite young then, that i would always take care and love them. But slowly i seem to have lost a sense of touch towards them. I truly felt in time, as i grew, that its because they are reptilians and are cold blooded in nature and do not gel with humans (ofcourse).

Now this guilt of disconnection stays with me and sometime i feel i may not be a good pet owner towards a Grey. I love animals extensively but do not want to neglect them nor be a bad pet owner. If they get a better place than my own i would not want to spoil their coming years. But at the same time i do know that i will love a pet that ill have, as i always seem to gel well with other people's pets (cats, dogs etc) and even stray ones outside.

So its a sort of a fight internally regarding how i feel and would want to be a honest and loving pet owner. Greys excite me and birds hold a different place in my perspective of fauna.

Could you guys please advice? Would appreciate any kind and honest words. Thanks!

PS: there is a person selling a Grey for AED 1800 (approx USD 450) for a 2 year old one. I can't seem to find one to adopt even though i would love to.

Edited by nikhilesh

First you should read this

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189315-Ten-Reasons-Not-to-Buy-a-Bird

Because you're very new at owning parrots, you should realize that african greys are one of the more difficult parrots to deal with. It's even more difficult when a person who hasn't dealt with large parrots decides to take in a pre owned parrot who is usually an adolescent or adult bird. That type of bird already has a partially developed personality that won't change and the person taking in a pre owned parrot has gotta be ready for those ups and downs. An experienced person who deals with parrots usually understands the pitfall and good point of having a pre owned parrot. Greys are very intelligent as far as personality goes, that'll constantly change as the bird gets older. They're a very independent type of bird and they're not cuddly when they're older. You're right about clipping. There's a very large section here about that subject which explains clipping in detail.

Besides owning one, there's vet bills. They can only be taken care of by Vets who only deal with birds. Then the cage---it needs to be large enough for a medium to large sized parrot. A grey can't live in a small cage. They need to be out of a cage a minimum of 2 hrs a day--more is better. There's many other things to say but start off by thinking about things that have been mentioned. You may need reading material that only deals with greys and I don't know how available they are in your country.

This is not to insult you but many people buy greys for the wrong reason and the birds wind up in shelters which isn't good for the bird. You should also have a choice of greys to choose frm.

Edited by Dave007

First you should read this

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189315-Ten-Reasons-Not-to-Buy-a-Bird

Because you're very new at owning parrots, you should realize that african greys are one of the more difficult parrots to deal with. It's even more difficult when a person who hasn't dealt with large parrots decides to take in a pre owned parrot who is usually an adolescent or adult bird. That type of bird already has a partially developed personality that won't change and the person taking in a pre owned parrot has gotta be ready for those ups and downs. An experienced person who deals with parrots usually understands the pitfall and good point of having a pre owned parrot. Greys are very intelligent as far as personality goes, that'll constantly change as the bird gets older. They're a very independent type of bird and they're not cuddly when they're older. You're right about clipping. There's a very large section here about that subject which explains clipping in detail.

Besides owning one, there's vet bills. They can only be taken care of by Vets who only deal with birds. Then the cage---it needs to be large enough for a medium to large sized parrot. A grey can't live in a small cage. They need to be out of a cage a minimum of 2 hrs a day--more is better. There's many other things to say but start off by thinking about things that have been mentioned. You may need reading material that only deals with greys and I don't know how available they are in your country.

This is not to insult you but many people buy greys for the wrong reason and the birds wind up in shelters which isn't good for the bird. You should also have a choice of greys to choose frm.

Hi Dave,

Its a very firm and to the point facts. Things that make you think twice. I definitely has made me. But with so many things to worry about, what about the joys of having a Grey. I'm sure its a delicate balance between good and bad. Everything out there, no matter how brilliant, has its flaws and its only about realizing and recognizing them and choosing whats best for you. :)

I still am in two minds but reading about what people have to write about their Greys and how they are around them really makes me want to have one. Also adding to the fact that how much i adore creatures of feather.

But putting it honestly, considering what i had written prior to your comment, what would be your honest opinion?

**But with so many things to worry about,**

Actually, I don't understand what you mean---what things to worry about? Does it concern birds or yourself?

****but reading about what people have to write about their Greys and how they are around them really makes me want to have one. Also adding to the fact that how much i adore creatures of feather. ****

Yes, thats very true. Most people will speak about their success stories. What doesn't get mentioned much is the stories of what didn't turn out to be a success. This is a board that's mostly composed of people who gotten baby birds and they constantly speak about the great things that are happening as the birds get older. Many people here, by their own admission, find it very upsetting when those very young cuddly birds age and lose that cuddliness. A grey isn't a cuddly bird after a certain age. Many people are shocked when one day, their bird bites them for what seems to be not a good reason. People usually blame themselves. They're not aware that *poncho" is starting to grow up and acting more and more like a parrot. Many people were never told that the bird would change. It's not the person's fault though.

Some people don't realize that parrots--all parrots-- are wild animals and will remain wild throughout their lives even if kept as a pet. Parrots are totally different than domestic animals.

***I'm sure its a delicate balance between good and bad.***

yes, very delicate.

***what about the joys of having a Grey****

Well, you've already said that you've read about so many joys of owning a parrot here so you've covered that.

There's so many things that are attached to a person wanting to know about owning a parrot of any type. Life style, other people around, environment, amount of time to spend with a bird, what a person realizes that they have to alter in their lifestyle etc etc. I can't possibly answer things I don't know about you. You can set up a scenario but that won't help either.

I'm not trying to insult you here. As a matter of fact, I'm not trying to insult you anywhere but I'll say this---I love and have always loved birds since childhood. It didn't matter what color they were, whether they were small or large, whether they were wild animals that only came into my backyard. I've dea;lt with all types of parrots through the years. I have a number of greys, all from different situations. All are adults. All have different personalilities. It's been difficult but I've dealt with difficult birds for years.

***But putting it honestly, considering what i had written prior to your comment, ***

First off, I applaud your honesty. It was well written and it also showed the feelings you have. A true piece of explanation.

It showed that you want to have love and a good life with a grey or any other parrot. It also showed me that you're inexperienced with parrots which many people don't like to do. By you doing this, I can be honest with you.

****what would be your honest opinion? ***

My honest opinion is yes, you can own one as long as you honestly stay connected to people who will help you with process such as the people here. All here try to help constantly. But you do need to ask questions as they pop into your head and not feel that the question is minor. The only question that's minor is the one that's never asked.

Your main situation would require that you get a young bird who is fully weaned meaning that the bird only eats parrot food, veggies, fruit etc--no formula.

The second thing and maybe the most difficult is that you need to be able to have a choice when picking one out. Knowing only one person who has 1 bird for sale isn't a good idea. Most people won't do that. The bird is not a baby and you don't know what the bird's past was. You need to shop around. It's difficult but it'w worth it.

So, it's up to you. This is the only advice I wanna give because it covers many things

Edited by Dave007

Dave has written a ton of great advice.

The only things I have to add are:

1) A two year old grey is a real handful, rebellious and just like a teenage human, will test their limits with you constantly and very stubbornly.

2) They require a very good diet that requires time every day to prepare and server atleast 2 times a day with different foods. Example, veggies and nean mix or mash. Evenings perhaps some nuts like walnut, almond, cashew etc.

3) They will poop on your furniture, floor etc. anywhere they decide they need to go every 15 to 20 minutes.

4) They require a big cage and plenty of toys to keep them active and challenged mentally.

5) They will always want to be with you wherever you are in the house. They depend on the flock for survival and fellowship and are hard wired to stay with them at all times. If they can't see you, they will contact call you almost constantly if they know you are in the house.

6) As Dave suggested, you may want to try finding a young grey that is just weaned and fledged.

7) Stay in touch here constantly and ask questions, share your experiences and draw on the vast amount of knowledge here combined by the many members we have here.

8) Be prepared to commit to a companion bird that will remain with you until you die. They have VERY long lives.

It's great having you here and I hope to hear a lot more from you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Since everyone else is being straight up and honest, I will be too = )

If you are still in two minds about it, then I would say no to getting a grey, or any other large parrot. As the others have said, greys are not easy animals to live with. They are not domesticated like dogs or cats, but nor are they quite wild. They are demanding, both in personal attention and their care, and live for a very long time. They are messy and destructive birds, and may not always behave the way we want or expect. Grey owners need to make personal sacrifices to ensure their birds' physical and mental wellbeing, for the next 50+ years.

If you are not 100% certain of this, then I would recommend not getting a grey.

Your honesty is amazing by the way, and very heart warming to read!