NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help !!!!!!!!!!!

Talon

A quick story on recent developments this past week. Nilah has been trying to follow us out the door. A couple of times, she almost made it into the garage...tonight tho.....

I was upstairs in my bedroom at my computer, and the birds where downstairs with my kids. 2 of my 3 kids went out the door with their friends......one of their teenage friends thought it would be funny to spin out in the driveway with his car. The noise made my 11 year old run out the front door to see what happened....Nilah flew at the door as he came back in. (all this happened while I was upstairs) He slammed the front door....Nilah's feet were stuck in the door...he panicked and didn't know what to do...he was afraid if he opened the door, she would escape. Her NON-STOP SCREAMS sent me flying down the stairs almost falling as I was tripping over the dog. When I saw what was going on, I told him to open the door as I told Nilah to step up. It all happened so quickly...:(

One of her talons was badly cut and loose scales were hanging off, of course it was bleeding, but not for very long. She kept chewing the skin of it off. It is cut lenghthwise. Looks like someone sliced it, but it's very chewed up looking now. There is nothing to stitch up, but it is very raw looking. After many cuddles and comfort from me, I finally got her settled and into bed now. This happened about 3 hours ago.

I am wondering what I can do so that infection won't set in. She won't let me put anything cold on it, a cloth, paper towel, tried...HATES cold. Any suggestions...?

I have been so worried about her.

Plus, now we have to make some decisions as to how we are going to handle this flying routine. I HATE to take her newly found flying skills away from her. She LOVES to fly throughout the house yelling my name..."BIRD!" But this is for another time, my main concern right now is helping her heal, and eating will be a problem, she LOVES holding her own food...:(

I hope Nilah is goimg to be ok,I should say Nilah will be ok. Doors make me well we have a lot of doors in our house and Corky and Cricket like to land on them and I am always afraid of this happining. Can she move her toes ok and can you use a Q tip and proxide to help her. We have a tiel that had a cut on her foot from Cricket and that is what we did.

Cricket wishes her well.

I like Ray's suggestion of putting some peroxide on it maybe heating it a little bit to warm it up since she hates anything cold but you can always call your avian vet to find out what he recommends.

Poor Nilah but this was an accident waiting to happen when you have children in the house, let us know how she is this morning.

Hi everyone, Thanks for all the suggestions.

Update: Nilah is very quiet this am, some quiet talking, standing on one foot...she ate breakfast with me as usual, except she was perched on 1 foot on my forearm, I had to feed her oatmeal on a spoon like always, but she can't hold food yet, so I had to hold her toast while she ate it. Her foot is swollen, but when she has to, she will step on it. Mostly she holds it up and stays put. Not much flying.

I don't want to put any ointment on it, cause she will lick or chew at it. I am also afraid that peroxide might sting. I am spraying her foot with 2.5 acid water, she doesn't seem to mind it. After 30 seconds, this water will kill any kind of infection as well as speed up the healing process. I almost took her to the vet this am, but she seems to be ok so far.

Thanks for all your concern and help. I will keep you updated.. :)

I'm glad to hear Nilah seems pretty well off after all that. It must have been scary & it always hurts to see them in pain like that.

As long as you feel very comfortable that there aren't any broken or dislocated bones, you might use aloe vera gel for her. It has some components to help ward off infection, will help sooth the broken skin & promote healing without possible side effects if ingested.

If you use gel (vs diluted spray) & glob it on the end of your finger you can apply as often as you like without actually touching her & possibly causing more pain. You could also put it in the fridge & maybe the cold will help some, too.

Hope Nilah feels better soon.

Update. It's been one week, NIlah's foot seems to be much better. She's finally using it as normal. Still has some scales to heal, but she seems to be doing well. Thanks for all your suggestions and help, and especially your support. Hope to get some pics up soon.

• 3 weeks later...