NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tips to help Nikki explore new foods

Danielle Reis

Hey all!

I am a fairly new Grey owner (about 9 months now) and have had a ball getting my grey (Nikki) to trust me. Her owner passed away last May and I took her in so she did not have to go to a rescue. She was very well cared for in her old home and I can only hope I am providing the same environment.

I do have one worry for her though, I cannot get her to give organic pellets a chance. I've tried to use a little lemon juice for flavor or even get her interested by pretending to eat them myself. She wants nothing to do with them. She really loves her seed mix and I worry about the high fat content. I do provide fresh fruits and veggies everyday along with either cereal or brown rice. I'm just at a loss. I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on diets for greys. I just want her to be happy and healthy. She tends to be very shy about trying anything new, food or even toys. Any advice would be appreciated to get her to open up!!

Danielle

Nikki is ~21 years old. The previous owner rescued her and was only told an approximate age. She's been with me about 9 months now and is very particular about what she eats and when. She will even ask for her favorite foods (apples, carrots, popcorn) and responds negatively if it isn't what she wants. As soon as I figure out how I will post a picture of her. She loves to sing and repeat phone conversations. My favorite is she guesses random letters while we watch wheel of fortune. While I'm at home she is definitely my shadow :) Thanks for the warm welcome! It may take me a little while to figure out how to do everything on here.

I have tried my parrots on many different pellets. I have a 16 year old Hahn's macaw and an 18 year old Senegal. (My grey is just a baby) I had them on Pretty Bird pellets for years. After starting my research on greys, I saw some opinions that natural pellets might be better for them. I switched them to Zupreem Natural and they took to it without any trouble. Just recently I got TOPs pellets. (I have to order those. The Zupreem are available in my local pet store.) I put some of those in their bowls. The Senegal seems to prefer them. I'm not sure if it's the taste or the size of the pellets. The Zupreem pellets I have for him are small balls (for lack of a better description) while the TOPs are small tubes. He can hold them in his foot and I think he likes that. The macaw still prefers the Zupreem (larger, oval pellets) If you are able, I would suggest trying some different types and see if Nikki might find one she likes.