NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

She's finally here beautiful Rita

crysmom

After a long wait to wean and a delayed flight due to snowstorm our beautiful timneh has arrived

rita005.jpg

rita003.jpg

rita002.jpg

rita001.jpg

here are some pictures, she is very friendly and definately able to fly (as she very capably demonstrates by landing on my head repeatedly) as soon as I opened the crate she stepped right out she already knows how to "step up" and is eating well prefers the harrisons pellets over the tops and loves pumpkin seeds can't wait to get to know her over the next while

we just had a little feast Rita really enjoyed herself on the kitchen counter tearing apart apple slices and picking seeds out of cherry tomatoes she's very adventurous trying to discover the ktichen sink I cracked a couple nuts for her but left the shell on so now she is sitting on her perch (which she rarely stays on) picking the shells off the nuts and eating them

well now i've been christened by a grey Rita pooped in my hair yesterday (yuck)

Is it normal for weaned babies to regress? The breeder advised me she might and to offer formula in the evenings and she does take a spoonful or two or three today I offered it in the morning as wel and she only took a bit she is eating well today she tried a cooked mash with rice/beans/ and dehydrated veggies and seemed to enjoy it

she does not like the tops pellets

well now i've been christened by a grey Rita pooped in my hair yesterday (yuck)

I think we all have been "christened" by that method at one time or another and some more than once!

Yes sometimes weaned babies do regress and if she wants the evening formula then by all means give it to her, in fact give it to her for as long as she wants it for it won't hurt her and she will let you know when she no longer needs it or wants it.

Thats great that she took to a cooked mash and do offer her lots of fresh veggies too. If she doesn't like the Tops pellets then try another brand until you find one that she will eat for pellets do provide nutrition and should be a part of her daily diet.

Thanks Judy

I should have been more clear she is eating well she likes the zupreem avian entrees pellets as well as the harrisons but always leaves the tops behind so she is taking a pellet

Fresh veggies yes I offer three kinds a day so far she has had brocoli, cucumber, mandarin orange (a favorite) carrots cooked potatoe cooked sweet potatoe cauliflower and romaine lettuce and banana

and of course the cooked mix from today which was a first for her and two pieces of pasta last night, she liked that

Tonight Rita has perfected landing on the boing as well she is now landing on my shoulder instead of my head most of the time, and if I hear her coming and lift my arm she lands on my forearm.

She was a lot more zealous with the pellets tonight and she ate two teaspoons of pomegranate which she ate with reckless abandon

Today she tore apart her toy in her cage (made with easy to destroy bamboo finger traps and woven zigzag stuff)

she is so quiet though do greys not do a wild sounding contact call? Rita only chirps

Greys are known for being one of the quieter parrots but she will get into her more vocal periods as time goes on, wait until she play fights with one of her toys, mine can make some racket when she fights with her bell so if Rita doesn't already have one I would get one for no grey should be without it, glad to hear she is doing so well.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

I'm no longer worried about Rita being quiet she definately is not :)

Rita is developing into a wonderful bird

she is so sweet and loves to have her head rubbed. she loves having showers

she is fearless and friendly she has learned to tease the cat by sticking her toys out the side of the cage and wiggling them for her so she comes to play (not the safest idea but we lock the cat up when we go out)

she is learning to speak and whistle funny things When you say Is Rita a pretty girl? she wolf whistles back She has learned to say pretty girl and to answer What does a rooster say by going Cockadoodle doo (my son doesn't think this was the best thing to teach her, because its a little noisy) she loves to chatter away when you are trying to watch a movie or the news ;)

She is a much friendlier bird than my senegal ever was and we are so happy we got her

Rita just needed a little time to settle in and feel comfortable so her true personality could come out, so glad to hear she is doing just fine and chatting away, thanks for giving us an update on Rita, hope to hear lots more about her and some pics too if possible.