NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

bugs in bird food and everywhere else

coolnana5

• 1 month later...

Ya know what it seems that it took me almost 6 months to get rid of mine but I finally did it and I'll tell you how...first I freeze all of the birds food, seeds, pellets, ANYTHING I can for 72 hours, then I leace it all in the fridge...it's sad that there's more bird food than people food in my fridge LOL

Secondly go to the store and buy WHOLE bay leaves...if you just put them in the bag or box of food or whatever, they won't go near the stuff to lay more eggs!

Thirdly lock up all your food tight! These guys get into everything it's disturbing, they got into an unopened box of cereal and chewed through the plastic to get to my honey bunches of oats, the bastards!

I bought tons of cheap glad tupperware, on top of the other glass ones I already had. I locked up my cereal, crackers, anything that was left open in the cabinets, same with the birds' treats and such. When they can't feed on anything they start dying off. I'd say in the past 2 months once I went and started doing this I noticed about a 75% decrease in the amount of moths and larvae!!! That and I also hung up fly strips also as another precaution I used to catch dozens onthose things...I've had the strips up for a week and only caught maybe 2-3 moths on each one, so you can definitely tell I've had a huge decrease!

Either way good luck!

Ya know what it seems that it took me almost 6 months to get rid of mine but I finally did it and I'll tell you how...first I freeze all of the birds food, seeds, pellets, ANYTHING I can for 72 hours, then I leace it all in the fridge...it's sad that there's more bird food than people food in my fridge LOL

Secondly go to the store and buy WHOLE bay leaves...if you just put them in the bag or box of food or whatever, they won't go near the stuff to lay more eggs!

Thirdly lock up all your food tight! These guys get into everything it's disturbing, they got into an unopened box of cereal and chewed through the plastic to get to my honey bunches of oats, the bastards!

I bought tons of cheap glad tupperware, on top of the other glass ones I already had. I locked up my cereal, crackers, anything that was left open in the cabinets, same with the birds' treats and such. When they can't feed on anything they start dying off. I'd say in the past 2 months once I went and started doing this I noticed about a 75% decrease in the amount of moths and larvae!!! That and I also hung up fly strips also as another precaution I used to catch dozens onthose things...I've had the strips up for a week and only caught maybe 2-3 moths on each one, so you can definitely tell I've had a huge decrease!

Either way good luck!

Several months after moving in our present home, we suddenly got black bugs in our flour, cereal, grits, bird food, etc. They got into everything. In our case they weren't moths...they were sawtooth grain beetles. You can read more about them here: http://www.pantrypest.com/sawtooth.htm I tried bay leaves, which worked temporarly (you have to put fresh whole bay leaves into the staple items). Then I realized that a month earlier I had tossed these square flat Combat things lying in the cabinets and under the sinks, etc that were placed before we moved in. I figured they were old and inert, but they actually last a long time.

We went out and bought more, placing them everywhere we had food and seeds. It took a few days, but soon we were rid of any and all bugs and we haven't seen any since.

The website I pointed out above doesn't even mention Combat products of any kind, but they definately worked for us and we've never had a problem with them or roaches since.

It couldn't hurt to give it a try.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you all for sharing your bugs in bird food and everywhere else. I now want to share my newly acquired info. I did tons more research on net and ended up on Terminx site--good info and pics of all kinds of pests. I do not have flying bugs--they just crawl. My research determines these bugs are GRANARY WEEVILS, and just found the source--10 lbs. Cockatiel seed! I've had them about a month. I sprayed with Ant/Roach killer, and that kills what I can see. They are all over bird cage, carpet around cage, kitchen floor and counters. Even got into top freezer!! I am going to try more traps, as they are helping, as well as getting rid of the seed and will now check all my cereal, flour, nuts, etc.!