NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First and Second Molts

Xtreme575

Ok, so I was just thinking that Paco's first mold was nearly over. I started noticing pin feathers and small grey feathers last January, this continued on until nearly every feather was replaced. I can still tell the difference by colour, the new feathers are a more vibrant grey.

Anyway, I thought things had finally stopped. No more feathers and no more pin feathers, and I noticed that I didn't have to pull the vacume out nearly as often to chase the fluffy white feathers.

Then this weekend happened. All of a sudden, there are white fluffies everywhere and Saturday saw a brand new (this spring) flight feather get launched through the air. Upon examining this feather, there is no damage, nor any reason that it should have come out in mid-flight without it being molted.

Could he be starting his 2nd mold already, or could he have just had a rest period in the first molt? He is 20 months old now.

January to November----exactly right.--10 mts--should molt.

"""(this spring) flight feather get launched through the air.""

Just a coinicidence.You'll see flight feathers dropping all year long without any other feathers and that dead flight or tail feather doesn't show any signs of being dead except when you examine the base of the feather and it looks whitish and a bit hollow. That means the blood supply is gone from the feather.

My TAG just finished up a big one and it normally happens with him because he does a big one the same time every year because many of his flight, tail and covert feathers die at the same time

Day 1--2 flight feathers

Day 2--1 flight feather, 2 tail feathers

Day 3--1 flight feather and 3 covert feathers

Day 4--3 tail feathers and 1 flight feather and 2 covert feathers

And then he was finished, preened the new feathers from his oil gland and continued eating.

Thanks Judy and Dave, I appreciate it. I guess this is a continuation of the molt, because yesterday there were three flight feathers and a tail feather. What was amazing was that one of the flights was still from his clipping from the breeder! I thought they were all gone! So it's almost as though there was a little rest during the molt, where he didn't lose any (bigger) feathers and now its starting again.

He's been crabby, nippy and quite quiet tonight, so he must be uncomforatable. I keep the house really humid, running a humidifier 24/7, with just a break to refill the water tank, on top of his 3-4 showers each week, and the aloe juice on top of that.