NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Iron Overdosing????

MarcusCAG

Don't be to hard on yourself, we all make mistakes. The important thing is that you discovered it fairly early and recognized it as a potential problem. I had a similar iron incident early on, I didn't even think about spinach being high in iron, and was only thinking that spinach was leafy and green, therefore it must be good! Can you find an alternative to the iron fortified cereal to use as a base? It's so hard when you find something they really like (mine loves spinach) but isn't great for them. I still offer spinach as a treat once in a while, but remain concious that it leaches calcium from the bird's system. Good luck, and if you look back on older posts, I think there are a lot of birdie-bread recipes on here... Mine is scared of it, so I gave up.

Where in the world did you ever hear that iron, whether it be in baby food, cereal, parrot food, is not good?? It's in all nuts that a parrot eats be it raw or human grade. Parrot pellets have iron. It's in veggies that a parrot or human eats. It's in cheese. It's in all meats that humans eat. It's in all poultry that humans eat. It's in all of the bread that people eat. It's in all the baby food/formula that's sold to infants. The iron is the base of all vitamins. People with HIV and Diabetes are given extra iron supplements because of all of the natural vitamins that have been depleted. Every bottle of vitamin tablets sold on the market has iron in it.

Do you really think that anyone would publish bird recipes in which those recipes have toxic materials in it?

And, as far as various birdie bread recipes on this board, you'll find that the large amount of ingredients in those recipes also have iron in it.

Edited by Dave007

• 4 weeks later...

Iron is important for birdies and here are some cheap bird food enriched with Iron.

ZuPreem® FruitBlend™ Flavor Premium Bird Food

FruitBlend™ Flavor Premium Bird Food

ZuPreem® FruitBlend Flavor Premium Bird Food is formulated for various species of adult psittacines (hookbills) and passerines (softbills). Made from fresh ground fruit for a taste and aroma birds love. Nutritionally balanced and available in various pellet sizes.

AvianEntrées® Premium Bird Food

ZuPreem® AvianEntrées are ultra premium, everyday diets for adult birds. Three different mixes with nutritious pellets and high-quality fruit and vegetables. In sizes for parrots and small birds.

ZuPreem® Natural Bird Food

Natural Bird Food

ZuPreem® Natural Bird Food offers complete nutrition for various species of adult psittacines (hookbills) and passerines (softbills). Ideal for those wanting to feed a more natural diet. Available in various pellet sizes.

Bird Cookies

ZuPreem® Bird Cookies offer complete and balanced nutrition in a treat. Three flavor varieties each with an enticing bakery-fresh aroma. The heart-shape makes it easy for birds to hold.

I hope you guys find this information helpful

Regards