NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

An update on Maggie

Chris and Matt

Maggie will be 6 months old soon and she has definitely grown to be a very important part of our home! We were hoping to socialize her well with anyone who came to the house but she definitely seems to have taken to Matt. I was a little upset at first since I feed her, bathe her, give her teats, clean her cage, etc but this only led to frustration on both of our parts and me being on the receiving end of a few good nips! Now that Maggie and I are on the same page we seem to be getting along a lot better.

Maggie cries for Matt in the evening about the time that he's supposed to be getting home from work (I don't know how she has this figured out). In the afternoon I sit her on the perch by the front window so she can wait for him to pull up in the driveway and she gets very excited and calls for him. It's pretty cute. I've learned that if he's in the room she wants nothing to do with me. She'll step up for me without a problem but if I offer her a scratch she'll lunge. If he's at work and I ask nicely enough she'll let me give her a scratch and maybe even some cuddles.

She's so vocal throughout the day and especially in the evening. She makes so many sounds and it seems like she's coming up with a new one every couple of days, she never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes she make a really guttural mumble and it sound like she's trying to say something but it's always unintelligible.

Also, I'm convinced Maggie was a bat in a previous life. I can't tell you how many times I'll walk in to the office where her cage is and she'll just be hanging out upside down in her cage. When I give her a funny look she looks at me like I'm crazy. When she gets really riled up she'll hang upside down and attack her toys wildly getting them to swing all over the place and crash in to things. She also loves hanging upside down from her rope swing and using other things in her cage to swing herself. So cute! I may not be her favorite human but she's amazing and I love our girl!

(Maggie is currently sulking on her play perch. I think she knows Matt's gone for the weekend, she looks downright depressed)

76716_10150328430070313_843395312_15392699_463612_n.jpg

Oh yeah that is typical of a grey to hang from the cage bars like a bat and attack their toys with much glee, you would think they were mad at them, my grey does the same thing except her attention is usually towards a big bell that she loves to hear make racket.

A lot of greys will prefer one half of a couple over the other and it doesn't matter whether you are the one to feed her, clean her cage, give her treats or give scritches, they will do most anything for the favored one and like you have found out that you can get better treatment from her if Matt is not around. You may be playing second fiddle but you both have a separate relationship with her and it could change in the future as it is not unusual for them to switch their favorites.

Thanks for the update on Maggie, she sounds like a normal grey so enjoy her.

Maggie certainly is a real cutie and this your post is a great update. It is too bad we can't choose who our greys, like, love and just tolerate. It seems so unfair sometimes, but then we don't want anyone telling who we can love or what we care about either. Ana Grey is my girl, but I live alone. She likes my two grandsons and that's about it. My oldest daughter has tried to interact with her and Ana Grey just turns up her nose. Funny thing is that it is my oldest daughter who will be finding Ana Grey a home when I go. I guess Ana Grey doesn't care what side her bread is buttered on!!! LOL!!!! I'm glad you and Maggie have at least come to an understanding, thanks for the great update!!!

If she's only 6 mt old, she'll change to you then back to him then back to you then back to him until that day comes when she'll ease up on the choosing. The bird is going though it's own way of socializing into your family. She's still a baby.

Who knows, maybe she thinks your husband is very handsome and alluring at this moment.

Females are very fickle.