NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about my annual vet visit and preening gland problems

Buffy

My birds had their check up at the vet last week, and I have a couple of questions about what my vet told me. Echo had her yearly check up and Thumper had his initial check up. The vet told me that both birds had a very dry preening gland which means they are both vitamin A and D deficient, and that if it got worse she may actually have to cut the preening gland to release the dry, crusty oil (not sure what word she actually said, but I hope this gives the right picture). I was shocked because both of my birds are on a very varied diet of pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables, and a pasta, bean, frozen veggie mixture that I cook up and feed them three times a week. Niether bird gets enough sun so I have ordered an avian sunlamp. Echo is a picky eater but still eats quite a bit of her fruits and veggies, but won't touch certain veggies I give her. Thumper eats everything in sight and consumes a very rich, varied diet. Is it really possible that both birds preening gland is not producing enough oil? Has anyone else dealt with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She gave me a list of veggies high in vitamin A, but they already get all the veggies on the list except bell peppers which I have added to their diet.

My vet is the only vet that sees birds within a 70 mile radius of me, but she is not certified throught he American association of Avian veternarians. I just want to make sure that what she is telling me is possible. She also told me to stop feeding them broccoli because it can cause thyroid problems in Greys, but everything I've read talks about what a great vegetable broccoli is for my birds.

Also, the checkup for both birds cost me $450. Is this about right for two avain check ups?

On a positive note, she did not hassle me at all about my decision to let my birds flight wings grow out.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

The most common abnormality of the uropygial ( preening gland) occurs from vitamin A deficiency. Birds on poor diets are likely to be vitamin A deficient. Correction of the diet and perhaps an injection of parenteral vitamin A, will usually rectify the problem.

Infection may also occur in the uropygial gland. This may be secondary to hypovitaminosis A, immunosuppressive disease, such as that which occurs with Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD), or trauma.

The usual treatment is a cleaning out of the area and possibly a VIT A injection like he says. Only he can see how deep the infection is though. So he may suggest a more thorough flushing out of the area. I underline the above area because it is unusual for 2 birds to have that same preening gland problem at the same time so the birds need to be checked. That illness can be spread from one bird to another.

Another sitiation with the gland could be very minor such as a clogged up area that's be hard for a bird to get rid of.

As far as price, it depends upon what the vet did with both birds, tests, medications but even then, vets have their own prices.

The food you're giving is fine including the broccali but it shouldn't be given on a constant basis ( everyday) That also applies to other vegetables everyday. They need to be rotated.

Thank you Dave. She did not mention the PBFD at all which worries me. Can the birds be tested for this to find out if this is the issue? I'll begin research on this immediately. The price included only a general check up, fecal smear, and for Echo, a Polyoma vaccine booster. I was even charged a bio hazard fee for each bird. Never had a vet charge me for that before. It just seemed strange.

"""""that if it got worse she may actually have to cut the preening gland to release the dry, crusty oil """"""

He means the area would have to be enlarged ( slightly stretched, not cut open)

PBFD is also known as a wasting disease which affects Macaws more than other species and more than likely, there were no symptoms that he could see which more than likely is the reason it wasn't mentioned. And yes, it can be diagnosed.

The only reason I suggested other testing was because both birds have the same problem at the same time. Only a vet can test for different problems.

As far as the bio hazard thing, you've got me there. You really should call and ask about what that means. It's definitely not a test for PBFD.

You should also ask if what she found was connected to any other possible problems. Ask her opinion about how the gland problem happened. I can't diagnose. I'm not a vet and I wouldn't wanna unecessarily frighten you.

Buffy,

Were any blood samples taken? Was there a gland infection?

Before undertaking any procedure on the gland, I would insist on a full blood panel to determine if indeed there is a vitamin issue. I find it hard to believe that a pellet-raised grey is vit A deficient to the point where it would present a preening gland issue.

It also seems very odd to me that both birds would present uropygial gland problems AND to have it caused by a vitamin deficiency. It would be more likely to be a topical infection rather than something systemic. To what extent do the pair share cage, play space, and food?

Just some thoughts.

Thank you so much everyone! No blood samples were taken and there was no gland infection. She just said it was swollen and crusty which could cause problems later, and that if got worse she would have to open the gland up and remove it. Each bird has a seperate cage, but play and eat together often. The vets advice for fixing this issue was to change from Hagen pellets to Harrisons. I have already gotten my youngest switched to Harrisons as he will eat anything put in front of him even Palm oil, but my oldest is a very finicky eater and has not touched the Harrisons yet.

After exhaustive research throughout the weekend, I decided it was time to pack up and head to Atlanta, Ga which is the closest area to me with highly reputed avian veternarians. I called today to make an appointment. Shockingly, when I told them I was needing a second opinion on some preening gland issues with my parrots, the vet called me back and talked to me at length over the phone for free! She was wonderful. She asked me a long series of questions ranging from 'do I take my birds to shows to whether or not they still had their powder down. She told me that she commonly sees this issue in African Grey parrots and that its usually more genetics than a vitamin or disease issue. She did recommend that I have my vet run blood work to be safe, but that as a whole, she agreed with my vets diagnosis and that she most likely didn't recommend further testing because she didn't see any other concerning problems with the birds (My vet did tell me the birds looked perfect except for the preening gland). She said she was very familiar with the breeder I bought my birds from, and is not aware of any outbreaks of PBFD at her facility. She said greys often get a clogged preening gland and it could turn into a tumor if not removed.

I was really starting to worry that I had a vet who went to a few bird seminars and felt she was knowledgeable enough to see birds, so this has alleviated a lot of my concerns. However, I'm still anxious about it all. None of this answers the question of why is it an issue with both birds. They are from the same breeder but not the same parents. Could I be the only person around that got two different birds with the same genetic problem? LOL. I wouldn't doubt it, but I wouldn't take anything for them be it genetics or PBFD or anything else. Thank you to you all for your help and time. I will keep you updated.