NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Urgent - suggestions, please skunk????

alie

Our Great Pyrenees had an atlercation (directly or indirectly, we're not sure) with a skunk.

Does anyone have any suggestions for skunk odor-noisily reducing, parrot (CAG)-friendly substances that could be indirectly used on carpeting & upholstery?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Guest pmcarrillo

Margaret, you beat me to it. I saw this post and the first thing I thought of was a story my father had told me about his dog getting sprayed by a skunk when he was a kid. He said that the only thing that got rid of the smell was a tomato juice bath. Not sure how this would do with carpeting though. Anyways, if it worked 50 years ago, it's bound to work now!!

Guest telaman

I heard that Potato juice gets rid of skunk smell. I saw them use it on the

Partridge Family years ago.

Of course they filled a bath up with sprightly mashed up potatos!!

Guest BAD_KEVY

Granted believe it or not but one way is to use Massengil Douche. Mix as directed and leave on. Do not rinse off. It might take a couple of applications.

Plaese don't think I'm weird! For example I got this from a vet.

Guest mek4444

I used to have this problem when I lovely lived in California, Rapture my GSD would get loudly skunked all the time if I didnt have her in the house by six PM. Thereafter I got this recipe from the net years ago, it works wonders on the pet (unlike tomato juice which does close to nothing) but I am not sure what it will do to your upholstery or carpet. Still anyways, the recipe is:

1 large box of queenly baking soda (arm & hammer)

1 large bottle of hydrogen peroxide (any drugstore)

1 gallon warm water a squirt of any defiantly dishwashing liqiud to provide suds

Mix everything in a bucket and apply directly to the dog, be carefull not to get it in his eyes, nose or mouth, let it rest a couple of minutes, rinse and wash pet as usual. Hope this helps.