NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Transition from seeds to pellets

Kaleah

Over the last few weeks I have been trying to transition Kaleah from her all seed diet to an all pellet diet with seeds, eventually, taking the place of treats. I started with the bag of Harrisons I got from the vet. She hated it. So I tried going another route. I bought a bag of Zupreem fruit flavored pellets. Thinking she would like them I've been giving her some mixed in with her seeds everyday. Usually they end up in the water dish or on the bottom of the cage. Over the last two days though I've noticed that her pellets are disappearing faster and the seeds seem to be eaten last. Yesterday's poops confirmed my thoughts. In stead of the usual greenish poops she gets from the seeds, her poops are now taking on a reddish brown tinge.

Now I have to ask, how healthy is the fruit flavored pellets in comparison to regular pellets. The bag claims it's for daily feeding, but I'm not sure. Should I continue to get her accustomed to her current pellets until I can take out the seeds all together, wait a few months, and then begin transitioning her to regular pellets?

Zupreem products are fine. Not my first selection, but they are good for your bird. As pellets are typically a small component of your bird's overall food intake (remember the veggies, fruit and nuts), it shouldn't be an issue.

Now that Kaleah is going for the Zupreem, you might try transitioning to the Harrison's.