NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot Identification Methods

JillyBeanz

I've been debating whether to get Harvey's leg band removed and perhaps microchipped - but have come across this - what do you all think?

SmartWater

SmartWater can be used to protect almost anything it is a forensic deterrent with the potency of providing details of ownership of items instantly, providing an unprecedented degree of identification, so powerful in fact it has been likened to DNA profiling. SmartWater is a clear, water based solution with built in "synthetic DNA" with each license holder having a unique code. When applied to equipment or the skin or feathers of Parrots, offers conclusive Forensic evidence of ownership accepted by a Court of Law. If used to protect premises and aviaries, a system of hidden sprays can be triggered by a silent intruder alarm system, spraying a very fine odourless and colourless Smartwater droplets onto the intruders.

Once dry, it is almost impossible to wash off, so for months afterwards, the thief, together with his clothing, equipment and stolen property or Parrots carry indelible traces of SmartWater. It cannot be seen in normal light, but if a suspect is caught, or suspected stolen equipment or Parrots found, they can be examined by a simple ultraviolet light, and even if the smallest trace of SmartWater is present, samples can be taken for examination by the Police Forensic Science Service who can then positively link the suspect, equipment or Parrots to a particular theft and the legal owner.

Consequently, no matter wherever or in which country the thief hides or keeps the stolen equipment or Parrots, the Police can prove in Law the origin of the property or Parrots and when and where the theft took place.

SmartWater is applied by hand or spray to individual items of property or the skin, legs, beak and feathers of Parrots. Once dry , it is waterproof, invisible and extremely long lasting. Police authorities all over the UK have supported this product and its unique crime prevention and detection possibilities.

www.smartwater.com

It does sound interesting to me Jill, however, feathers and dead tissue fall off and what happens if you forget to spray your bird??? Kind of like the pill, you forget to take it and all kinds of long lasting consequences can happen!!!!! I prefer the micro-chip. When I take my pets to the vet, I always ask the vet to scan Lily or Ana Grey to reassure myself that their chips can be read easily. It takes only a second and I have never been refused the request.

hmmm. interesting.

I had all the leg bands removed from my 3 birds. I have them still, but I have read many tragic stories about too many accidents where the leg bands caused broken legs, chewed off legs and even death because the leg bands got caught on something while the owner was away or asleep. My vet also highly recommends removing them for safety reasons.

When Ana Grey was microchipped they wanted to put her to sleep, I think it was more because they thought they might get bitten, so I refused believing that her being drugged to go to sleep might be more harmful than the microchipping. Well the assistant came out to tell me that Ana Grey was a doll and as calm and sweet as could be. They were not bitten and Ana Grey had absolutely no after effects. I watched her closely for a day or two and she never even touched the microchipping site and has never complained. I feel so much more relieved knowing that if she flies out the door my chances of being able to claim her as my own have now been increased 100 fold.

The microchip needle is so big compared to a parrot. We use to microchip the shelter animals before they got adopted and it did hurt most of the animals at that moment, some even bled a bit. But then a few seconds after they were fine. Babalu is not banded or chipped.

Hmm, look what I just found on the FAQ part.

Can I mark my exotic animals, pets or livestock?

No. Although classified as non-hazardous, due to health and safety reasons SmartWater cannot be used for this purpose. Please be sure to read the health and safety instructions contained within your Application Guidelines.

If micro-chipping is painful, I didn't notice it when my pug or grey were micro-chipped. I compare it to immunizing my children, they cried for a little when they got some of their immunization shots but it was only for a moment. I knew they would be all right and would not get polio or tetanus or whatever and all was right in the world. I had a friend, Mary, whose parents didn't think a polio shot was important, she is the one who lived with her polio all her life!!!!!