NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adopting older, unknown birds....

sarahp

In the semi-local pet shop there are two African Greys: a CAG that's 7-years old and allows skritches through the bars but is apparently cage territorial, and a 10-40+ year old TAG that doesn't appear at all hand tame and outlived its owner. The CAG is a sweetie pie but I'm gravitating toward the TAG, partly because that's the species I originally wanted and partly because I love projects (which may sound calloused but it's true, I prefer things that take some effort and work). The TAG comes with a cage that's likely as old as it is, based on the wear and tear, but if I were to get it I'd definitely hold off on moving the bird to another cage until it was much more settled in my home.

My question is, what exactly am I looking at when adopting an unknown older bird? The pet shop staff knows next to nothing about this bird, other than it's been there a few months and apparently outlived its owner. It has an open-band on its leg so I'm assuming it's wild caught, which could easily make it older than me by quite a bit. I don't worry too much, I'm going on the assumption that it could still go another 10-40+ years easily and I am willing to work with a recalcitrant bird (and I get my lovins from my conures, so don't necessarily "need" a lover [although I wouldn't mind!]).

Anyway, long story short, has anyone ever adopted a much older bird? What were your experiences with taming it or improving its quality of life? Any advice for a Grey newbie who may be jumping into something outside her comfort zone? :D

My biggest fear on a personal level is that I would adopt the bird, fall in love and he/she would only live a short time. Preparing myself for that going in I would give the bird the best quality of life that I could for the time he/she has, which could be decades like you said. The younger (nicer?) bird probably has a better chance of being adopted by someone else since most will be unwilling to take on the older bird. I admit, I did not get a rehomed bird. I got a baby. I GREATLY admire those who are willing to provide a happy home for these birds who are in need more so than a baby.

If you scroll down to the thread called "Rescue Room", you can read lots of stories and experiences from those who have adopted previously owned birds.

We have had our grey Corky from a baby, But we did rehome a blue fronted amazon that was at that time around 12 years or so old that came with many issues. We have had her almost 2 years now.

Her name is Cricket and she has turned out to be a sweete and we have no regrets.

We used all the things that we learned for bringing up a grey when we rehomed Cricket and that is trust, kindnes, and lots of attention.

They take time to come around and each grey is differant in the time needed. If you like the TAG and have the time and the will than go for it.

This board has good people and they will help with any question you may have as you need to ask them

10-40+ year old... that doesn't appear at all hand tame and ... I prefer things that take some effort and work... has an open-band on its leg so I'm assuming it's wild caught, which could easily make it older than me by quite a bit. .. and I am willing to work with a recalcitrant bird ... a Grey newbie who may be jumping into something outside her comfort zone? :D

20+ years ago. When everthing about bird keeping was different. When I found him he was sick. The vets told me he would never be healthy. They also said he was incurably insane & should be destroyed. Any other choice would be cruelty.

So, they were wrong. But I originally signed up to take care of him, with no expectations that he would ever really be a companion parrot. I was just compelled to give this magnificent wreckage the best life I could.

His name is Phenix. Our first few years were extremely difficult. He still has trust issues. He still occassionally bites (hard!). He still doesn't socialize so well.

If I knew then what I know now, would I go back & do it again? YES, only better.

I have had all sorts of older 'second hand' birds and yes they take time to trust you but they can end up very loving. In fact my only baby ever is Copper my B&G. The first thing i do is get them a new cage, this actually does put them off of their pace a little but it also means that they do not proctect the cage so much. if you have time and patience i say go for it, even if he stays cage bound its got to be nicer to be in a home with good food and a normal every day life than being in a store with people poking at him a million times a day.

I agree with everything everyone has stated. His life with you will certainly be so much better than what he is experiencing now in the pet shop. You will be giving him a new chance at life. I say.... Go for it! The most relevant thing in the above posts was that you can always come here to get excellent advice and help whenever you need it. This is the BEST place on the web!

Kevin

The others have given great comments on their experiences with taking in a rescue bird. It must be based solely upon your heart and a commitment from you to provide unconditional love whether that bird turns out to be a cuddle muffin in time or just a standoffish but thankful bird for having a safe and loving environment.

I purchased a suspected wild caught conure 5 years ago we named Jake. It took 2 years before he would even consider a step up..rarely and now he loves to ride around on my shoulder and give kisses, but no scratches yet..hands touching are still scary. So you just never know what "Baggage" they are coming with. But, it can all be overcome with love, time and patience. :)

I purchased a suspected wild caught conure 5 years ago we named Jake. It took 2 years before he would even consider a step up..rarely and now he loves to ride around on my shoulder and give kisses, but no scratches yet..hands touching are still scary. So you just never know what "Baggage" they are coming with. But, it can all be overcome with love, time and patience.

Thats it in a nutshell and I am surprised it took 2 years before he would step up but conures can be stubborn little creatures as I have a sun conure but she was hand fed, not by me though.

I am sure that after spending time with each one you will know which one to go with and whatever you decide give it your best shot, take all the time you need to bring this bird around and accept what it will give in terms of love and companionship, you won't regret it and besides you have us all to help you in any step you need support or advice.

Anyway, long story short, has anyone ever adopted a much older bird? What were your experiences with taming it or improving its quality of life? Any advice for a Grey newbie who may be jumping into something outside her comfort zone? :D

I wouldn't say that he is a 'much older bird', but my husband and I recently adopted an 8-year-old male CAG whom we've named Marcus. He is very healthy and was well-cared for in his former home in the sense that he was regularly fed and cleaned... but we were told he hadn't been out of his cage in over three years and obviously wasn't handled at all during that time. In other words, he was a neglected bird. (And his diet left much to be desired, considering everything from a strawberry to a piece of pasta is a "french fry"--we're trying to break that!)

Marcus is very loving but he does have some 'baggage' from his former home, there were initially some issues with beak pressure (he hadn't been taught his limits) and we are still working through his fears related to past bad experiences with the "Step up!" command. Marcus is our first Grey, too, but the fact that we have a little Quaker parrot as well I think has been helping things a bit. He has obviously take to us all as his 'new flock' quite well, and at this point we can scratch his head confidently and he has allowed us to give him pellets although he still ignores most 'real food' we offer him except Birdie Bread... sigh... but hopefully that will change in the future, too.

If this is any perspective, additionally: my parents owned a wild-caught Blue-fronted Amazon parrot who lived to be 27 and died a few years ago from a tumor. :( They adopted him at about two years old, I think, from an ad in the paper back in 1980 or so. My father worked with him a lot in the beginning, from what my mom tells me (I was just a wee tyke back then, haha), but then after that he kind of became neglected and my mom was afraid of him so Cato Bird just kind of ended up being in a situation like what our Marcus came from. That haunts me now, when I was a teenager it kind of hit me sometimes that there was this beautiful bird in this cage that nobody ever worked with, so I tried in my own way but had no idea what I was doing. And Cato could be very scary, he was very aggressive. But I do believe if my dad had kept up with him he would have really ended up a wonderful companion parrot. I just wish I knew then about parrots what I do now... it would have been so different. You can't change the past, though, but it makes me want to do more for our Marcus and our little Beaker. So I guess I'm just saying, if you think you can handle a wild-caught bird and really work with him, I'm sure in time he will come to trust and love you and be a great companion, even if always a little more 'wild'. Either way, it sounds like the CAG and the TAG both need a good home... so I hope it all works out for the best and you can help at least one of them find a happy home.