NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What's the best temperature?

JDS5607

It's beginning to get rather chilly here in good old Baltimore...

We live in an apartment complex, and our neighbors have their heat on already--Which heats our apartment enough to the point where we can lounge around in sweatpants and t shirts and be comfortable. It stays about 70-72 degrees in here during the day, and during the night and early morning, it gets to about 67-70. We hate to have the heat on unless it gets SUPER COLD.

I guess my question is, will Sully need higher temperatures than this to be comfortable? I mean, I know usually the warmer the better, but with prices here, we cannot afford to run the heat to keep it at 75-77 degrees, nor is it comfortable for us. He IS by a big glass door- but it's very well insulated, and there is NO draft. At night we pull the blinds so it keeps the chill out... but like I said, it still gets down to about 67 degrees. We usually keep the apartment at 70-72 degrees all winter, and our little birds don't have a problem.

Any ideas?

I'm glad this question was asked because I was wondering the same thing. I usually keep my house between 68-70 depending on how cold it gets. We can have wind chills up to around -20 or more so I may bump the thermostat up to 72. My cockatiels have always done fine with that and I figured Kaleah would too, but I was still curious.

I have the thermostat set between 69-72 depending on how cold it gets. But we have a 3 story townhouse and my grey's cage is on first floor. It is at least 2-3 degrees cooler down there so I worry a little. I use fleece fabric to cover his cage and he has the thermo perch which he does not use of course. So I am going to get one of the avitec heat panels from one of the other posts, that way I can turn down the heat. It gets warm on the third floor and my husband prefers to be cold, he is weird...

Thanks, everyone!

Three of the five birds are in the living room/dining nook with us, so it's easy to keep an eye on the temperature, and the conures have a mini heater in their room that gets turned on for a minute or two just to get the chill out. :)

As the winter gets colder we will be turning the heat on, but I haaaaate using the heat, I'd rather cuddle in a blanket with Sully :)