NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First Grey

Hi All,

I am awaiting on getting my first African Grey! I was looking on the internet to read some facts about Greys, and can across this website.

Anyway, a little on my history if you are wondering... I was raised with Goffin Cockatoos, and swore I would always own one of my own. I found a wonderful breeder whom sold me this Goffin (she was honest and let me know he wasn't the nicest, and did pluck himself) I have had him about 7-8 months now and has all his tail feathers and has most his flight feathers as well. No more plucking! I am still not about to get him out of his cage (due to cage aggression) but I can get him to "Step Up" and pet him down his back, when he is in a generous mood! :) It has taken some time, and a great deal of patience but well worth it.

I wanted to check this site out because I would love to know tips about bringing an African Grey in, and maybe some cool facts. I know to let him have his space for the first 3-5 days, and then maybe try working with him, however, I have been told he is more prone to liking men then women (and I am a woman) So it makes me a little nervous. Guess we'll wait and see.

Anyway, I appreciate any comments and advise anyone is willing to give!

Thank you,

Megan

Hello Megan and welcome to the forum. It's been awhile since I myself have posted here. I have three Greys 1 congo, 2 timneh, I got my first grey about 10 yrs ago which was a little Timneh. I don't think the bonding thing is correct, I've had no problems with my greys bonding to me, although I do have a family my birds seem to know I am the bird person...I do all the care giving & feeding, I'm also the only one that spends quality time with them, so I guess they've just naturally bonded to me. I would say greys are generally more relaxed then your too, and the congo's can be more prone to picking feathers over the smaller timneh grey. I don't know which grey you prefer Congo Or Timneh, but I say meet both and see what you think, they have equal qualities. Congo being a bit bigger is going to be a bit louder, although as parrot's go, I believe the African species to be the quietest. Are you considering a older bird or a baby, All my grey's have been 2nd hand birds and I've had wonderful result's. Good Luck

Also wanted to add, congrats on your success with your too, that's great your having good results with feather growth.

Hi Megan and welcome to the family! Have a browse through the forum, maybe do a search on specific keywords, and above all, feel free to post any questions! We have an awesome bunch of people here who will be more than happy to share their experiences and give advice. Enjoy!