NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh vs Congo: a couples debate

FirstPenguin

So I've rehashed this and mentioned it before on a few other posts, but the debate of whether to get a Timneh or Congo Grey rages on. At this point we'll probably wait till sometime during the first half of 2011 to pull the trigger. Money, work, time, holiday travel, make it ill advised this year. So we're thinking of going with a breeder early next year.

So my girlfriend and I are both bird people, with one fid. The second fid would be "my fid" hopefully. She wants a Timneh, I want a Congo. I've always been attracted to larger more animated birds like cockatoos and macaws. We can never have a huge flock with our current situation and we both want a grey. My fear is if we go with a Timneh I'll get an itch for another bird later on. After spending time with a stubborn adventurous Senegal, the larger more contemplative Congo's are my current leaning.

A couple factors we're considering... We travel with our Sennie to visit family. Our sennie is a pro-traveler. We will be allowing full flight. We both have careers and rely on the other in a pinch to take care of the flock. more to come...

So any opinions about caring for greys as a couple, and of course any timneh vs congo commentary is welcomed. We've done a lot of reading but are always looking for anecdotal info. After spending time on this forum I really believe some of the usual Congo negatives are the result of poor rearing and improper fledging and clipping.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by FirstPenguin

I am by no means an expert and can only share my personal journey. I researched thoroughly and decided that a TAG would be best for me. However, in researching breeders, the breeder I was most impressed with only bred CAG's, so I purchased Echo. A year later, I purchased Thumper, another CAG from her. I was very worried about Thumper because he was the only egg from his clutch to hatch, so he was raised without siblings. I was concerned he would be a little neurotic. However, he is by far, my most outgoing bird. My two are polar opposites from each other. It's hard to believe they are even the same species, but I love them both. They are truly individuals. They have in one way or another dispelled every thing I've ever read about greys. You will fall in love with whatever you decide. Oh and Echo becomes completely excited when I pull out the travel cage, while Thumper hates it but deals with it. I completely agree with your comments about Congo negatives. The only stereotype I've found to be true is that both of mine dislike baths.

Edited by Buffy

I am by no means an expert and can only share my personal journey. I researched thoroughly and decided that a TAG would be best for me. However, in researching breeders, the breeder I was most impressed with only bred CAG's, so I purchased Echo. A year later, I purchased Thumper, another CAG from her. .

Thanks for the response it definitely helps. That is also a concern of mine which I've expressed elsewhere. The breeders we're most impressed with aren't in the area and some are CAG only.

I decided between cag and tag solely for the size of the bird I'm more inclined to have "a lot of grey" in a smaller package. If an appropriate rehome had come available while I was looking I would have been happy to get either, but given the choice from a great breeder (she had both at the same time) the smaller sized tag was more appealling

also influencing my decision in a small way was the fact that i've known of and heard about only cags that pluck no tags

you'll be happy with whichever bird you choose i'm sure. My husband also prefers the cag due to the brighter tail but it will be a non issue when Rita arrives

I have a CAG (Corky) a blue fronted amazon (Cricket) That travel with us. Corky has been all over the USA with us a number of times and I think she enjoys it becsuse she is close

to us all the time and she gets a lot of extra attention

Corky is not a plucker she is not afrade of new things and she likes people and will go to a lot of them the first time she see them.

I know this not always what you read about CAGs but I think it has to do alot in how you bring them up.

She has traveled in our motor home our vans my pick up truck and has stayed in hotels motels friends home and relitives homes also goes camping with us.

She will go anyplace with us and has never been away from us from the day we brought her home and that is almost 10 years.

When my husband and I were deciding on a Grey, we decided on a timneh because of the "stereotype" information given to us. We went back and forth about the benefits of a congo vs a timneh, and really fought about it! I also have always been attracted to larger birds such as 'toos and Macaws, but my husband was easily intimidated by them, and wanted something smaller. I wanted a bird that was going to begin vocalizing early, especially because we got Sully at three months old. He didn't care either way, but just wanted a bird with the ability to speak and the intelligence to figure out bird puzzles, etc.

Then there was the look. I'll be honest, the light grey head of an adult congo coupled with the yellowish eyes, kind of intimidated me... but they were beautiful. It was a battle back and forth for awhile.

Then, Sully found US. I happened to come across the website for our breeder by accident. I had hit the wrong link on google images, and was re-directed to her website, and saw her contact info. I contacted her a few minutes later about pricing, and she said that someone had JUST (like 2 minutes before I called) backed out on Sully, and that he was available. I knew he was the one meant for us. He just happened to be the Timneh, which wasn't the size I wanted at first, but he fits in really well! And we can't imagine life without him!

The only thing I can suggest, is when you begin looking for your bird, if you can meet the birds first, I would say let the bird choose you. Go look at Congos and Timnehs, and just see what bird sticks out to you. You just know when you've met your bird :) If you can't meet them, as we couldn't with Sully, perhaps going and volunteering at a rescue or a bird fair to interact with both types may be an option? We were not impressed with any breeders around our way either. We flew Sully in from Georgia!

Thanks for all the responses.

Ray P: It's good to hear about a CAG who travels. We got our Sennie in August 2009 and my girlfriends family usually gets together over labor day weekend about about two hours away. This was something we hadn't thought much about since it was such a yearly habit for her. So we just took her with and have been going back and forth with her ever since. This isn't just a car ride, it often involves riding commuter rail in her carrier. She handles it like a pro.

JDS567: Looks aren't as important as size is. My GF prefers smaller and I want larger because we have all the compact flying mischief we need in our sennie. My dad raised Newfoundlands when I was a kid so I guess no matter what kind of animal I'm dealing with, I lean towards the bigger ones. We found Evie a week before my GFs birthday, she too was the last of her clutch. I told her she could have this Senegal I found or something with wrapping paper on it, most likely a nintendo wii. The picture did her in.

We met a Timneh recently at a bird store that, had the money been in our pocket, would have come home with us. Not that we are a fan of buying from a bird shop. We really do want to go visit breeders but we're still stuck on getting a bird that is unclipped from the start. So we're just starting to write local breeders to see if they'll even consider selling a grey unclipped. The breeders we like the most so far (that advertise this stuff) are in places like texas, california, and south of the mason dixon line.

Edited by FirstPenguin

No advice on TAG's here, I know absolutely nothing about them other than they are not quite as large as CAG's, have a different color tail and different color beak. Wow, what great help I am. I have 2 CAG's however, and I've found that they are individual's just like people are. There may be disadvantages to one breed over another, but there are also disadvantages to people, some are needy, neurotic, intelligent, demanding, aloof, etc., etc., etc. Wait, I just described my human children. Visit with several different birds, let them choose you and don't get wrapped up in the "breed." Be the best parront you can be and love them like there's no tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice. Quick update if you're interested. We're now both somewhat more open to either subspecies. However, my GF is still against shipping a bird. She's against ever putting a young bird through the ordeal, period, and we both would like to visit more than once before bringing a fid home so something more local would be ideal. Like some of you, that greatly limits our options. I found a CAG breeder who doesn't clip located within 2 hours that we like based on a few emails. This would make more than one weekend visit possible. We were hoping a breeder within an hour of us who breeds both sub-species would be open to not clipping. They wrote back saying they wouldn't, citing experience as an LVT seeing broken beaks and hearing about lost birds, and that I can let the feathers grow back. Which I respect their opinion, but the whole point is your fid fledges and grows up right.

You can talk to the breeder about letting the bird fledge before clipping, then just a long clip for safety. My amazon was long clipped at the breeders instance and he can still fly across the room. My personal preference would have been no clipping, but I wasn't involved in this decision, I'm just the lucky recipient of this precious little guy. Dixie was clipped when I got her, but has since become fully flighted, as are all of the others. If shipping is not an option for you your choices may be very limited.

Hello there. I own 2 timnehs, and 1 congo, all of which are loving affectionate parrot's. Here are a few of my observations with my grey's...My congo is much louder then the timnehs, a bit more stubborn, but a bit more clownish in her play and antic's. My Timneh Granny who I've had for 10 yrs is the best talker, and has taught my Congo much of her extensive vocab. My congo is more prone to making annoying sounds and picking up these sounds and making noise with much gusto. My other timneh is new to us we've only had her 4 wks, but I notice she doesn't talk, but like the congo is keen to many household sounds. All my grey's are excellent mimic's that tend to learn from each other. I've noticed my new timneh this morning is trying to imitate my little green cheek conure, and she's only been around her for a few day's now. Grey's dont miss a beat, and are extremely perceptive of the environment.

My suggestion as others here have mentioned is to meet both Timneh and Congo...forget about size and look's and go with the individual that seems to be the best match for you and your girl. All my greys have been 2nd hand parrot's, and all are very individual in personality...Good luck in finding the perfect match

Hi, not much to add as others have offered great advice! I have both a tag and a cag. Their personalities are as differents as night and day. My tag is small, not afraid of much, sweet in her own way, but NO way would she be a cuddler or a biter. My cag is moody as can be. She will bite on occasion, but I attribute that to ME not watching her body language when I am in a hurry or distracted. She is louder than the tag with her voice, but LOVES to cuddle and be petted until she falls asleep. :)

There really are no stereo-types, just personalities. The CAG is a beautiful bird with their bright red tail, a bit clumsier, but tags are sweet and quick, and mine flies beautifully! Whatever you choose, you will fall in love with them....however if you really have your heart set on a LARGER bird, you may want a cag.

Thanks for all the input. Just to clarify I'm not interested in looks. I think the TAGs and CAGs are beautiful in their own way. TAGs having an almost gothic appearance. It's never been a concern. As I started before I like the larger cuddly birds with personality, but am not in a situation where I would have space or the distance from my neighbors to have a macaw or cockatoo. In addition, the contemplative personality really attracts me to the Greys. That look they have about them, that instantly tells you they're thinking, weighing options, and calculating their next move.

On to the update. This is going to be a long process since we're waiting several months at least. I've located one or two more semi-local breeders that are willing to go un-clipped. PLUS, my girlfriend has finally caved on the shipping issue for the moment. Her concern has always been that being shipped through the airline would be a traumatic experience for a young bird. I finally pointed out that 2 strange people showing up, putting them in a carrier and then driving so-many hours could be equally stressful. Our sweet little sennie got picked up, then driven through torrential rains. The sound of the rain on the roof of the car must have been quite a fright. It's been helpful to be able to vet breeders who breed both. Still, the more local we go, the more times we can visit the breeder before bringing a fid home, which of course eases the transition.

Its funny to hear about how cuddly some of your Congos are and how some Timnehs aren't. All the anecdotes on here have helped us (especially my GF) to be open to either subspecies. Thanks.