NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How do I convince Echo that she can fly and more importantly land?

Buffy

Echo has been fully flighted for over two months now. However, except for one time, she has only flown when spooked. The one time she flew for fun, I was so excited, and thought this is just the beginning! However, I'm beginning to believe she was spooked that time as well and I just didn't see what spooked her. I asked the bird breeder to leave my 6 month old, Thumper, in what she called a 'baby cut' instead of a full cut. He is so confident and whenever he needs attention he flys to me. I love it that he will just come to me when he wants. Echo very verbally lets me know when she needs attention, but despite my efforts, she refuses to budge until I come get her. I would love for her to realize that she can just come to me and land on me as expertly as Thumper does. (He never misses my shoulder) Any suggestions on how I can help Echo with this, or should I just leave her be and let her decide in her own time?

She probably needs to build up her chest muscles before she can fly if she has been grounded so far, they don't just pick up and fly since greys tend to be heavy bodied birds and they need those muscles to be able to lift their body for flight, try holding her on your arm and moving her slowly up and down to make her flap her wings. I can sympathize with having a bird who is flighted but only takes flight when spooked as my sun conure is that way, I used to clip her when she was young but not for several years now and she won't fly to me but if spooked she will take off like a light.