NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Boredom...

UKIkarus

Hi folks,

Just wondering what kind of toys or other objects can be used as a means of keeping greys occupied when inside the cage, our grey "Tia" has been let out alot more recently though unfortunatey every toy we have got her in the past has been destroyed.

The problem is since she has no toys in the cage at the moment, she keeps swinging from the top and grabbing her own main flight feathers.

After which they are all frayed and broken and wont go back into place, she then gets annoyed at them and bites the ends off leaving her unable to fly properly and having a very messy rear end covered in broken feathers.

This has happened before and it took quite some time for them to regrow, when they did however she was circuiting the room several times haha.

Basically needing some suggestions for toys or items which may keep her occupied and give her less reason to bite on her feathers, she is getting alot better and keeps trying to fly to me but ends up landing on the other end of the sofa in a fluffy pile. :rolleyes:

I have several piccies now since i recently got a new camera and can show the extent of the damage, it really is quite upsetting to see her demolishing her own feathers like this. :(

Greys should have several toys at one time in their cage to play with and please take a look in the toys and playstands room for ideas of things you can make from household items but they do love to destroy things and that is why we usually have a multitude of toys to rotate in and out of their cage so they don't get bored.

You can go to a dollar store or arts and crafts stores and pick up oddly shaped wooden blocks which you can string together. It'll take time for your bird to destroy it but eventually, it happens. As has been said, a medium to large cow bell is very good because greys have mock fights and expend a lot of energy fighting with the bell. They also ease frustrations. You can go to the supermarket, go to pet section, look for the tiny leather bones with knots at either end. Make sure they're white. Soak in water until they're pliable and give him that.

African Grey means----------destroy

Destroy means--------------African Grey

Mine loves baby links. I got a big package and hung them up in her cage with wooden rings from a craft store. It wasn't meant to be used as a swing, but she does anyway! I also made her a big toy from some left over little rattles from a destroyed toy, some SS wire, and some acrylic beads. Connected it to one of those key ring holders and voila, a brand new toy.

Just remember you don't have to spend a lot of money on bird toys. Crumpled news paper "bows" are super fun for shredding and empty soda can boxes make great little places to hide and tear apart. Just be creative. Your bird doesn't know the difference between something that cost $20 or something that cost 50 cents as long as it's fun and safe!

While you're waiting to go out and buy some new toys, immediately go to your pantry and pull out a cereal box. Take the liner out and put the box in the cage or play area. Instant toy. For even more fun, throw some of the cereal in the box before it gets chewed up. Any colorful food box suitable. Try a box of pasta - just remove any plastic beforehand.

Soda bottles with some nuts inside. Bottle caps. Shoelaces. Strips of leather. Stuff.

Greys love shiny, colorful magazines to tear apart. Anything that can be shredded is fair game. Go out to the yard and get a few colorful leaves and a stick or two to shred.

The message here is you don't have to be extravagant for toys. It's more important to have something to shred apart than themselves.