NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Update on Cody

Codys Mom

we went to vet at 3pm and he did the usual blood test and fecal exam then he took xrays of Cody's leg , Cody does not have a birth defect his leg was broke in the nest somehow , the breeder told me she did not remove the babies , they were 3 in his clutch until they were around 4 weeks old why she waited so long is a good question my vet wanted to know that answer to , I have no answer to that one , so his leg was broke and it has healed crooked and out of line

My vet said he could rebrake it but he highly recomended leaving as is , it would be a very high risk surgery if he was to do it and he gave me a good 6 or 7 reasons why not to do surgery on him , at least we know it is not a birth defect

he took 2 sets of xrays and you could see where the break was and how it healed

Good news is other then all of that Cody is a good healthy boy , he weighed in at 430 grams which my vet was very happy about and all his tests came back excellent :)

he said give him a little extra calcium for his bones and highly suggested giving him some Red Palm Oil about 3 times a week , his feather do look a little raggedy and me and hubby went to the bird store this evening and bought Cody his new cage , I will take some pics tomorrow and post them , he now has a half dome , half square with playtop cage , it's 42 inches wide so he should have plenty of room to move around in and I ordered a Squawters perch for him tonight plus some palm oil , I think he loves his new cage he was climbing all over it and it only took hubby 3 hours :( to put it together :(

I will post some pics tomorrow heading for bed it's been a very long day here

Well at least you know now that it is not a birth defect but I am not at all surprised that the vet recommended leaving it as it is, surgery would be risky, more than you want to put him or yourself thru and he will adapt to his turned wrong foot with time, he really doesn't know he is any different from any other bird he has had the break since he was too young to stand. So glad to hear he is healthy and robust and thanks for taking the time to update us on his vet visit, looking forward to hearing lots more about him and maybe some more pics.