NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just a couple of CAG questions

Guest saki

My uncle has a 14 yr old CAG that he has had for a little over a year.

This bird is fairly well tempered and does a lot of whistling but doesn't speak a word. I don't know if the previous owners (an old couple) didn't talk to him at all or what but he just doesn't talk.

My uncle now has the opportunity to adopt a 2 yr old CAG that talks like a champ. He wanted me to post the question, if he ends up adopting the bird that talks, will the fact that his current bird doesn't speak at all have any negative effect on the talking bird? I know they pick things up from each other and thought if anything it would work the other way around and his old bird would learn things from the young talkative bird.

Second question is, about how well they will get along. He doesn't want to have birds that hate each other. The CAG he currently has comes in contact with a cockatoo every know and then and seems to do fine other than a little jealousy. If he is ok with one bird, will he be ok with any bird? Do the same kinds of birds tend to get along better with each other?

Any feed back you all have would be outstanding. Thanks

Guest javacrypto

Most likely that 2YO won't stop talking, and who knows, he may even persuade the 14YO to learn a word to 2 :). As long as your uncle keeps talking to him he will probably keep talking. With parrots, nothing is certain - lol - but it's likely.

As for whether or not they get along, that will be up to them. Some choose to and some choose not to. Keeping them apart and letting them approach each other on their own without intervention (ie, don't force the issue, let them decide from a safe distance so the fight-or-flight thing doesn't come into play and complicate matters) would be how I would handle their introduction. Also, making sure that the 14YO is always the first greeted, fed, etc. will help him to feel less threatened. At least, that's how it's always been among my own parrots...

I will be interested to hear how it all works out and hope you stay in touch to let us know :).

Well my uncle has had the new bird for about a week now and so far so good. He is an extremely smart bird who has allready picked up 3 new phrases since he got him. The 14yo CAG seems to be doing ok with the new addition. My Uncle says that he is being a little more rowdy than usuall but nothing too bad. I don't think he has put them together yet but I am sure that will come with time. I will keep you posted.

Guest javacrypto

Well that sounds good so far, doesn't it! :) Yes, I will watch for updates,

I hope it all works out for them!