NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Will A Rehome Grey Be More Likely To Pick A Particular Gender???

FirstPenguin

Hi Grey Forum,

As I expressed in my introduction, my girlfriend and I are considering adding a grey to our current flock of two humans and one Senegal fid. Our current fid is bonded to my girlfriend and we want our grey to bond to me. I know this might sound like a beginners mistake thinking that such a thing could be controlled. My theory is that since so many rehomes are the result of a bird bonding to someone that doesn't want the attention a rehome that has displayed a gender preference will be very unlikely to bond to my girlfriend. I realize this varies between the CAG and TAG so while comments on both are welcome (I personally would adopt either) I should mention that we are focused on getting a Timneh. Alone neither of us could give the proper care a bird needs with our jobs but as a team we do a pretty good job. So, my girlfriend needs to be comfortable with this bird. After handling and reading about both kinds she feels more comfortable with the TAGs. So Timneh it is.

So, could a rehome that bonded previously to a man switch to a women in it's new forever home? What if anything can be done to steer a new or rehomed bird towards a particular person. We have accepted the possibility that a second bird could bond to the same person and we would never rehome. We're that crazy bird couple to our friends. I introduced my girlfriend to birds, and in just under two years we are equally crazy about it. The only difference being the birds we lean towards vary in size. She wants smaller, I want medium to larger birds. Thanks for reading, and thanks for your thoughts in advance.

There are many many reasons a person will re-home a bird and you are aware that there are less than honest people out there that will tell you exactly what you want to hear to get rid of their bird. Most re-homed birds come with a lot of baggage and you will need to be prepared for all of it. Many times a bird will pick you as his/her favorite human no matter how it was planned the best thing to do in my opinion is for both of you to work with the bird equally and help it to socalize with you both. That way you can all enjoy each other you should start working with the senagel as well and soon you could be handleing and enjoying his company too.

Karen

A lot of re-homes occur because one of the house members doesn't like birds the bird in question, which usually ends up in " The bird goes or I go". Another situation, is noise factor or can no longer have pets because of moving, death, etc... It doesn't matter to who [sex] the Grey was bonded to. We have abused birds who still bond to the same gender as who abused them... Thanks Jay d

Thanks for your input. I'm wired fairly logically and had a feeling that what I was thinking wouldn't completely hold water but for a bit there it made sense to me. No work with our Sennie required. We can pass our Sennie back and forth all day, sometimes on her back. I could go on and on about how well adjusted our Sennie is. We travel with her quite a bit and I'll leave with her for a few days at a time and she's fine. However, if there is an agreeable dark haired female there she'll cozy right up to them after a little while. So no worries there. May need to rethink our approach to getting a grey.

The others have given great comments.

The best advice I can you, is to go and visit each bird you "Think" you may wish to re-home and see how they interact with both of you. It will give you some insight as to whether they completely hate one sex or they other or are a little more social with both sexes, but will still lean toward one sex as the preferred.

As others said, you just don't know what baggage the bird may carry. The only way to know just a minuscule insight to the bird is to visit, if it screams at one sex, but not the other, walk away or accept that only one MAY have any interaction with that bird. This is just a suggestion. With a re-home, you only see the tip of the iceberg when visiting.

The best re-home scenario would be a bird that is very well socialized, likes people and for some extenuating reasons out of the present owners control, they must re-home their much loved bird.