NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feeding Baby Question??

Poshey22

when u hand feeding the baby grays how do u start them to start eating seed and getting used to it to ween them off feeding with syringe??? do u just leave a bowl in the nursery with seed mix so they take to it or what do u have to do?? the baby grays are 4 weeks old

Hi Poshey, the breeder will introduce the appropriate food items as the baby grey ages. Most offer them what is called abundance weaning and it makes for a well rounded grey used to many different types of foods once they are ready to go home. You should ask your breeder how they handle this. :)

Tinaboom - is there anything wrong in understandig how your bird has been cared for before you got it? I have read about how to raise the little ones as well, not because i want to do it, but because i like to understand og know about different things that relate to my pets. Nothing is ever wrong in asking, i think you comment is a bit harsh.

You should not be touching any birds that are 4 weeks old if you dont know what you are doing. They will end up dead
This was also stated:

"The baby should be fully weaned before you can take the bird home thats usually when there 12 weeks so you wont have to worry about that side of things."

In response to both of these questions, There is no set age at which a baby is guarantied to be weaned. All questions deserve the best possible answer's, regardless of motive, that's why were here. The majority of the forum members are against hand-feeding by a novice, but jf and when this occurs, were here to offer all our support.

Poshey22 question was very good. Dan's reply was on the spot, as was Roseannas. You'd be surprised what you can learn on this forum with positive responses...

Thanks

Jay d

Edited by Jayd

Tinaboom - is there anything wrong in understandig how your bird has been cared for before you got it? I have read about how to raise the little ones as well, not because i want to do it, but because i like to understand og know about different things that relate to my pets. Nothing is ever wrong in asking, i think you comment is a bit harsh.

Where was I harsh I just said that the baby would be weaned and she wouldn't have to worry about that side of it. If the person in question wants to learn that side of it then good for her I was simply stating that when u picked your bird home they are 12 weeks and are weaned I see nothing harsh about that at all

Actually not all birds are weaned at 12 weeks, some require longer time. Like my own baby, she was weaned when i got her home, but she stepped back to handfeeding in the stress of the moving to a new home, so suddenly i had to handfeed and wean her again, although i bought her as a weaned baby.

No mather if the bird is weaned or not when you get it at home, having some background knowledge and and a bit of understanding about how to raise baby birds can never do any harm. That is why I said your comment was a bit harsh, maybe that was just how I read it - but noone should be told not to worry, when they ask a question to gain knowledge about their pets - noone could ever know enough on that subject.

Never mind - it was not an attack on you ;)

Edited by Roseanna

Jayd it's illegal to sell a bird un weaned in the uk and breeders will not let them go until there at least 12 weeks old that's why I said 12 weeks

If you'd like to check through the posts and thread, you'd be surprised at how many "Breeders" are selling "Un-weaned " baby's in the UK right now, I'm coaching 3.....The way you wrote your reply is a "blanket statement, 12 weeks!" We have many Grey's on this forum receiving formula over 20 weeks old. Most Grey's are not comepletly fledged at 12 weeks. Roseanna inquire was a good one, the same as your's

Thank you...

Jay d

im just asking really nothing got to do with the breeder just trying to learn all about them from small to big

And it's wonderful that you wish to learn all about your baby grey, what to feed it when you get it home and how to make that transition as smooth as possible. :)

Each breeder is a little different in how and what they feed their baby greys or other species once they can safely consume a non-liquid diet. The breeders I have worked with offer a little various fruits and veggies like peaches, plums, grapes, apricots, broccoli, kale, dandelion, carrots, yams etc. to get them used to a plethora of colors and textures. They also offer items like 15 bean mixes, with some oat groats, wild rice, flax seed etc, fully cooked along with pellets of various types, a little seed and nuts.

You can find a ton of information in our nursery and food rooms that many members have posted over the years.

When I brought my TAG home at 16 weeks, she was use to many different foods. Her Breeder introduced many different foods and always keeps her babies until they have been eating only food, other than formula, at least a week if not more. Mille sent me home with oodles of pellets and foods as well as a packet of all kind of information about her greys. The best information you can get about your baby grey is its breeder. I find that a really caring and loving breeder will talk your ear off about greys if you let them. I still talk to Ana Grey's breeder even though she is over 75 years old and is a retired grey breeder. I have had Ana Grey for 2 1/2 years and has been a real joy as she was already well socialized before I even met her.

• 1 month later...

gosh, they are far to young to give seed, when i start weening my babies, i actually chew the seeds and feed them from my mouth, . i know that might sound revolting, but it works like magic, i usually start that at 8 weeks while still giving them their poridge, they luv it. dont be in such a hurry to get them to grow up!!