NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Harness training

Barbara2

I so appreciate the approach you are taking with your harness training. It has to be really hard to stop while you are being successful, but I do believe that is the key to building trust through quiet communication and rewards. I have really enjoyed these posts. I look forward to many harness adventures in the spring when you get out and about.

I so appreciate the approach you are taking with your harness training. It has to be really hard to stop while you are being successful, but I do believe that is the key to building trust through quiet communication and rewards. I have really enjoyed these posts. I look forward to many harness adventures in the spring when you get out and about.

Thank you! I'm really enjoying this. It's very brief, less than 5 minutes a day. But I think it is part of the bonding experience. I'm doing something that isn't comfortable for him but he gets rewarded with lots of loving touches (since I haven't yet found a snack that he likes) and I don't press it too far. I look forward to being able to take him to visit school children and senior citizens.

I never found a food treat to encourage ours either, but isn't it lovely when he responds to love and devotion? I don't think I have ever found anything else in life nearly as rewarding as spending months with a little guy who would willingly step up for me but then would lean toward his cage and ask plaintively "wanna go back?" Then after building his trust came the day he leaned away from the cage, toward me waving his little foot at me and saying "wanna come out?" There will come the day when Neo finds the delights of getting into his harness and meeting new people and regaling them with his personality that he is going to go get the harness and bring it to you to ask for more.

Today marks the milestone day when I got the harness all the way on. I got both wings in and I was tightening the harness on Neo when he started getting excited (and not in a good way) so I immediately took it off hence no picture. But I felt really good about it!

Thanks Dan! I want to point out that it has taken 3 weeks to get to this point and this is with a now five month old baby. Little, tiny steps is definitely the way to go. Also, progress first started when I began using the wing loop and slipping that over his head and then gradually making the loop smaller and smaller. Just pointing that out for anyone who is getting ready to start harness training.