NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Your African Grey Opinion

Arjadaga

Still looking into greys, I have some questions. What are the con(s) of your grey? (Be honest) What are the pros of your grey? Personal opinions are welcome. Also, while your grey was growing up, was there anything that you were glad you taught your grey? Anything that you wish you had taught your grey while he/she was growing up?

Cons- I wish mine was more cuddly and I wish I could love on him more than he lets me now (I can really only scratch his head when he wants me to). I really want to be able to get a dang harness on him:) But I adopted him when he was already 2yrs. Pros- he always keeps us entertained and loves to be where we are either on a perch or on my shoulder, we or I am never lonely. We have had him for 2yrs now and we still laugh everyday about things he does or stuff that comes out of his beak.

I am going to approach this from owning a Grey since he was 6 weeks old and bringing him home at 15 weeks. If you are planning on adopting an older Grey, it all depends on his previous experience and what baggage he brings with him.

You can count any of the below as pro's or cons based on what you expect and will put up with.

They are highly intelligent and fast learners.

Can learn step-up shortly and easily. Most already know it from the breeders.

Start Harness training as early as possible, it will make things easier down the road. I am very glad I started him basically the week I brought him home

They throw food.

Up to age 6 months they are fairly compliant like a baby.

They Poop wherever they are.

They will bite, sometimes just pressure, sometimes a blood drawing bite.

After 6 months they start realizing they have a will of their own and start trying to communicate it by refusing things like step-ups and do so mainly by body language

They throw food.

year one to two they continue testing and growing in the knowledge, training, vocalizations and speech.

They poop wherever they are.

Year two to three many just go nuts and try to rule the house.

They throw food.

Year 3 to 4 they start deciding they need to act like an adult member of the flock. They are becoming more independent to the point of not wanting cuddles too often if at all, less head scratches and are happy to perch themselves in a favorite spot in whatever room and just chill with the gang.

They throw food and poop wherever they are, did I mention this previously. :P :p :P

I taught my grey to turn the kitchen water off.... he graduated to turning it on as well and walking away, which then assured him I or my wife would come to turn it off as he refused and then he got what he wanted .... our closeness and attention. :P

I honestly cannot think of anything I taught him, that I regret though. They are each individuals and have their own preferences and habits that come out as they age and mature.

Edited by danmcq