NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First tricks?

JDS5607

Hi everybody!

As you all know, Sully has been as absorbant as a sponge lately, and since I finished classes last week I wanted to begin training him to do simple tricks. Well, to my AMAZMENT, Mr. Sullivan picked up the "touch the stick" trick within 2 minutes. I'm unbelievably proud of him... but I had NO clue he would pick it up that quick!

He's been hitting those "testing" moments where he knows he isn't supposed to do something, but he does it, looks at me, and does it again. As cute as it is, I think re-directing his negative behavior may be the trick to a better-listening Sully.

Can y'all share the first couple of tricks you taught your fids? Also, can you suggest treats for him when he does a good trick? I gave him sunflower seeds today, but he is a SLLLOOOOOWWWW eater, and I had trouble getting him back on track after he took his time eating the ONE sunflower seed...and I want something I can give him tiny pieces of. I was thinking maybe rice krispies (no sugar).

Thanks, as always, y'all are the best!! <3

Let's do this in a respectful manner please. No expert, my way is the only way, no going off topic, just fun suggestions to help Jenn who was gracious to ask for some advice, and for us to share OUr experiences with our own birds. :)

I am very much interested in the experiences of others who have successfully trained their grey to wear the aviator harness. I watched the video and I'm afraid to say that I think he made it look too easy. I started with step one with Neo today and he didn't even like me touching his wings, much less lifting them. I'm thinking I need to break the training down even more than he did and start just with the head which Neo does like me to touch. Anybody else have success/not-so-successful experiences?

I bought Sully the harness that is similar to the aviator, but goes around the neck, through the wings and around the back and chest.. (I know it sounds the same, but it's not! lol)

Anyway, Sully ends up rolling over and biting the thing... it was NOT successful at all!

Do they make an ankle harness? Kind of like they do for training hawks and such? I just don't think Sully is the type to like anything that goes over the chest or under his wings!

Oh- Good luck Barbara! I hope you have more luck with the harness next time you try!

I am very much interested in the experiences of others who have successfully trained their grey to wear the aviator harness. I watched the video and I'm afraid to say that I think he made it look too easy. I started with step one with Neo today and he didn't even like me touching his wings, much less lifting them. I'm thinking I need to break the training down even more than he did and start just with the head which Neo does like me to touch. Anybody else have success/not-so-successful experiences?

Hi Barbara - Yes, the video does make it look very easy, but you need to understand that there was a lot of time lapse in between the steps of familiarizing his Macaw with all the actions involved to get the bird used to the necessary body parts that must be touched and moved to successfully get the harness on.

You are on the right path. I had to introduce the harness to Dayo VERY SLOWLY as you describe. First, just showing it to him, rubbing it gentle on his neck, back, and wings. Then a few times each day just practicing getting it over his head and back off in a few seconds with no stress to him. As I was doing this, I was also doing as the video showed of trying to gentle raise a wing etc. He was more uncomfortable with that than anything and it took a few weeks to get the harness completely on the first time.

One thing to note on Macaws, they are for the most part a very laid back bird compared to a grey. Even though you may think the opposite due to their size, they are known in many circles as the "Puppy Dog" of the parrot world due to their personality traits. Thus the macaw in the video not showing all the freaked out responses you will see in a grey. They are very cautious, nervous and do not like change much.

So just take your time, try to stay very calm and use a happy voice in a soft tone and a favorite treat helps tons in getting a harness portion off when they are freaking out to keep their beak and mind busy while you quickly remove it. :)

• Haha 1

I bought Sully the harness that is similar to the aviator, but goes around the neck, through the wings and around the back and chest.. (I know it sounds the same, but it's not! lol)Anyway, Sully ends up rolling over and biting the thing... it was NOT successful at all! Do they make an ankle harness? Kind of like they do for training hawks and such? I just don't think Sully is the type to like anything that goes over the chest or under his wings!

I understand the the "Other Harness". :)

You will need to go through a weeks long process in baby steps getting your grey used to the harness, it's feel against the body and also your necessary handling of the wings etc.

Yes, Dayo did a few 3 stooges "Curly" sessions on the floor with the harness on as well. It took some caution and trying to stay calm to get it off of him without receiving sever bites. I found the most successful way of accomplishing the removal, was using a favorite treat to keep his beak busy while I removed the harness.

I also used a treat as a "Lure" to get him to put his head through the harness which worked out very well and kept his attention more focused on chomping that peanut rather than paying attention to what I was doing to his body as I placed the harness on or removed it in reverse order.

Your doing good. I know of a few owners that became so stressed of their birds fighting the harness after it was on, that they actually cut it off with scissors quickly! They became more freaked out than their birds and just added stress to the situation. :P

So go slow, gentle and only leave it on for a brief minute or until your see your grey is getting very uncomfortable and remove it. The goal is to make it an enjoyable experience as possible. :)

A member (LuvParrots - Janet) had an Anklet made by a falconeer of leather. It was custom made by them locally and specifically for her bird. It will only work on a small bird like a tag and it does not have the elasticity such as a flying harness to absorb the shock if they decide to try and fly off. Janet would be more than happy to tell you morre about that I'm sure. :)

Edited by danmcq

The good thing right now is that time is in my side. I won't be trying to take him out until it warms up in the spring. He's 4 months old now so I'm not planning on visiting any classrooms until he's older and more confident. Right now I have the harness laying in his play area on top of his cage so he just gets used to it being around. With the training I'm going to begin with running my hand over his eyes like it shows in the video. That's it. I'm not going any further until we get that down. I plan on taking BABY, baby steps.