NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First tricks?

JDS5607

Hi everybody!

As you all know, Sully has been as absorbant as a sponge lately, and since I finished classes last week I wanted to begin training him to do simple tricks. Well, to my AMAZMENT, Mr. Sullivan picked up the "touch the stick" trick within 2 minutes. I'm unbelievably proud of him... but I had NO clue he would pick it up that quick!

He's been hitting those "testing" moments where he knows he isn't supposed to do something, but he does it, looks at me, and does it again. As cute as it is, I think re-directing his negative behavior may be the trick to a better-listening Sully.

Can y'all share the first couple of tricks you taught your fids? Also, can you suggest treats for him when he does a good trick? I gave him sunflower seeds today, but he is a SLLLOOOOOWWWW eater, and I had trouble getting him back on track after he took his time eating the ONE sunflower seed...and I want something I can give him tiny pieces of. I was thinking maybe rice krispies (no sugar).

Thanks, as always, y'all are the best!! <3

Thank you, that's Grey't, you can try Cheerio's. When training, you need also to work on their "attention span", you can do this by "singing", sing the same song each time, then when you start training, start with a few word from there song...Some of the tricks we teach our Grey's are the hand shake, turn around, bob head to music[dance] basketball, roll a ball [spocks favorite]flop upside down while on finger etc....

Edited by Jayd

What kind of tricks are you talking about? Are you comparing what you've seen some other species of parrot do? Some species of parrots like being taught to do tricks such as ringneck parakeets. Other species don't. Greys aren't known to take to different tricks or performing very well especially on que. As they get older they'll do things on their own which you'll find quite amusing and you'll be amazed at their talent. Aloof type birds aren't very trainable as far as tricks go. Cockatoos which aren't aloof take to doing tricks much more so than greys. It all depends on the species.

Dave, perhaps "tricks" isn't the term I want to use... I don't know, maybe more of commands? (well, requests...Lord knows you can't "command" a grey to do anything :) )

I don't know what I want to do, I just want to focus his attention on positive things, and perhaps give us something we enjoy doing together. He very much enjoyed learning to touch the stick today.. and the shrieking of myself saying "good boy sully-man!!!" and petting him and trying to fumble with my video camera to capture it!

Commands are totally different than tricks and you have a much better chance at success. You can train a grey to fly to you. You can train a grey to ask for treats or food. You can train a grey to say *good bye* when you're leaving and * how ya doing or hi there sweetie * when you come home. There's other logical things that you can do but the many intricate *tricks* they do are usually done when they wanna do them and usually it's them that decides when they wanna do it and where they wanna do it and most of the time they're doing them alone. In general, greys are very obstinent birds as they get older. The difference between baby greys and adolescent greys to adults greys is huge. Favorite treat--greys and other parrots like different nuts. They're natural, taste good and they definitely keep the bird's attention focused on who's giving them. Nuts can be broken up into tiny bits. They can be eaten quicker than sunflower seeds which require the bird to split it open before the contents can be eaten.

Dave- Grey't suggestions! Thanks!

Jayd- I youtubed it before I got Sully, and was amazed at einstein.. the one who does all the tricks and talks on command! If sully can do just one word he will say upon cue, I'll be ecstatic! But I'm only expecting him to love me unconditionally forever and always. Not too much, right? ;)

Dave- Grey't suggestions! Thanks!

Jayd- I youtubed it before I got Sully, and was amazed at einstein.. the one who does all the tricks and talks on command! If sully can do just one word he will say upon cue, I'll be ecstatic! But I'm only expecting him to love me unconditionally forever and always. Not too much, right? ;)

You'll do it, and more... Spock and Joey both will say: Gimme a kiss, then make a Kissie sound then after you kiss them, they say, I love you.. Or if you say. I love you, the'll make a kissie sound, the love list goes on and on, just wait.....Thanks Jayd

One thing to note on birds shown doing tricks like Einstein or what you see at zoo shows etc. Unfortunately, they limit their food intake and those birds are hungry, never mnd the fact that they offer treats that are their favorite on top of being hungry. I don't and hopefully no other parrot or other critter owner would practice limiting food to get a "Pet" to do what they want it to and when they want it to.

As you have noted in Sully, they love a true excited and heartfelt "Good Boy/girl" with a huge smile. It gives them the best reward of all, namely the sense of accomplishment.

The others have all given great comments as well.

One thing to note on birds shown doing tricks like Einstein or what you see at zoo shows etc. Unfortunately, they limit their food intake and those birds are hungry, never mnd the fact that they offer treats that are their favorite on top of being hungry. I don't and hopefully no other parrot or other critter owner would practice limiting food to get a "Pet" to do what they want it to and when they want it to.

I did not know that Dan, that really is bordering on cruel.

Who said anything about you Jay?

I thought I was pretty clear in the "Trainers" I was commenting on and their starvation techniques. If somehow you thought I had included you in that "Group", I want to make clear I wasn't.

We who do train our birds, do so with tons of positive feedback and most times after you have received the behavior you are looking for, they will repeat it over and over at different times just to get the praise and good boys. :)

Dan and every one else, I'm sorry when ever I feel I have to prove my self. Your post reads besides shows etc:"I don't and hopefully no other parrot or other critter owner would practice limiting food to get a "Pet" to do what they want it to and when they want it to.".This includes me and every one....

Thank You Jay d

Here's a reply I got from one of the Einsteins: I asked if they used Hunger to get Einstein to preform...

We absolutely do not! You may be confusing our Einstein with the other African Grey who performed on Animal Planet Pet Stars a few years ago. That same parrot (also named "Einstein") does shows at the Knoxville Tennessee Zoo. I don't know what their practice is. However, I can assure you that Einstein is our pet and talks freely. She does know 5 things on Que and may perform them if she "feels like it", empty crop or not.

For more info read this blog entry http://einsteinparrot.blogspot.com/

Jay - I WAS talking about the Einstein that performs on animal planet and the one most are referencing when using that name in relation to well known parrots:

The Einstein you reference is a grey owner by an individual and not universally known.

Thus my reference to Zoo's and Einstein in the same sentence.

I am still confused why you have taken this personally. I was referring to professional trainers and their techniques, not home bodies offering their pets a treat for doing a good job.

I am not sure how you got off on to this other Einstein.....

Lets get back on track.

Edited by danmcq

The one thing I taught Ana Grey was to come to me. When Ana Grey wants to know where I am she calls out. I just started answering "Come here." Because our greys really do want to be with us (most of the time) when she flew to me I would give her a nut (almond/pecan) and a scratch on the head. She usually now comes when I call her, if she doesn't I assume she is upto no good!!!!!!

Why was Einstein mentioned? It's because another poster in this thread brought up the well known Einstein. That Einstein is a professionally trained grey who tours and is shown as a talented bird who's able to do unusual things. The woman shown with Einstein isn't even the owner. She's a professional bird handler. The other Einstein isn't trained to do these types of things. The owner of that bird isn't a trainer. The bird is constantly put on You Tube because of it's amazing talking abilities. Never tricks, just talking. I've been on her subscription list for 3 years. But just to be confrontational, you just couldn't resist the opportunity to ask her about how she treats the bird. No accusing remarks were aimed at any private owners. What was said was-----

Dan's words """"I don't and hopefully no other parrot or other critter owner would practice limiting food to get a "Pet" to do what they want it to and when they want it to.""""

"""""all people don't treat there trained parrots that way. Sorry, Jayd """""

No one said that they did.

The woman said """"""She does know 5 things on Que and may perform them if she "feels like it", empty crop or not.""""""

I told the person here the same thing before you contacted that woman.

What I said was--""""""the many intricate *tricks* they do are usually done when they wanna do them and usually it's them that decides when they wanna do it and where they wanna do it and most of the time they're doing them alone."""""

On to other things

A person here who wants to know about healing agents is told by me to use Aloe Vera Gel which has been proven to be totally safe.

I also spoke about not using aloe gel from aloe plants unless they knew what they were doing. I even supplied a photo of a medicinal aloe plant so that if the person went looking for one, they would recognise it. But just to be confrontational, you just had to tell this person that they should purchase a different type of plant of which you named off. To make things worse, you mentioned that your vet told you that this plant is highly nutritional. You also spoke about chemicals in store bought pure gel. Store bought gel has been used by people for years as well as on birds for years. Vets have constantly recommended it for years. They use it in their offices. They don't recommend plants because they're not ready to give a crash course on how to use one.. Store bought gel won't hurt a bird if accidently ingested. Aloe Gel from plants is thicker and stays on top of the skin for a much longer period of time allowing the bird to scrape at it and possibly swallow some.

Listen, I'll give you some information about aloe plants which is known as a succulent and is directly related to the family of cacti plants. I've been cultivating aloe plants for 15 yrs. I have 10 exotic hybrid species and 6 pure strain species and that doesn't include the aloe picture I put in. Every single aloe plant no matter what species has a gel in it. Without that gel, aloe plants couldn't survive nor could they hibernate during the cold seasons. All of those gels are poisonous. All of the inner substances of cacti are extremely toxic. If some were to leak out of the cactus, the substance would burn the outer skin of the cactus. All aloe plants contain an inner latex bonding in the plant skin that keeps the aloe gel from drying up. Telling people that aloe plants, ANY ALOE PLANTS are nutritional is a very irrisponsible thing to do because novices might actually get the idea that it's all right to feed it to a bird.

Treats----The person here wants to know what to give the bird as far as treats go because this person has difficulty with sunflower seeds. I stay on the safe side and tell the person to feed nuts which are good for the bird, can be eaten quite often with no ill effects. I make sure that I don't mention sunflower seeds but to be confrontational, you tell the person to go and buy hulled sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds, no matter if they're organic or not do the same thing when given in high quantities----possible liver problems . You have no idea how many are gonna be given and more than likely, too many will be given because they're so easy to now feed. Remember, you're one of the people telling others to avoid them as much as possible. That's called contradiction. People absorb infoirmation be it good or bad, especially new bird owners.

And as a final statement-----you still don't know how professional bird training is accomplished.

Thanks Dave. Forgive me for ever going against anything any one else might say. I stand behind all statement's I've made or make, including Aloe Vera, [as a side note, it was you who said "ANY ALOE PLANTS", ] This isn't being confrontation, it's standing up for myself... What this all boils down to is I sometime's don't agree with you or others, not what's right or wrong.. You've missed quoted me many times in this post, So, using your own words, Damage can be done by misinformation, Your post might destroy me, but it's hurting this forum much more. I've always shown my respect towards you and asked nothing in return, I'm sorry you feel this way, and if the p owers that be feels I should be banned or have this post removed, so be it.. New things are being found each day, and sometimes we have to change our beliefs, we can't be all right all the time, and I'm the first to give credit where credit is do. And Dave, you've made untrue statements about me, that's ok, I forgive you for you truly don't know me. Dan, Talon, please don't remove this post or lock this thread, It wouldn't be fair to me. Dave, when someone asks me who I feel knows much about parrots, I reply "Dave007", but I still have the right to disagree with you.

I will no longer make any post's to this thread, no-mater if there inflammatory or not...

Thank You

Jay d

Why was Einstein mentioned? It's because another poster in this thread brought up the well known Einstein. That Einstein is a professionally trained grey who tours and is shown as a talented bird who's able to do unusual things. The woman shown with Einstein isn't even the owner. She's a professional bird handler. The other Einstein isn't trained to do these types of things. The owner of that bird isn't a trainer. The bird is constantly put on You Tube because of it's amazing talking abilities. Never tricks, just talking. I've been on her subscription list for 3 years. But just to be confrontational, you just couldn't resist the opportunity to ask her about how she treats the bird. No accusing remarks were aimed at any private owners. What was said was-----

Dan's words """"I don't and hopefully no other parrot or other critter owner would practice limiting food to get a "Pet" to do what they want it to and when they want it to.""""

"""""all people don't treat there trained parrots that way. Sorry, Jayd """""

No one said that they did.

The woman said """"""She does know 5 things on Que and may perform them if she "feels like it", empty crop or not.""""""

I told the person here the same thing before you contacted that woman.

What I said was--""""""the many intricate *tricks* they do are usually done when they wanna do them and usually it's them that decides when they wanna do it and where they wanna do it and most of the time they're doing them alone."""""

On to other things

A person here who wants to know about healing agents is told by me to use Aloe Vera Gel which has been proven to be totally safe.

I also spoke about not using aloe gel from aloe plants unless they knew what they were doing. I even supplied a photo of a medicinal aloe plant so that if the person went looking for one, they would recognise it. But just to be confrontational, you just had to tell this person that they should purchase a different type of plant of which you named off. To make things worse, you mentioned that your vet told you that this plant is highly nutritional. You also spoke about chemicals in store bought pure gel. Store bought gel has been used by people for years as well as on birds for years. Vets have constantly recommended it for years. They use it in their offices. They don't recommend plants because they're not ready to give a crash course on how to use one.. Store bought gel won't hurt a bird if accidently ingested. Aloe Gel from plants is thicker and stays on top of the skin for a much longer period of time allowing the bird to scrape at it and possibly swallow some.

Listen, I'll give you some information about aloe plants which is known as a succulent and is directly related to the family of cacti plants. I've been cultivating aloe plants for 15 yrs. I have 10 exotic hybrid species and 6 pure strain species and that doesn't include the aloe picture I put in. Every single aloe plant no matter what species has a gel in it. Without that gel, aloe plants couldn't survive nor could they hibernate during the cold seasons. All of those gels are poisonous. All of the inner substances of cacti are extremely toxic. If some were to leak out of the cactus, the substance would burn the outer skin of the cactus. All aloe plants contain an inner latex bonding in the plant skin that keeps the aloe gel from drying up. Telling people that aloe plants, ANY ALOE PLANTS are nutritional is a very irrisponsible thing to do because novices might actually get the idea that it's all right to feed it to a bird.

Treats----The person here wants to know what to give the bird as far as treats go because this person has difficulty with sunflower seeds. I stay on the safe side and tell the person to feed nuts which are good for the bird, can be eaten quite often with no ill effects. I make sure that I don't mention sunflower seeds but to be confrontational, you tell the person to go and buy hulled sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds, no matter if they're organic or not do the same thing when given in high quantities----possible liver problems . You have no idea how many are gonna be given and more than likely, too many will be given because they're so easy to now feed. Remember, you're one of the people telling others to avoid them as much as possible. That's called contradiction. People absorb infoirmation be it good or bad, especially new bird owners.

And as a final statement-----you still don't know how professional bird training is accomplished.

Thanks for your advice on training my bird everyone. I really appreciate any advice I can get on intentional training, because all the "training" i've ever done was saying something over and over to Zoe Ann or Joe until they started mimicking it.

I have decided to try broken up pieces of banana chips. Ones that are all natural with no-added sugars and tiny enough to eat in one chomp!

I'm sorry if I have ignited some sort of quarrel between a few of you, those were not my intentions. I was simply saying I had seen Einstein on youtube. I really hope that beautiful bird is not being starved! I certainly won't do that to Sully! When he wants to do the "tricks" or commands, he can... I just wanted to teach him that these trainings that I am doing with him are positive, then he can decide when he wants to do them :) Sound about right?

Oh! And we started saying "bye bye" whenever we leave the house, and we're hoping he will pick up on that soon! Then we will start with "hello" in a couple weeks :)

Thanks again everyone!

OH! And one more thing... which is better to "train" on? A Table-top T stand, or casually, like on the door of his cage or while we're sitting on the couch? I've heard positive things about both :)

I received the aviator harness today and watched the video to learn the proper training technique. I started working with Neo with just touches as the video described. The training did not go well and I think part of it is due to the fact that I skipped step one which was to move him to a place with no distractions. So we will try again tomorrow!

My second response arrived, I sent both Einsteins a email yesterday, one came yesterday, one today. I wish to apologize to both of them, for the comments made, I feel responsible for this, I take the blame completely. Here's there reply, thank you.....Forgive me for the trouble I've caused.....Jayd

Hi Jayd,

I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. Einstein is fed very well every day; in fact, according to her keepers, she usually leaves food in her bowl. She is also weighed every day to make sure she is maintaining a healthy weight. The treats she gets when she performs are sunflower seeds and peanuts, things she particularly enjoys, and they are used as a positive reward for doing what her trainers ask. She loves having an audience, and enjoys the attention she gets as well.

If Einstein wasn’t happy and healthy, she wouldn’t be the amazing performer that she is. And as an institution that is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), we follow strict guidelines regarding the welfare and treatment of our animals. Plus, she’s an exceptional bird and we’re very fond of her; we would never put her welfare in jeopardy for the sake of a performance. It’s all done on her schedule around here-she’s definitely our resident zoo diva.

Thanks for your email and your concern about Einstein. Hope you have a lovely weekend,

Tina

Tina Rolen

Assistant Director of Marketing

Knoxville Zoo

865.637.5331, ext. 377

Facebook: facebook.com/knoxvillezoo

Twitter: @knoxvillezoo

Edited by Jayd
Changed yo to to.....

I am re-posting this to put this topic back on track.

First tricks?

We all have things our birds do that can be considered "tricks" not taught like a performance, but little things they do for us to get our attention in our loving homes. I have many that my birds do, and I have taught them for my own enjoyment, they relish in the attention, and I relish in the fun in interacting with them. Let's share some of the fun things (tricks) our birds may do for us to show off!

Talon